PDA

View Full Version : How big of a role does a HU play in SQ?

jake21
03-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I was wondering how big of a role a HU can play in SQ. ive noticed alot of my friends with similar head units have "OK" SQ but other friends with different head units have excelent SQ. Almost all of us play around with the same speakers so those i think are out of the question so ive narrowed it down to the HU.

Loud01Blazer
03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
the hu plays a BIG role in it.

It's like asking, would my subs be louder if i put an amp on them..

phantom240
03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Um. It makes all the difference. In order to get good output, you need good input.

2002XLT
03-21-2008, 01:01 PM
definantly one the biggest parts of it.

Johnny Drama
03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
My next install will be using the stock head unit.

In my opinion find a deck that has the options you want. Most people say they can hear a difference between head units. I cant if they are set up the same.

ramos
03-21-2008, 01:09 PM
To me a head unit in an sq install is icing on the cake . Having the same equipment means nothing really . It's all in how it is installed . :)

ProgMtl
03-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I really never thought a whole lot about it, until now!

Just replaced my Pioneer Premier P780-MP with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X991 and the difference is incredible.

Had the Pioneer tweaked every way I could to get the best sound (and it sounded great and I was happy with it)...wanted something that had faster iPod access (I have 150gb of music on 2 iPods) so I got the Kenwood (has a lot of different sound options than the Pioneer)...just finished tuning it for the 1st iPod (one with only live music on it) yesterday...

And I must say the Pioneer can't hold a candle to the clarity and definition of the Kenwood...by far the best HU I've ever owned.

So I do think a difference can be found in HU's...especially if there are a lot of sound funnctions you can adjust to tune with your specific vehicle.

stuckinok
03-21-2008, 01:15 PM
ever heard the term "Garbage In Garbage Out"?

ramos
03-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Are we talking SQ, sound quality competition , or are we talking sq " i want my chit to sound good with my fo fifteens and 10kw's" BIG difference between the two. :)

James Bang
03-21-2008, 01:23 PM
It would also depend on what type of files the HU is playing.

oldschool4me
03-21-2008, 02:09 PM
It would also depend on what type of files the HU is playing.

i agree, mp3 etc does not have near the sq as original cd. i think most high end hu's will have a difference that is probably not noticable to ones ear. but going fron a rampage or dual to a eclipse cd7000 would be a noticable difference. you get what you pay for. there are some high end comp hu's that dont have high out put either, they are preamp only.

ramos
03-21-2008, 02:31 PM
i agree, mp3 etc does not have near the sq as original cd. i think most high end hu's will have a difference that is probably not noticable to ones ear. but going fron a rampage or dual to a eclipse cd7000 would be a noticable difference. you get what you pay for. there are some high end comp hu's that dont have high out put either, they are preamp only.

Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner . Some of the most sought after high end head units are mearly a dead head with little if any processing built into to them. :)

Johnny Drama
03-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner . Some of the most sought after high end head units are mearly a dead head with little if any processing built into to them. :)

I selling mine :crap:

tcguy85
03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
the HU is very important.

helotaxi
03-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Depends on what you're asking the HU to do. If you have outboard processing and only need a source, the HU plays a very small role, very small. If you're relying on the HU for all your processing well, that's a whole different ball of wax...

tcguy85
03-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Depends on what you're asking the HU to do. If you have outboard processing and only need a source, the HU plays a very small role, very small. If you're relying on the HU for all your processing well, that's a whole different ball of wax...

VERY true.