PDA

View Full Version : Help with my 76 Chevy Nova

Nova76
03-20-2008, 02:47 AM
iv had my Nova for about a year now and iv never had a problem with emistions untill now last year it dint pass at first but i just had to readjust my carb and put 104+ and a bottle or rubbing alcohol and it was good and passed now it dint help at all i just changed all the gaskets on it and idk i think the oil pan gasket might still be leaking would that cause it to smoke right as i get into 3rd when im on the gas like half way or more it smells like its running really rich out the exhuast and idk why any help???

DBDRAGGUY
03-20-2008, 02:51 AM
it is an expensive game, I hated it when we had it. Sounds like your too rich. May even want to swap to a new carb for the test preferable 2 barrell. too many unburned Flurocarbons or some ****.

dman4486
03-20-2008, 02:58 AM
2 barrel for a 350:confused:

maybe for emissions, but you will be choking the hell out of a 350 with 2 barrels

dman4486
03-20-2008, 02:59 AM
is your carb. a vacuum secondary or mechanical?

Nova76
03-20-2008, 03:11 AM
is your carb. a vacuum secondary or mechanical?

its a holly 650 manual secondary i keep it open thought didnt want to run the cable through the firewall as i had a 4 gauge there before

Nova76
03-20-2008, 03:14 AM
it is an expensive game, I hated it when we had it. Sounds like your too rich. May even want to swap to a new carb for the test preferable 2 barrell. too many unburned Flurocarbons or some ****.

sheet says 1st idal, precond reading, precond standard, final reading,2nd idle
hydro carbons - 225 178 120 316 250
carbon 3.25 4.62 1.00 4.88 2.00
monoxide

dman4486
03-20-2008, 03:14 AM
its a holly 650 manual secondary i keep it open thought didnt want to run the cable through the firewall as i had a 4 gauge there before

IMO....the reason you are getting emission problems is because you do not know how to drive a mechanical carb. if you get a vacuum secondary i can almost guarantee you will have no smoke or emission fails

and wtf you talking about having "it open" and running a cable through the firewall?

Nova76
03-20-2008, 03:19 AM
i passed the idel but when i press the gas for the speed teast or whatever it is it smokes way to much the sheets reads the same on the one last year that i passed its just the final readings are WAY WAY to high for it i think like tripled

Nova76
03-20-2008, 03:41 AM
IMO....the reason you are getting emission problems is because you do not know how to drive a mechanical carb. if you get a vacuum secondary i can almost guarantee you will have no smoke or emission fails

and wtf you talking about having "it open" and running a cable through the firewall?

when i took it to a shop when i first got it they said that i would need to run a cable thru my fire wall to a lever or a puller so i can open and close it but i had a 4gauge wire running throught there befor and i dint want to have to drill a new hole and run it

in the picture the square part closest to the front is the choke i have just been leaving it open because when its closed it wont start or even run if the motor is on and i close the choke it shuts off so the only way to run it is open

and i know how to drive my car just fine thank you very much iv never had a problem with her before this

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/ooooooo_photos/0120081529a.jpg

mlstrass
03-20-2008, 03:45 AM
FYI....carb in the picture is a vacuum secondary. Trying changing to a heavier spring, so it won't open so quickly and richen up too much. Also fresh plugs, clean oil, general tune up...

Nova76
03-20-2008, 03:53 AM
o well idk the spring is a little loss on it if i cut it a little shorter should that help?

and i changed the plugs and all that before i went in for the 2nd time so the only thing that it could be in my mind is the carb i mean it is old i think it might need a rebuilb because im getting a little better pick up after changeing the leaking gaskets but it seems like somethings wrong with my carb like its robbing power from her

Nova76
03-20-2008, 03:58 AM
o well idk the spring is a little loss on it if i cut it a little shorter should that help?

and i changed the plugs and all that before i went in for the 2nd time so the only thing that it could be in my mind is the carb i mean it is old i think it might need a rebuilb because im getting a little better pick up after changeing the leaking gaskets but it seems like somethings wrong with my carb like its robbing power from her

Falder
03-20-2008, 10:06 AM
No, cutting the spring won't help.

Nova76
03-20-2008, 02:28 PM
what about putting another one on?

Nova76
03-20-2008, 09:50 PM
its my carb the adjustment screws are all wrong i set them to 1 1/2 or 2 turns out on each side and i checked them when i got home and they were like 4 turns out
what should i do buy a new one, used one or just rebuild this one???:confused:

o and by the way i put 2 new tighter springs on it helpd it alot its not so loss any more

Ignatowski
03-21-2008, 10:05 AM
1976 is not required to pass emmisions in most states,im surprised to read this....Things to do to make it cleaner...
Oil Change,lean the carb,and add a bottle of "Garenteed to pass emmisions " additive

carb screws are usually 1.5-2 out as mentioned - Edelbrock does make cleaner carbs than Holley by far...