PDA

View Full Version : Mileage Question

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:29 AM
I have a 91 accord with about 190K miles.
My problem is that I get 24 MPG on the interstate and 10 MPG in the city.
Can anyone tell me what is the problem? or what is it that I should do?

Thanks

DBDRAGGUY
03-20-2008, 01:31 AM
I have a 91 accord with about 190K miles.
My problem is that I get 24 MPG on the interstate and 10 MPG in the city.
Can anyone tell me what is the problem? or what is it that I should do?

Thanks

buy a new car. 191K is alot even if it is a Honda.

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:32 AM
lol I just won $10 bucks, I bet my friend this is first reply I'll get.
Cant buy a new car.

So anyone with actual help?? Thanks

Steven206Seattl
03-20-2008, 01:33 AM
How hard do you hit the gas at lights? It can also be the way you shift

memphis_vette
03-20-2008, 01:34 AM
lol...change your plugs, new oxygen sensors, new air filter and make sure tires have correct alignment and air pressure should get ya some more MPG

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:34 AM
I drive it very respectfully i.e. not hard at all.
I let the engine warm up before even taking it out and check all fluids regularly.
Its automatic

Steven206Seattl
03-20-2008, 01:37 AM
I drive it very respectfully i.e. not hard at all.
I let the engine warm up before even taking it out and check all fluids regularly.
Its automatic

hmm I'm not too sure. that is a big difference between highway and city. Is it an auto or manual?

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:37 AM
lol...change your plugs, new oxygen sensors, new air filter and make sure tires have correct alignment and air pressure should get ya some more MPG

Ya , I've read all about them but I cant figure out why such a big difference?

blackbonnie
03-20-2008, 01:38 AM

x2, change your plugs and wires along with that ^^^ and it works wonders. my old bonneville had the same problem and got about 12 city. changed the plugs, almost even city and highway

gladiator_jai
hmm I'm not too sure. that is a big difference between highway and city. Is it an auto or manual?

automatic and yeah, if it dropped like 4-6 then ok but 14...:(

Steven206Seattl
Ya , I've read all about them but I cant figure out why such a big difference?

Have you done any of that recently. If not that would be a huge difference doing all of them. Also, get some of that cleaner your pour into your gas tank that will clean your fuel injectors

automatic and yeah, if it dropped like 4-6 then ok but 14...:(

You can see if your transmission is shifting weird in low gears then like if it shifts too early

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:39 AM
x2, change your plugs and wires along with that ^^^ and it works wonders. my old bonneville had the same problem and got about 12 city. changed the plugs, almost even city and highway

kool, so you too had such a big difference?

memphis_vette
because with new plugs u burn fuel more efficiently and with new oxygen sensors it allows correct ammount of oxygen to pass through meaning more fuel efficiency and correct allignment and pressure meants not running low or too high or not aligned means straighter drive and not running on low/flat tires make it hard to keep speed...does that work?

gladiator_jai
kool, I'll get new plugs, air filter and a bottle of chevron techtron :)
and I check the air pressure in the tires regularly so that is not an issue

MyFartsStink

What plugs are you talking about? And what wiring. Is this a do it myself thing? I have always wondered this.

blackbonnie
03-20-2008, 01:41 AM
spark plugs, very easy

memphis_vette
well my corvette gets 28-31 (31 on a good day) and i only get about 18-20 in city...but i do also need to change plugs the car is a 98 and havent changed them since

gladiator_jai
What plugs are you talking about? And what wiring. Is this a do it myself thing? I have always wondered this.

I think he meant spark plugs

memphis_vette
03-20-2008, 01:42 AM
yea spark plugs...take coil off top of spark plug, get ratchet unscrew plug plop new one in put coil back on...then ur done

memphis_vette
03-20-2008, 01:43 AM
get a cheap chip 100-200 $ and that will make ur car more efficient on gas too...it programs car to run more efficently...not too sure how deep u wanna go in this MPG deal

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:44 AM
Hmm thanks guyz, 1 last question, the fuel injector cleaner should be used before or after changing the spark plugs?

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:44 AM
get a cheap chip 100-200 $ and that will make ur car more efficient on gas too...it programs car to run more efficently...not too sure how deep u wanna go in this MPG deal

not too deep, just want the city mileage to do better.

memphis_vette
03-20-2008, 01:45 AM
use it b4 changing plugs sop then u have new fresh injectors and then put ur plugs in so u have both fresh plugs and injectors

memphis_vette
03-20-2008, 01:45 AM
ok tha the above things should do the trick for ya

MyFartsStink
03-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Hmm thanks guyz, 1 last question, the fuel injector cleaner should be used before or after changing the spark plugs?

Just whenever you fill up your tank. It really helped out my van as it was like vrum vrum vruuum vruuuuuuum vruum. You get the point. Now that is gone. I also heard that if you fill up your tank to 3/4 the way up with regular, then the rest with premium, it helps alot also.

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:49 AM
thanks guys for all your help, appreciate it :)

memphis_vette
03-20-2008, 01:50 AM
hey no problem...lol it just got me thinking that i need to do sum plug changes myself lol...have a good one

IgnoreMe
03-20-2008, 01:59 AM
spark plugs, very easy

not necessarily. some engines are just RETARDED to change plugs on (IE lincoln navigator :crazy:, and the older chevy malibu v6)

secondly, doing a tune up is a great start but honestly no one can tell you straight up what the answer will be. for all we know you could have leaky fuel injectors. leaky fuel injectors will result in them working somewhat properly at highway speeds, but then as soon as you get down in city driving and have a lot of low rpm idling you're just dumping fuel. this is why it can result in normal highway mileage and ****** city driving.

one good way to check for leaky fuel injectors is to put the car in park and rev to about 3k and shut it off. then listen to how the engine comes down. if it stumbles on the way down thats a decent indication.

bad 02 sensors can cause bad gas mileage too, but they will throw check engines lights so if you dont have one, chances are its still functioning decently enough to be considered "good".

your map/maf (whatever your mfg decides to use on that car) can do the same, however again, it should throw a check engine light.

btw, just fill up with chevron instead of the fuel injector cleaner. believe it or not the "techron" they put into the gas is pretty ridiculous at cleaning. in fact it was so good at cleaning that the poppet valves on some GM engines we're destroyed because of it. GM was forced to warranty all of these engines for this up to 100k. believe it or not, techs reccommended customers use the chevron gas as much as they could before reaching the 100k warranty mark so that they got free replacement parts, and the techs got more work (this was back in the early 90's IIRC, so it doesnt apply anymore)

does the car run rough or smooth?

Falder
03-20-2008, 09:07 AM
buy a new car. 191K is alot even if it is a Honda.

lol, I have a 91 accord aswell with 230K
Runs great.

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
not necessarily. some engines are just RETARDED to change plugs on (IE lincoln navigator :crazy:, and the older chevy malibu v6)

secondly, doing a tune up is a great start but honestly no one can tell you straight up what the answer will be. for all we know you could have leaky fuel injectors. leaky fuel injectors will result in them working somewhat properly at highway speeds, but then as soon as you get down in city driving and have a lot of low rpm idling you're just dumping fuel. this is why it can result in normal highway mileage and ****** city driving.

one good way to check for leaky fuel injectors is to put the car in park and rev to about 3k and shut it off. then listen to how the engine comes down. if it stumbles on the way down thats a decent indication.

bad 02 sensors can cause bad gas mileage too, but they will throw check engines lights so if you dont have one, chances are its still functioning decently enough to be considered "good".

your map/maf (whatever your mfg decides to use on that car) can do the same, however again, it should throw a check engine light.

btw, just fill up with chevron instead of the fuel injector cleaner. believe it or not the "techron" they put into the gas is pretty ridiculous at cleaning. in fact it was so good at cleaning that the poppet valves on some GM engines we're destroyed because of it. GM was forced to warranty all of these engines for this up to 100k. believe it or not, techs reccommended customers use the chevron gas as much as they could before reaching the 100k warranty mark so that they got free replacement parts, and the techs got more work (this was back in the early 90's IIRC, so it doesnt apply anymore)

does the car run rough or smooth?

It runs pretty smooth.

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
lol, I have a 91 accord aswell with 230K
Runs great.

Did you ever use any fuel system cleaners??

regal8r
03-20-2008, 10:48 AM
because with new plugs u burn fuel more efficiently and with new oxygen sensors it allows correct ammount of oxygen to pass through meaning more fuel efficiency and correct allignment and pressure meants not running low or too high or not aligned means straighter drive and not running on low/flat tires make it hard to keep speed...does that work?
O2 sensors dont ALLOW anything. all they do is measure the exhaust to see how much oxygen it has, and adjusts the AFR (air/fuel ratio) accordingly

well my corvette gets 28-31 (31 on a good day) and i only get about 18-20 in city...but i do also need to change plugs the car is a 98 and havent changed them since
sounds about right...LS1 right? if so, you arent gonna squeeze any more mpg's out with changing plugs...

IgnoreMe
03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
It runs pretty smooth.

well it it runs smooth, you should just look into a good tune up and see where that lands you.

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
well it it runs smooth, you should just look into a good tune up and see where that lands you.

kool, thanks a lot man, I was confused about 1 part , should I or should I not use techtron as there are no chevron stations here

tsenfw
03-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Really could be anything. I say seafoam it and throw some in your gas tank to help the injectors. Check tire pressure.

What does it idle at in traffic? Could be a whacky torque converter.

IgnoreMe
03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
kool, thanks a lot man, I was confused about 1 part , should I or should I not use techtron as there are no chevron stations here

techron is good stuff. if you dont have chevron stations around, then either buy a small bottle of techron (which is usually available at the chevron stations i think lol) or some type of fuel injector cleaner.

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Really could be anything. I say seafoam it and throw some in your gas tank to help the injectors. Check tire pressure.

What does it idle at in traffic? Could be a whacky torque converter.

It idles fine, between 750/800, which is what the manual states

gladiator_jai
03-20-2008, 01:08 PM
techron is good stuff. if you dont have chevron stations around, then either buy a small bottle of techron (which is usually available at the chevron stations i think lol) or some type of fuel injector cleaner.

kool, thanks bro for all your help

Falder
03-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Me personally, no
Can't speak for the past owner, but I wouldn't doubt it.