PDA

View Full Version : Decision time! Compare and Contrast!

Nairblop
03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm looking to replace my Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 6.5" comp set with one of the following. I'm hoping to get as many responses as possible by people who have had the chance to compare two or more of these sets. I'll be doing a serious deadening job on my doors when I install my new set (whatever it turns out to be), but as of right now, all I can say is that the Kappa Perfects' midbass seems to be lacking, and the tweeters are too harsh with any kind of real volume. I listen to a wide variety of music, from hip-hop and bebop to independent rock and death metal. I'll most likely be moving the Kappa woofers to the rear and running 70W x 4. Here are the sets I've been looking into:

Alpine SPX-17REF

Polk Momo MMC6500

MB Quart PCE 216

Phoenix Gold RSD 6cs

CDT CL62

So what can you guys tell me about the characteristics of each set? The more specific, the better. And like I said, for any of you that have owned or auditioned two or more of these sets, your input is especially valuable. Thanks a lot! :)

tcguy85
03-24-2008, 09:07 PM
i have heard the 6.1's and the rsd65cs's and i prefer the rsd's.

what is the max $ you wanna spend?

and i think you need more power. 70 per side to a set of comps just isn't enough, at least for me. maybe ditch the rears and bridge the amp to whatever fronts you get.

Nairblop
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
I wanna stay in the $150 - $170 range, new or used. I've considered bridging the amp to the fronts, but 200W x 2 is too much for most of these comps. Not to mention I'm among the few that prefer a rear fill. I don't think, like most of you guys do, that it detracts from the front stage. Rather, it seems to round it out, giving a more immersive experience.

tcguy85
03-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I wanna stay in the $150 - $170 range, new or used. I've considered bridging the amp to the fronts, but 200W x 2 is too much for most of these comps. Not to mention I'm among the few that prefer a rear fill. I don't think, like most of you guys do, that it detracts from the front stage. Rather, it seems to round it out, giving a more immersive experience.

i can tell ya that 200x2 will do good on the rsd's. i have even more then that on mine, and active as well, so no passives to soak some of it up.

Nairblop
03-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the input tcguy. I'm considering the RSDs largely because of the great feedback you've given on them. As for the others, I know you guys are probably sick of 6.5" component threads (believe me, I've read through a shitload of them), but I'd really appreciate some more opinions.

Nairblop
03-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm also strongly considering the Cadence CLV-6Ks. Come on guys, help me out!

DejaWiz
03-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Don't forget the Cerwin V-Max65's. And from your list, the RSD's and the Momo's. I wouldn't mess with the Alpine REF's, only the PRO's. Can't comment on the MBQ's.

iowaaurora
03-26-2008, 05:41 PM
what i would do is listen to the ones you can
and pick what you like
not what i like

but i would defintly throw dls ms6a in there on the short list

but i hear them dayily and love them
you may not

Nairblop
03-26-2008, 08:08 PM
I know that it's ideal to listen to as many of these as possible, but to be honest, it's not always that easy. Here in Wichita, I know of Alpine dealers, possibly one MB Quart dealer (not sure, they might only carry Autotek) and a Polk dealer (Circuit City) that doesn't even carry the Momos. So, listening to Phoenix Gold, Cadence, CDT, or DLS isn't likely to happen.

That's why I rely so much on your guys' opinions. For example, it would be helpful if you could be more specific about why you like the comps you do. Why do you like the MS6As? Why do you like the RSDs and Momos, but not the Alpine REF series? What characteristics do you like in your comps? Smooth or bright tweets? You get the idea.

I'm not trying to be a ****, I just want as many specifics as possible so I can get an idea of what I might enjoy. Hope this helps. Thanks for your replies, by the way.

Extreme SE-R
04-08-2008, 12:00 AM
I've had the Polk Momo6500 for 2 Yrs how..i can tell u the Kappas got nothing on the Polks. the Momo components have been compared with Focal/type x/kappas. Other high end SQ components

I Love the natural sound from the momos, they do need time to break in though.

Polk Momo MMC6500 FTW!!!

Gary S
04-08-2008, 12:07 AM
If those are the old Quarts, I'd take those over any other on your list. The Cerwin's and Alpine Pro's Dejawiz mentioned would be even better.

"that boy asad"
04-08-2008, 12:09 AM
try out the MB Quart PVF 216...

Fast1one
04-08-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm also strongly considering the Cadence CLV-6Ks. Come on guys, help me out!You mean the ones that are 75 shipped? I am doing an install on my buddies TC if you want to wait a bit...those comps plus a TDX-6004 I think and a Dayton RS HO 12...