PDA

View Full Version : am i doin this right...

mgaidica
05-03-2003, 01:24 AM
alright, im ready to embark on my first big fiberglass project. I taped off the bottom to mid section of the space i want to fiberglass. (FYI, this is going to be for my 12" SE's, but with a front baffle board). So i taped and plastic bagged it off... Now what i was thinking would be easiest is take this thicker cotton i got and lay it first on the trunk floor and up to about 6" of the sides. i'll let that set, then to each side, then the back and then once i have 1 layer of the meterial resin'd and hard, just pull it out, if i can, if not work on it in the car. basically make a thin, but tough outer shell to work with, then just lay whatever, 7-8 layers of matting...with just some BS meterial to build up strength and thinkness in between.

Ok, do i need to tape everything off, or tinfoil? or will plastic bag work? I've heard the resin will melt right through it?

When should I mount the front baffle? Should I work on putting fiberglass on the inner box or out?

I might not be able to get the shell out cause my trunk ***** kinda, so what are your suggestions?/?

Thanks, i was told to ask a lot of questions while fiberglassing so i dont F up, thanks a lot guys..

MikeofTulsa
05-03-2003, 01:42 AM
im me man and i'll see what i can do to help ya

HUDI
05-03-2003, 07:23 AM
i used tape it worked fine . yer like u said put the cotton sheet or what ever ur using .resin it all over . sugestion if u make a ring for the sub to mout on out mdf mounting this wher u wnat the sub to sit .ie angle right sub depth right how u hold this there is by making ay wire frame the shpe u want the box to be(this is thrustrating getting it right angles) . ucan mount mdf ring on wire frame 2 ways drill holes in back side of ring or use bit of resin to fix it in place .then cover that with material . do the resin thing , all over ACCEPT WHERE INSIDE OF SUB HOLE . when that dry nice hard . remove it then cut hole for sub . lay the glass on inside (hoping ur got aleast 12inch hole ) heaps layer thiker better stronger .when thats dry start sanding out side it will be easer to sand because ur not sanding the glass what gives it strength material bit eser to sand .

mgaidica
05-03-2003, 01:09 PM
acutally i was thinkin just use a big peice of mdf board, not just circles. like you would only see the front mdf board, no fiberglass. I'm thinking i get done with like 2 layers or something then try to attach the board? i guess there will be some trial and error goin on..

HUDI
05-03-2003, 04:18 PM
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/glassing/
this is what imean it not a original idea but i can say it work . beleave me puting the glass on the inside .saves alot of time &PAIN when it comes to sanding . LOVE THIS DUDE HAIR ON THIS LINK ABOVE ferral head

mgaidica
05-04-2003, 01:03 AM
well u wont see the fiberglass part of my box, so it doesnt matter about the looks or sanding really...

awalbert88
05-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Lucky bastard :p Almost all the glass work in my car will be in plain sight, so the new orbital sander I bought is going to be getting a real work out here soon. Until I get to the later stages, where I'll need to do it all by hand for extra precision... ugh.

Just remember to cover everything before you start. Even stuff that you cannot possibly imagine you could get any resin on, because you will somehow manage to do so. If you can, work in a garage while doing the stuff in the car, because you don't want an unexpected rain storm to come up and ruin things!

Have fun and try not to breath in too many fumes!

mgaidica
05-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Well my basic design is kinda like this - /---\ with the dashes being where the subs are facing the license plat, and the "/ \'s" being where the amps go. and im thinking just use a little fiberglass to smooth the edges out, but its all being carpeted so I wont have to do much sanding.

HUDI
05-04-2003, 06:21 PM
u wont have to worry bout sanding if ur going to cover it just a quick hand sand get rid of sharp bits
when cover try useing like 5mm foam under vynl ??if ur use vynl it smoths alot of bumps &edges out

mgaidica
05-04-2003, 07:06 PM
yup, today i decided to scrap the whole fiberglass thing. I got the floor part done and realized its not going to be worth it, way to much time that I dont have at the moment. So I'm working on my smaller fiberglass project, a pull-out droor wth 2 tweeters and a 7" mid, ill have pics soon.

HUDI
05-04-2003, 08:39 PM
yer it is time cosumming ,i dont think fibre glass saves on weight eather . its just good when u got some funny shapes to make . or trying to get every bit of cu ft u can squeeze into ur box

ramos
05-06-2003, 07:46 AM
Actually comparitively speaking. Glass is alot lighter than MDF. IT takes alot less glass to equal the strength of MDF. :)