PDA

View Full Version : Help guys. Kicker RS components vs SS components

dtbrown
03-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Anyone have experience with these components? Are the SS series really worth the extra money from the RS series? I did a search and people seem to like both but anyone that has experience with these components please feel free to give me some advice. Thanks

davesexplorer
03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Okay I like both. But my observations from each set installed in the sounddeadened doors of my 03 expedition. Both the RS's and SS's are 5 1/4, powered by a Kicker SX700.4. Both sets mounted "coaxially".

The RS's high end response seems okay to me, but frankly it doesn't sound like it extends all the way up in the hz range like the SS's. The low and mid range of the RS's however in my opinion are better than the SS's, maybe the SS's need more power, or need an enclosure for their mids? The clarity of the sets both seem similar with the SS's taking the upper hand IMO.

Both get loud off the 700.4. I got the SSMB8's to help the low end of the SS component set but haven't put em in yet.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2446000-2446999/2446156_18.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2446000-2446999/2446156_21.jpg

dtbrown
03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Thank you very much for this input. I'm not much of a high frequency person. I like rich clear rich midrange out of components. For example I owned some MB Quart 3 ways and they had bad midrange and the tweeter was a little to high for my liking. When it comes to the highs I was planning on mounting the tweeter up high by am A piller and putting the Xover at 0db so maybe that will make up for the lack of highs compared to having them coax mounted down low. What do you think?

I'll be running about 100w each so I would assume that would be enough? Price wise there isn't that much of a difference but is the extra money worth the SS's. When you say the RS's have better midrange that sells me on them but I do worry about the highs breaking up when I turn it up. As long as the RS's tweeter stays clear not harsh at higher volumes I'm sold but if you say over all SQ is better on SS I'll go with those. Again thanks for the input.