PDA

View Full Version : help, installed new rims

chinxtaboi
03-19-2008, 11:24 PM
i just installed some rims on my car.. and now when i drive above 45 mph or so.. i hear this like whooshing noise and the faster i go.. the louder it gets. it seems lto be coming from the wheel.. any idea what it could be??? :(

thanks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sebxa6/DSC06394.jpg

goonandbuck
03-19-2008, 11:25 PM
wind?????

hoodkid
03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
might be your tires, my friend had some 20's put on and they make a similar noise when going over speeds of 40, he has very cheap tires, what brand do you have?

lilmaniac2
03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
are they hub centric or lug centric wheels?

hoodkid
03-19-2008, 11:30 PM
didnt know fork lifts go over 40 :eek::eek::wow:

only cause of the NOS

chinxtaboi
03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
i thnk lug centric.. not sure what you mean though..

so tire noise huh.. not sure on the brand ill check in a bit. im thinkin it may be tire noise, since its louder on certain pavements.

thanks

hoodkid
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
My friends brand of tires was "Walni" there very cheap and they arnt the best

crunktimes.com
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
dude your wheels are on backwards, switch them around and the problem should go away

lilmaniac2
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
hub v lug centric

http://www.miata.net/garage/hubcentric.html

jeeper07
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
\ having the tread on the tire backwards causes it... iirc

SyKo13
03-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Why cover teh plates knowing that around your town everyone sees them?

I've never understood that

SyKo13
03-19-2008, 11:44 PM
& it's your tires that make the noise

Stand near the freeway someday and listen to those lifted trucks with the big *** tires pass by

Boggers, are stupid loud

Dingleberry
03-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Wax your headlights, the yellow haze will clear up.

chinxtaboi
03-20-2008, 12:06 AM
so theyre on backwards?.. on the tires it says rotation with an arrow.. and thats how i put them on. or just cheap tires?

yea, im gonna get around to cleanin up the headlights.

thanks

jeeper07
03-20-2008, 12:10 AM
is the arrow pointing the right way? if not that may b it. if its the write way could b u need to get ur tires balanced and make sure ur alignments correct

atoz350
03-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Another thing to check for is that your brake dust shield is not bent down so that its hitting the rotor. If you were struggling to fit the wheels on, you most likely have hit them and bent them. Just bend them back. Also, take the wheel off on the side that you hear the noise and re-install making sure you follow the correct torque specs. and pattern. Sometimes a pebble works its way into the wheel causing noise.

chinxtaboi
03-20-2008, 12:19 AM
yeah the arrows are in the correct direction.

the rims fit on there pretty easy, didnt have trouble puttin them on. im thinkin its the tires, because on different pavements it would be louder than another. as for the balance and alignment, i guess id have to bring it to a tire shop.

pickup1
03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
i think you need to change the air in them!:peace:

Steven206Seattl
03-20-2008, 01:25 AM
lol my friend put his tires on backwards one time and it was loud and rode like ****. Probably can do some good hydro planes

chinxtaboi
03-20-2008, 02:53 AM
i think you need to change the air in them!:peace:

wat do u mean? take out the old air and put new air in?

chinxtaboi
03-22-2008, 03:03 AM
could it be due to that i have diff type of tires on the front and back wheels???

and could balancing be the problem?

Injected54
03-22-2008, 03:52 AM
When you put the wheel on the car and it's still off the ground, take your hand and spin the wheel and see if it spins easy.

Or just jack up the car and spin the tire with your hand, see if it spiny easily or if it's kinda tight. It could be rubbing on your calipers or something behind the rim.

Like Atoz said check your brake dust shield also.

rumple4skin
03-22-2008, 04:13 AM
injected i have liked everything you have had to say man, lesson to this guy he will help you out( and great pic of that chick(smoken hot))

Injected54
03-22-2008, 06:58 AM
injected i have liked everything you have had to say man, lesson to this guy he will help you out( and great pic of that chick(smoken hot))

Thanks rumple :)

azbass
03-22-2008, 09:00 AM
change your blinker fluid and the noise will go away

quakerroatmeal
03-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Lower profile tires, thin sidewalls = louder road noise? Maybe wheel bearing? Has he tried putting the stock wheels back on and seeing if it still made any noise.

chinxtaboi
03-22-2008, 11:59 AM
they all spin fine when i test them jackd up. ill go see what the guys at disc tires say.. im just worried theyre gonna be like all this **** is wrong and its gonna cost gajillion dollars.

rumple4skin
03-22-2008, 12:06 PM
why i ask questions on the Internet man, anyone you hand your car to charges you a arm and a leg. more often then not do a **** pour job that you would have done better and for 85% less cost.

davidfre21
03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
pull the wheels and look at the rotors, sometimes from factory they will install retaining clips on the lug studs to keep the rotors from falling off. These can cause new wheels not to sit right when u mount them. Usualy causes a vibration but who knows might make noise also. Also cheap tires FTL :crap:

Chevillac
03-22-2008, 12:23 PM
thats them blades choppin

Spider Monkey
03-24-2008, 03:09 PM
& it's your tires that make the noise

Stand near the freeway someday and listen to those lifted trucks with the big *** tires pass by

Boggers, are stupid loud

This is fact. People get out of the way though. :fyi:

chinxtaboi
03-24-2008, 04:06 PM
guy at disc tires says its because how the back tires are worn. three of the tires are pretty new, one is used up a bit. but he recommended i buy two new tires.

NoobieAudio
03-24-2008, 11:04 PM
are they hub centric or lug centric wheels?

chances are they ar only lug centric. hard to make a hub centric real versatle

Alpine CDA-9815
03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
They are probably lug centric. Make sure the wheels are torqued down correctly, this should help. Though you'll need to get some hub rings.

NoobieAudio
03-24-2008, 11:28 PM
i have never heard more uneducated solutions to his problems lol. anyway dude if you got low tread on your tires then they will be noisey, also new tires that are cheap can be real noisey. any sorta balance problem you might have or think you have would be caused by either different size tires or different brand tires. to different tires on the same axel is bad news even if they are similar tread patterens. anyway you know how old the tires are? don't judge the life of the tire by it's tread. look all over your tire till you see something that says DOT. the DOT will have three sets of numbers and or letters. the third set should be only numbers and 4 digits long. if all you can find is 2 sets of numbers and letters with no third set of only numbers look on the other side of the tire. that 4 digit number is your DOT number. the first two digits represent the week of the year and the last two represent the year. EXAMPLE: 0908, means the tire was made in the ninth week of 2008. anyway if your tires are more then 4 years old, time for new ones dispite tread life or milage warrenty. if you get new tires try to get some dunlop DZ101's in your size i think you'd like them. they are cheap and work well while looking ******. also about every other oil change or every 6,000-8,000 miles get your tires rotated and balance. make sure to check your airpressure once a month. the air pressure is not what it says on the side wall of the tire. that is bad. if your tires are the same size that came on it factory then open your driver door and look around the metal area for a door plaquered. it should say your reccomened tire size and pressure for that size. if you get a after market tire size ask your tire shop what they recommend so you know what to keep it at.

also balancing problems cause vibrations not sound, and as long as you have the same tires on the same axle they won't cause noise because of that although on set might be noisier then the other

NoobieAudio
03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
They are probably lug centric. Make sure the wheels are torqued down correctly, this should help. Though you'll need to get some hub rings.

proper torqueing is a saftey issuse not a sound issue and hubcentric is not going to cause tire noise either. there are plenty of old cars neither lug nor hub centric (almost every car today is both) and they don't make anymore noise then ones that do. all hub and lug really do is provded a better ride and prevent wheel hop from faulty mounting

Andrew2006
03-24-2008, 11:35 PM
seems lto be coming from the wheel.. any idea what it could be???

it could be a wheel bearing my blazer did it to me when i had my 20s on

Alpine CDA-9815
03-25-2008, 03:50 AM
proper torqueing is a saftey issuse not a sound issue and hubcentric is not going to cause tire noise either. there are plenty of old cars neither lug nor hub centric (almost every car today is both) and they don't make anymore noise then ones that do. all hub and lug really do is provded a better ride and prevent wheel hop from faulty mounting
Safty issue? lol