PDA

View Full Version : How did Rainbow get to be such a huge boner?

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
It seems like everyone I talk to about Rainbow says "They don't get loud enough" or "These things have NO midbass." Theres a thread or two just about every month where people have blown their woofers and / or tweeters.

Yes, I know they sound great in the upper end, but it just seems like everyone I talk to doesn't like them, but tries to justify it by saying "But ZoMg it's Rainbow! They sound good!"

How come everyone recommends Rainbow so much even though so many people are dissatisfied with em?

perfecxionX
03-19-2008, 03:59 PM
ive noticed this as well

kickerlivinloud
03-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Personally I love my rainbows!! They blow anything that I've used or even heard out of the water. (however I have not heard that many others)

Just my .02

Pl8er
03-19-2008, 04:01 PM
I saw the rainbow thread (slc's for sale) and was actually going to post that I would rather pick up some PG RSD for 87 than spend the price on rainbow.

I think the rainbows *DO* sound better (slightly better upper end). But I am almost as satisfied with my 87 dollar speakers.

quakerroatmeal
03-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Cause people tend to over hype everything? Most people who recommend most the time haven't even tried them out. I agree I do the same but I normally research a product before I purchase, I read good reviews about it I haven't really looked it up/read any bad reviews on it.

WhoSayWho?
03-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Moar product out there = moar people who are satsified
and moar who have problems

Fvcking newb.

Flipx99
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
A couple people bought into them because they perceived them as a luxury item....then spread the word about said luxury item to further justify the purchase.

With that being said, I haven't found a tweeter I like better than my Cal27.

ToyTundra
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
lemings

aeon
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
i liked my rainbow cmx kicks. they had some pretty good mid-bass and got loud enough for me.

i'm running some hertz speakers right now and i like them better, but they lack the mid-bass i had from the cmx kicks.

Etac
03-19-2008, 04:13 PM
i love my cal 25 tweet.. the cmx kick mids... well its weird
they sounded amazing on some songs and just not right on others
i think they had a breakup somewhere close to their crossover point which added unwanted detail that (as stated before) would be a good thing or bad.. since i blew a mid i cant do it now.. but i have a feeling if i crossed them lower - active- they would of sounded much better

bikinpunk
03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
For the price, the SLC 265's are great. I recommend them because of that.

No way I'd spend $160+ for Type-R's or the like when a bit more could get me rainbows.

And half the people that are blowing these speakers don't know what they're buying and/or don't know how to install.

Sure the PG's are cheap, but they are cheap. I've heard them and they sounded like a $100 component set to me. Now, given the right install, they could've sounded better, but my point is that, like most things, you get what you pay for but your install better be more important than the speaker you choose.

danz24
03-19-2008, 04:51 PM
I have a thread right now where I admit blowing my rainbow tweeters. It was my fault though, not the tweeter. I loved that tweeter, and so does everyone who has heard it.

spark plugs.
03-19-2008, 04:55 PM
i've got the rainbow profi's and i absolutely love them. this is coming from a guy that had type-r's, mb quart premiums, and boston acoustics sl's and pro's.

i absolutely LOVE boston acoustics products and they're solidly built and their speakers sound AWESOME...that being said, i took a chance when i tried rainbow slc's. i preferred my boston SL's...but they still sounded good. i got a good price on the rainbow profi's so i decided to try them. wow. just wow. i love them and i think that rainbow completely lives up to the hype.

galacticmonkey
03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
bcuz omg itz raynbowz

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 05:42 PM

Fvcking newb.

Have you noticed how many people have RSDs and love em? I think that's a well-deserved boner... cheap, good midbass, good output, and minimal problems.

Rainbow is expensive and a lot of people have problems. People rant and rave about the tweeters, but thats about it.

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 09:06 PM
bump for teh fanbois

headless
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I'd rant and rave about my Rainbows here, but nobody here wants to actually throw down some cash to buy them anyway, and I'm too busy listening to their gloriously ungodly clear loudness to care whether you perceive they are good value or not. The Rainbows in my car get so loud all by themselves that my side mirrors (in heavily deadened doors) shake badly enough that I can't see anything in them. Note that I posted my extreme satisfaction for these speakers, then essentially dissapeared for a few months. Why? Because i'm happy; why post about them when they're awesome and i'm satisfied? On the other hand, someone with problems for whatever reason is going to post here, repeatedly and loudly... and so you get a perception that people don't like them. But when someone asks about what to buy, people come and recommend them - because they are happy with them. See the pattern? People who dislike post when they are unhappy...people who like post when people ask about what to buy, saying they recommend them. Thus the '2 faces' that you referred to as far as people not being satisfied 'but still recommending them'.

I think the people you see complaining about their experiences buy the lower quality lines from Rainbow, pair them with very loud sub stages (2x12w7's @ 600$+ each matched with a pair of rainbow SLC's? Come on now, give me a ****ing break) and then are confused when they don't match up well. Often times, they are shoddily installed on top of that, leaving much to be desired. News flash; if you want to spend 800$+ on an excessively loud sub stage - you need to spend that kind of cash on your front stage to find something directly comparable. I think the lower rainbow lines are excellent - when they are matched with modest sub stages in the same price range.

Etac
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Have you noticed how many people have RSDs and love em? I think that's a well-deserved boner... cheap, good midbass, good output, and minimal problems.

Rainbow is expensive and a lot of people have problems. People rant and rave about the tweeters, but thats about it.

minimal problems? im not saying its not within an acceptable range.. but i've seen quite a few post with ppl having an issue with them, so thats kind of an unfair statement (rsds)

slick rick
03-19-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd rant and rave about my Rainbows here, but nobody here wants to actually throw down some cash to buy them anyway, and I'm too busy listening to their gloriously ungodly clear loudness to care whether you perceive they are good value or not. The Rainbows in my car get so loud all by themselves that my side mirrors (in heavily deadened doors) shake badly enough that I can't see anything in them. Note that I posted my extreme satisfaction for these speakers, then essentially dissapeared for a few months. Why? Because i'm happy; why post about them when they're awesome and i'm satisfied? On the other hand, someone with problems for whatever reason is going to post here, repeatedly and loudly... and so you get a perception that people don't like them. But when someone asks about what to buy, people come and recommend them - because they are happy with them. See the pattern? People who dislike post when they are unhappy...people who like post when people ask about what to buy, saying they recommend them. Thus the '2 faces' that you referred to as far as people not being satisfied 'but still recommending them'.

I think the people you see complaining about their experiences buy the lower quality lines from Rainbow, pair them with very loud sub stages (2x12w7's @ 600$+ each matched with a pair of rainbow SLC's? Come on now, give me a ****ing break) and then are confused when they don't match up well. Often times, they are shoddily installed on top of that, leaving much to be desired. News flash; if you want to spend 800$+ on an excessively loud sub stage - you need to spend that kind of cash on your front stage to find something directly comparable. I think the lower rainbow lines are excellent - when they are matched with modest sub stages in the same price range.

+1...still lovin my Germs. ;)

Beerdrnkr
03-19-2008, 11:05 PM
+1...still lovin my Germs. ;)

x2....I love mine so much I bought a second pair of mids to run an active 3way with.

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Here's what kills me... I can pick up a pair of MB Quart PCE 216s for <$200... they get ridiculously loud, have strong midbass, they're crystal clear, and have sharp and defined highs... Not to mention I sent mine 200w no problem, and they are convertible between coaxial and component configurations.

Few people buy them, though, because every time somone brings them up people go "MB Quarts have bright highs!!1!!1!1!!" But relatively few people have heard them. I've owned 4 or 5 sets of MB Quart components, and when installed and tuned correctly, they aren't bright at all.

Let's take the SLCs for example... They're in roughly the same price range, but I hear complaint after complaint after complaint about them. I've talked to 5 or 6 people who wanted rid of them because they were dissatisfied with em. Yet people still hump Rainbows' leg.

As far as the Germs go, you'd better be happy with those for what you pay for em. Whew.

James Bang
03-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Maybe the people dissatisfied w/ the rainbows have ****** installs.

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I've talked to lots of people who have very well deadened doors and the midbass *****.

bikinpunk
03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Another reason is people may go with Rainbow (and honestly was one of my reasons initially) is because they're not a well known brand outside of the forums.

spl guru
03-19-2008, 11:15 PM

Fvcking newb.

Did you just learn to spell?

James Bang
03-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Did you just learn to spell?

He's just trying to be cool. It's just like the people that go "lawl" or "nom nom."

Beerdrnkr
03-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Here's what kills me... I can pick up a pair of MB Quart PCE 216s for <$200... they get ridiculously loud, have strong midbass, they're crystal clear, and have sharp and defined highs... Not to mention I sent mine 200w no problem, and they are convertible between coaxial and component configurations.

Few people buy them, though, because every time somone brings them up people go "MB Quarts have bright highs!!1!!1!1!!" But relatively few people have heard them. I've owned 4 or 5 sets of MB Quart components, and when installed and tuned correctly, they aren't bright at all.

Let's take the SLCs for example... They're in roughly the same price range, but I hear complaint after complaint after complaint about them. I've talked to 5 or 6 people who wanted rid of them because they were dissatisfied with em. Yet people still hump Rainbows' leg.

As far as the Germs go, you'd better be happy with those for what you pay for em. Whew.

IMO the Germs blow the MB's out of the water. I've had a 3way set of the Reference line components and had a friend who was running the PCE's and it's not even a close comparison. You have to compare apples to apples! A set of well tuned rainbows I'm sure would also sound nicely. You ***** about people complaining about the MB Quarts and never actually hearing them themselves and your doing the same thing complaining about rainbows when you've never heard them. I think if you tune and deaden well enough you can make almost any component set sound decent. All I know is that the Germs have the most detail out of a lot of component sets I've heard. $350 isn't all that much for a set of germs ;)

spl guru
03-19-2008, 11:26 PM
He's just trying to be cool. It's just like the people that go "lawl" or "nom nom."

Moar? Just saying, its hard to criticize people when you cant spell.. naw mean?

headless
03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
IMO, if it takes a good install and lots of tuning to make the MBQ's NOT sound 'bright' - they sound 'bright'. You're just fixing the brightness (nasty volume spikes at some freqs) with an EQ.

Some people will always be dissatisfied with a product that is good; i've seen people whine about the quality of plenty of high end speakers. I take such opinions with a large grain of salt; the proof is in the pudding.

Anyway, the Power Line CS utterly obliterates MBQ's excuse for loud clarity. :) I've heard the PCE's and the Germaniums and i'd go for the Germaniums no questions asked. They are way more flexible of a set and they just sound smoother and more balanced. Moving up into the Profi and Power Line brings you well beyond the 'best' MBQ has to offer (QSD series); perhaps you should listen to a few sets and decide for yourself.

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 11:29 PM
You've got to compare apples to apples, dude. Germs would be more or less equivalent with the QSDs. PCEs aren't anywhere near the Rainbow refs... by thousands of dollars lol.

No one I know has Rainbows, but I've talked to a lot of people who have Rainbows. Most people say MBQ is harsh out of hearsay, and have never heard em personally. I talk directly to people who have Rainbows.

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 11:31 PM
IMO, if it takes a good install and lots of tuning to make the MBQ's NOT sound 'bright' - they sound 'bright'. You're just fixing the brightness (nasty volume spikes at some freqs) with an EQ.

Anyway, the Power Line CS utterly obliterates MBQ's excuse for loud clarity. :)

Again, I've owned several sets of MBQs and it's not hard at all to make them sound bright, and it's not hard at all to make them smooth. There's a jumper on the crossover that fixes that brightness.

And about loud clarity... you should hear my van :)

headless
03-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Again, I've owned several sets of MBQs and it's not hard at all to make them sound bright, and it's not hard at all to make them smooth. There's a jumper on the crossover that fixes that brightness.

And about loud clarity... you should hear my van :)

3-way active custom speaker sets aren't exactly comparable to MBQ's speaker set line-up... but OK :) I'd put a single set of power line CS's up against your 3-way any day anyway....

By the jumper on the x-over, are you referring to the tweeter level adjustment? If you make your tweets much quieter to fix a freq spike at a specific frequency, you may fix the 'brightness' but you're also sacrificing volume across the tweeter's frequency range... perhaps there's a jumper that adjusts the x-over point for mids and the tweeters?

I still find it amusing you are complaining about people saying the MBQ's are harsh without listening to them, when you're complaining about the Rainbow's lacking midbass - also without hearing them. :rolleyes:

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 11:40 PM
3-way active custom speaker sets aren't exactly comparable to MBQ's speaker set line-up... but OK :) I'd put a single set of power line CS's up against your 3-way any day anyway....

By the jumper on the x-over, are you referring to the tweeter level adjustment? If you make your tweets much quieter to fix a freq spike at a specific frequency, you may fix the 'brightness' but you're also sacrificing volume across the tweeter's frequency range... perhaps there's a jumper that adjusts the x-over point for mids and the tweeters?

I still find it amusing you are complaining about people saying the MBQ's are harsh without listening to them, when you're complaining about the Rainbow's lacking midbass - also without hearing them. :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is, I've talked to lots of people who own them. People who bash MBQ just heard from a dude who heard from a dude usually...

krisfnbz
03-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I own a set of the SLX265's... just want to put my input on the whole matter. When I first joined the forum... I didnt know ****. I was a complete *******... and still probably am compared to alot of people on here.

I decided to buy a pair of rainbows because alot of people on here had raved about how good they were and etc. I paid a buck 150...Which I still think was a good price for these speakers. I have owned them with no deadening.....and then with some.... and finally as of last week I completely deadened my doors. I can tell a big big difference with my doors being fully complete finally inside and out the way I wanted to have them done since day 1. I just did not have the time/ nor knowledge as I do now VS even just 1 year ago. But I have heard a pair of K2P's installed and fully deadened and they completely destroy my mid-bass....and overall are just so much better in SQ.... but they are fuvking BRIGHT speakers. and they are powered by a steg amp.

I would say that alot of people rave about them because they are good speakers. They might not be "worth" the extra money VS what elseis out there cheaper.... but everyone has their own opinion I guess?

I dont like "Bright" and "Harsh" Sounds....but I have only ever owned a pair of CDT comps, and these rainbow comps.

headless
03-19-2008, 11:44 PM
What I'm saying is, I've talked to lots of people who own them. People who bash MBQ just heard from a dude who heard from a dude usually...

So, how does the jumper work?

jmanpc
03-19-2008, 11:49 PM
It just attenuates the tweeter. I never noticed any nasty spikes in the frequency response of the tweeter. No speaker, period will ever have a completely flat freq response in-car, and those are dealt with by using something called an 'equalizer'. Don't know if you've ever heard of 'em. Might wanna look into em.

filtor1
03-20-2008, 12:41 AM
A couple people bought into them because they perceived them as a luxury item....then spread the word about said luxury item to further justify the purchase.

Same here. :D

WhoSayWho?
03-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Moar? Just saying, its hard to criticize people when you cant spell.. naw mean?

If I wanted to criticize you it would not be too hard since you are applying asphalt to your vehicle.:laugh:

tcguy85
03-20-2008, 12:59 AM
minimal problems? im not saying its not within an acceptable range.. but i've seen quite a few post with ppl having an issue with them, so thats kind of an unfair statement (rsds)

i think it's 99% install issues. how many people have you heard blowing a mid or tweet? not many.

Flipx99
03-20-2008, 01:06 AM
i think it's 99% install issues. how many people have you heard blowing a mid or tweet? not many.

Actually several....because they don't know wtf they are doing. They are stupid asses who get Rainbow gear "cuz da cool kids do" fvck up the install and blame the equipment.

I am just as guilty....when I started out with the slcs I blew the tweeter protection light and I thought it was the equipment. But instead of making a thread, I PMed the 6spdcoupe...he helped me out and I went on to buy more from him later. Do I have Rainbow mids? No...is it because they are bad? No, it is because hertz makes a 8" midbass less than 2" deep and Rainbow doesn't.

tcguy85
03-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Actually several....because they don't know wtf they are doing. They are stupid asses who get Rainbow gear "cuz da cool kids do" fvck up the install and blame the equipment.

I am just as guilty....when I started out with the slcs I blew the tweeter protection light and I thought it was the equipment. But instead of making a thread, I PMed the 6spdcoupe...he helped me out and I went on to buy more from him later. Do I have Rainbow mids? No...is it because they are bad? No, it is because hertz makes a 8" midbass less than 2" deep and Rainbow doesn't.

sorry, lol. i was reffering to the rsd's. they were mentioned earlier in this thread, the post i quoted was a comment regarding the rsd's.

anyway.... the rainbow boner i think has calmed down a lot here.

bikinpunk
03-20-2008, 01:22 AM
sorry, lol. i was reffering to the rsd's. they were mentioned earlier in this thread, the post i quoted was a comment regarding the rsd's.

Indeed, and anyone here can honestly agree that the RSD's has taken Rainbow's spot. ;)

tcguy85
03-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Indeed, and anyone here can honestly agree that the RSD's has taken Rainbow's spot. ;)

yup! :) i have contributed quite a bit to that, i know it. lol

spark plugs.
03-20-2008, 08:19 AM

definitely a major problem

Beerdrnkr
03-20-2008, 10:14 AM
I have a set of RSD's coming in for my dads new car, so I'll be able to see if they live up to all the hype. Are these supposed to be better than the Pioneer Rev's?

krisfnbz
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Apparently they are suppost to be really good speakers. I want to hear a pair!

nismos14
03-20-2008, 05:25 PM

I don't even own rainbows anymore, but I had SLC's in my car and the midbass was AMAZING. I could run without subs and audition them and people asked me what sub I had. They shook the **** out of my front seats.

I chalk up those complaining to 1) poor installs, 2) buying a high end SQ set, and expecting extreme loudness from them, 3) both 1 and 2.

For all those complaints that you hear, have you heard each one of those setups? Do you know how many people have purchased the SLC's? Thousands of people, and most were very well satisfied. I told you about those mb's in my gf's car... vomit... lol... sorry but they don't sound good AT ALL, even with eq etc.

Maybe the people dissatisfied w/ the rainbows have ****** installs.

+1

I've talked to lots of people who have very well deadened doors and the midbass *****.

There's got to be something wrong with their install or something, which series rainbows were they?

You've got to compare apples to apples, dude. Germs would be more or less equivalent with the QSDs. PCEs aren't anywhere near the Rainbow refs... by thousands of dollars lol.

No one I know has Rainbows, but I've talked to a lot of people who have Rainbows. Most people say MBQ is harsh out of hearsay, and have never heard em personally. I talk directly to people who have Rainbows.

So you've never actually heard any?

I've heard many sets of the q's, and multiple sets of rainbows. MBQ's have lacked midbass more than any other comp set I've ever heard, in properlly setup installs no less. Rainbows have owned them in midbass and midrange clarity, and the tweeters sound natural, I've never heard an MBQ tweet that sounded natural.

Slammed
03-20-2008, 05:30 PM
its all Don's fault

:p:

krisfnbz
03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
This is going to turn into a very good long thread indeed. and I will be subscribed the entire time!

2wheeler
03-20-2008, 06:22 PM

This thread = pulling the (forum) boner out, wiping it off and taking a real look at the target of your love...

belbo
03-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Here's my problem with Rainbow: CUSTOMER SERVICE. I've had a tweeter sent off for warranty work for months now. It was sent off sometime in November and haven't got anything back. I bought them because of reputation and through advice of reps on this board. These guys were great and had nothing to do with Rainbow's slow, or in my case ignoring of warranty claims. It got so bad I offered to buy another tweeter but I can't even get a separate tweeter from them. The install has halted do to this waiting.

My advice is to buy something else regardless of sound quality because of customer service issues. I talked to a dealer in Atlanta that dropped the Rainbow line because of extended warranty times.

I will never buy another Rainbow product of any sort. As soon as the tweeter shows up from warranty claims, the whole CMX set will go up for sale here. That's assuming I ever get the tweeter back at all. All in all and wasted $330, if I were you ghuys, I would avoid the Rainbow line. They don't honor warranties, at least not in a timely manner and part replacement has been impossible.

jmanpc
03-20-2008, 07:02 PM
heh nismo, it sounds like your experience is the opposite of mine with mbqs. I played my PSD-216 set with the HPF at 40hz without problems. Things freakin pounded.

And about the people who I've talked to who think the midbass output *****... they're not stupid, and know how to install a set of comps.

jmanpc
03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
This thread = pulling the (forum) boner out, wiping it off and taking a real look at the target of your love...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think she was picked up right before the last call at a crusty bar on the outskirts of Detroit.

Etac
03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Here's my problem with Rainbow: CUSTOMER SERVICE. I've had a tweeter sent off for warranty work for months now. It was sent off sometime in November and haven't got anything back. I bought them because of reputation and through advice of reps on this board. These guys were great and had nothing to do with Rainbow's slow, or in my case ignoring of warranty claims. It got so bad I offered to buy another tweeter but I can't even get a separate tweeter from them. The install has halted do to this waiting.

My advice is to buy something else regardless of sound quality because of customer service issues. I talked to a dealer in Atlanta that dropped the Rainbow line because of extended warranty times.

I will never buy another Rainbow product of any sort. As soon as the tweeter shows up from warranty claims, the whole CMX set will go up for sale here. That's assuming I ever get the tweeter back at all. All in all and wasted $330, if I were you ghuys, I would avoid the Rainbow line. They don't honor warranties, at least not in a timely manner and part replacement has been impossible.

yea i blew a mid and im about to find out about sending it in... someone else told me the same thing, that they've been waiting a couple months with no word.

and if i do get it warrantied.. im putting my mids up for sale.. i mixed the cal tweet with my old memphis mids.. and using the rainbow crossover.. im in love with how it sounds

headless
03-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Well, here's another data point for you guys; I used warranty service 3 times and always received a new replacement within ~6 weeks. Which I consider good, considering the round trip shipping to/from Germany. Didn't have to use it for tweeters though; just woofers. If I ever buy another set of speakers, they'll be Rainbows. Though I can't imagine really going any farther up the line; the power line CS are pretty much the best reasonably priced 2 way set you can get from Rainbow when it comes to loud&clear except for maybe the Platinums.. Those of you with long delays for warranty service, are you sending them back through Don or through Premier?

belbo
03-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't want to mention the guy by name, it wasn't his fault, it's the parent company's. Well there are 3 people on here I know of that sell Rainbows: Premier, Don (6speedcoupe) and Manny (3.5Max), all i will tell you is it's one of those guys that I bought from and sent the tweeter back through. From what they have said, they have been trying to make it happen but just get the run around and I have no reason to not believe them. They're all great guys and knowledgable. I think people should still buy from them but my suggestion is to buy another brand from them. If customer service means anything to you, steer clear of Rainbow.

Oh yeah, forget about warranty work for a minute. I got so tired of waiting that I offered to just buy another tweeter and asked for a price. I can't even get an answer on that and I asked 2 of the above mentioned sellers. Does rainbow have parts available, is their distribution system flawed and what will you do if something goes bad after warranty is up? Will other parts be available then or will you be left with the rest of a partial component system? Headless had a decent experience but others have had bad ones. Roll the dice and take your chances.

I'm sure the speaker's sound is great, I'll tell you what I think if they ever allow me a complete system. I used to not worry about stuff like this when making product selections but this is illustrative of how important other aspects of a business can be when choosing products.

Well, here's another data point for you guys; I used warranty service 3 times and always received a new replacement within ~6 weeks. Which I consider good, considering the round trip shipping to/from Germany. Didn't have to use it for tweeters though; just woofers. If I ever buy another set of speakers, they'll be Rainbows. Though I can't imagine really going any farther up the line; the power line CS are pretty much the best reasonably priced 2 way set you can get from Rainbow when it comes to loud&clear except for maybe the Platinums.. Those of you with long delays for warranty service, are you sending them back through Don or through Premier?

6spdcoupe
03-23-2008, 04:17 AM
This thread = teh funnAy.

Its quite coincendental that this was brought up now as I was doing my taxes and realized how many sets I sold on THIS FORUM alone. Wanna take a guess? SLCs ONLY - 279 sets. That is of course for just 2007. Oddly I do not see near 279 complaints. Its simple ... someone likes something .. they *may* post about it and then itll die down quickly because well it's a boner. Someone doesnt like something it becomes like a tabloid and everyone is interested. Make sense?

Comparing to MBQs? Dollar for dollar product to product? Surely you jest. I will call them bright and lacking midbass. Have I heard them? Unfortunately yes and I have been doing this before you grasped your first breath.

Now YOU are sitting here making a post about something that YOU HAVE NEVER EVEN heard, but you are disappointed in those that follow hearsay about the MBQs. Arent you basing your info on hearsay? Kettle -> Black.

Am I here to defend the product because Im biased or because I sell them? Absolutely not. Want to know my other offerings? We can start small..

Morel
Dynaudio
Brax/Helix
Audison/Hertz
Sinfoni
CriticalMass
DLS

So no, biased thoughts and sales tactics are here.

6spdcoupe
03-23-2008, 04:18 AM

Its quite coincendental that this was brought up now as I was doing my taxes and realized how many sets I sold on THIS FORUM alone. Wanna take a guess? SLCs ONLY - 279 sets. That is of course for just 2007. Oddly I do not see near 279 complaints. Its simple ... someone likes something .. they *may* post about it and then itll die down quickly because well it's a boner. Someone doesnt like something it becomes like a tabloid and everyone is interested. Make sense?

Comparing to MBQs? Dollar for dollar product to product? Surely you jest. I will call them bright and lacking midbass. Have I heard them? Unfortunately yes and I have been doing this before you grasped your first breath.

Now YOU are sitting here making a post about something that YOU HAVE NEVER EVEN heard, but you are disappointed in those that follow hearsay about the MBQs. Arent you basing your info on hearsay? Kettle -> Black.

Am I here to defend the product because Im biased or because I sell them? Absolutely not. Want to know my other offerings? We can start small..

Morel
Dynaudio
Brax/Helix
Audison/Hertz
Sinfoni
CriticalMass
DLS
TRU Technology
SEAS

So no, biased thoughts and sales tactics are used here.

6spdcoupe
03-23-2008, 04:19 AM
duplicate posts FTL. :(

6spdcoupe
03-23-2008, 04:27 AM
I don't want to mention the guy by name, it wasn't his fault, it's the parent company's. Well there are 3 people on here I know of that sell Rainbows: Premier, Don (6speedcoupe) and Manny (3.5Max), all i will tell you is it's one of those guys that I bought from and sent the tweeter back through. From what they have said, they have been trying to make it happen but just get the run around and I have no reason to not believe them. They're all great guys and knowledgable. I think people should still buy from them but my suggestion is to buy another brand from them. If customer service means anything to you, steer clear of Rainbow.

Oh yeah, forget about warranty work for a minute. I got so tired of waiting that I offered to just buy another tweeter and asked for a price. I can't even get an answer on that and I asked 2 of the above mentioned sellers. Does rainbow have parts available, is their distribution system flawed and what will you do if something goes bad after warranty is up? Will other parts be available then or will you be left with the rest of a partial component system? Headless had a decent experience but others have had bad ones. Roll the dice and take your chances.

I'm sure the speaker's sound is great, I'll tell you what I think if they ever allow me a complete system. I used to not worry about stuff like this when making product selections but this is illustrative of how important other aspects of a business can be when choosing products.

As we both know it was me that you spoke to regarding the replacement. I replied again to you this week informing you the tweeter is on its way back to your original seller and you should have it soon. If I would have known of the issue sooner I would have tried to help more earlier. Of course there was no point in selling your another just to out your expenses further if it is on it's way back.

In regards to the the warranty service. I openly admit it has been lacking as of lately due to the US distributor. I have been on top of them like flies on **** lately and they directly assured me this will not happen further.

New policy is now MAXIMUM 48hrs to get and RMA number issued. MAXIMUM 2 weeks upon arrival to get defective product repaired/replaced and back out. While this may still seem somewhat lengthy there is still a cost to them to ship back&forth all defectives to Germany and hand out new products without upfront compensation. Whether I agree with this or not is a moot point, but there will be some major changes in their warranty dept.

Only time will tell if this holds true, but so far it has. If it doesnt, then all my orders start be sourced directly from Germany again.

spark plugs.
03-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Morel
Dynaudio
Brax/Helix
Audison/Hertz
Sinfoni
CriticalMass
DLS
TRU Technology
SEAS

:applause:

krisfnbz
03-23-2008, 01:58 PM
dun dun dun...

slick rick
03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
So what have we learned here? Just the usual...the internet is full of liars! 279 sets...now I see how you pay for the gas in the SS. ;)

Beerdrnkr
03-23-2008, 03:28 PM

Morel
Dynaudio
Brax/Helix
Audison/Hertz
Sinfoni
CriticalMass
DLS
TRU Technology
SEAS

Just out of curiousity, how many Germaniums did you sell last year if you don't mind my asking? I kind of like having speakers that a lot of people don't have.

krisfnbz
03-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Just out of curiousity, how many Germaniums did you sell last year if you don't mind my asking? I kind of like having speakers that a lot of people don't have.

And thats why people buy rainbow! jk

NE14MX
03-23-2008, 08:23 PM
dd

belbo
03-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Don, I spoke with you and the original seller. I never got a PM from you that a tweeter is on the way. I looked on both my screen names and the last thing I got said that you were waiting on a response as far as price for another tweeter. I would have contacted you sooner but since I went through another seller, I thought I was supposed to go through him. 

Thank you very much for taking care of it. As I said, I wasn't blaming you or the original seller. As far as their change in policy, it's overdue and to be honest, based on what I read here, I'm still not convinced it's fixed so I will avoid rainbow henceforth. Was just way too much bullshyt involved in a simple warranty claim. 2 weeks would be fine with me, I would have had no problem with a month even, but months and months and the seller telling me he's getting the runaround is just unacceptable for their warranty dept. If the parent company in Germany can't authorize it's US distributor to make the call and do warranty work on it's own (that's what it sounds like from your post) then I will buy a different brand in the future, as I fully intend to do so anyway.

As far as the speakers themselves, I'm sure you're selling such a large number of them for a reason. Thank you for taking care of it for me. You may want to check PM's because i did not receive one from you saying it was taken care of.

As we both know it was me that you spoke to regarding the replacement. I replied again to you this week informing you the tweeter is on its way back to your original seller and you should have it soon. If I would have known of the issue sooner I would have tried to help more earlier. Of course there was no point in selling your another just to out your expenses further if it is on it's way back.

In regards to the the warranty service. I openly admit it has been lacking as of lately due to the US distributor. I have been on top of them like flies on **** lately and they directly assured me this will not happen further.

New policy is now MAXIMUM 48hrs to get and RMA number issued. MAXIMUM 2 weeks upon arrival to get defective product repaired/replaced and back out. While this may still seem somewhat lengthy there is still a cost to them to ship back&forth all defectives to Germany and hand out new products without upfront compensation. Whether I agree with this or not is a moot point, but there will be some major changes in their warranty dept.

Only time will tell if this holds true, but so far it has. If it doesnt, then all my orders start be sourced directly from Germany again.

whitemax
03-24-2008, 12:23 AM
I have both a set of Germaniums and Profi Phase Plugs. I have been very happy with both of these sets. Never had an issue with midbass response on both sets. I do have a good amount of deadening on the doors, both inner and outer skins. I have about 180 watts per side going to them. My amp can push a little more, but I felt this was enough for my needs. I've been running around without sound from my sub amp for a couple of weeks and finally had some time this weekend to figure out the problem. During this time I really had a chance to appreciate how nice the midbass response is on the Phase Plugs. This is a very smooth sounding set of speakers.

6spdcoupe
03-24-2008, 12:40 AM

A rough guesstimate would be around 40-50.

6spdcoupe
03-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Don, I spoke with you and the original seller. I never got a PM from you that a tweeter is on the way. I looked on both my screen names and the last thing I got said that you were waiting on a response as far as price for another tweeter. I would have contacted you sooner but since I went through another seller, I thought I was supposed to go through him. 

Thank you very much for taking care of it. As I said, I wasn't blaming you or the original seller. As far as their change in policy, it's overdue and to be honest, based on what I read here, I'm still not convinced it's fixed so I will avoid rainbow henceforth. Was just way too much bullshyt involved in a simple warranty claim. 2 weeks would be fine with me, I would have had no problem with a month even, but months and months and the seller telling me he's getting the runaround is just unacceptable for their warranty dept. If the parent company in Germany can't authorize it's US distributor to make the call and do warranty work on it's own (that's what it sounds like from your post) then I will buy a different brand in the future, as I fully intend to do so anyway.

As far as the speakers themselves, I'm sure you're selling such a large number of them for a reason. Thank you for taking care of it for me. You may want to check PM's because i did not receive one from you saying it was taken care of.

My apologies that you didnt receive my PM. It may have been one of the times that this forum had a hiccup. :(

As for not continuing to support the line, honestly I cannot blame you. I'd be the last to convince you otherwise after what you have went through.

Problem with Germany is that they do expect unnatural things to come from this country. This is certainly not limited to the Rainbow line, but many others that come from various countries as well. The fact that transportation costs are high and our dollar is extremely weak do not help the situation. Unfortunately things (regardless of how good they may be) do not sell nearly as well here and the other countries do not seem to understand this.

Feel free to gimme a call anytime regarding this or the other things we have discussed.

Flipx99
03-24-2008, 12:47 AM
That's not bad business at all.

I am thinking this is why some companies don't want to be all over the internet. A few people incorrectly install this stuff and then complain...and then other users think the product is suspect.

I openly admit that my concerns about the midbass of the SLC was due to the doorpod configuration....ie user error. Maybe the consumers are looking for a product that can't be installed wrong.... :shrug:

6spdcoupe
03-24-2008, 01:02 AM
That's not bad business at all.

I am thinking this is why some companies don't want to be all over the internet. A few people incorrectly install this stuff and then complain...and then other users think the product is suspect.

I openly admit that my concerns about the midbass of the SLC was due to the doorpod configuration....ie user error. Maybe the consumers are looking for a product that can't be installed wrong.... :shrug:

I have been accused on more than one occasion of "selling to anybody" while it is the truth, why shouldnt I? If a person wants something and is capable of paying for it then why not let them have what they want? I like to give the benefit of the doubt and assume anyone wanting to purchase something knows how to install it or will consult with someone that does. Drawback is that this is not always the case. If not me, then they will purchase it elsewhere. If not Rainbow it will be something else. End result will still remain the same.

Yes, Im sure many of these problems have been install related, but a warranty is a warranty and no one should be able to dictate whether it is still available due to who installed it. Of course obvious abuse not withstanding.

This all stems from the US Distributor since I "have the most RAs of any other dealers". I think we can all figure volume of sales would come into play. Ive been with the product for 5+ years thorugh 3 different distributors and even direct with Germany for nearly a year. Im not giving up now. Not to mention despite some 'issues' the US Dist. as well as the Germans are great guys to party with. :)

belbo
03-24-2008, 11:32 AM
All of what you state here makes sense. I probably should not have posted this at all because I did not want to affect in a negative way the livelihood of you and other sellers. When I didn't hear back, I figured it was just more delays and I was frustrated but I guess it was the forum hiccup like you said.

I've had the worst luck with this set. I Installed the mid in the driver door and went ahead and hooked up the tweeter there too and was playing around with location, attaching it with velcro this weekend. Well a friend moves my car, slams the door when he gets in which dislodges the tweeter from the velcro, then shuts the door when he gets out and catches the tweeter in the doorjamb, smashing and bending it. I think this set i got is possessed lol.

When the new tweeter arrives, I will sell them for whatever I can for a new set with a bent tweeter and order the 3 way DLS set we talked about on the phone.

Thanks for the explanantion. I've had to deal with employees in Germany and they have a totally different mindset then American employees.

My apologies that you didnt receive my PM. It may have been one of the times that this forum had a hiccup. :(

As for not continuing to support the line, honestly I cannot blame you. I'd be the last to convince you otherwise after what you have went through.

Problem with Germany is that they do expect unnatural things to come from this country. This is certainly not limited to the Rainbow line, but many others that come from various countries as well. The fact that transportation costs are high and our dollar is extremely weak do not help the situation. Unfortunately things (regardless of how good they may be) do not sell nearly as well here and the other countries do not seem to understand this.

Feel free to gimme a call anytime regarding this or the other things we have discussed.

whitemax
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Ouch.....that *****...tweeter never had a chance.

filtor1
03-24-2008, 07:48 PM

get the Powerline CS's. Even less people have them. :D

6spdcoupe
03-24-2008, 08:08 PM

This is true. :D

Beerdrnkr
03-24-2008, 09:15 PM

I told my g/f that after this setup I'd be done for awhile :rolleyes: I have no more money to spend on car audio after this :crap:

belbo
03-24-2008, 10:18 PM
I told you, they're possessed, LOL, my own fault but still illustrative.

Ouch.....that *****...tweeter never had a chance.

headless
03-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Power line CS on left, Germaniums on right. Ruh Ruh Ruh Ruh.

http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS2.jpg
http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS1.jpg

the
POWAAARRRR

nismos14
03-25-2008, 09:07 AM
wowza.

krisfnbz
03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Their is no way those Power Line CS's would fit in my doors. They are just too massive.

nismos14
03-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Whats the mounting depth on the pl cs?

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
I told my g/f that after this setup I'd be done for awhile :rolleyes: I have no more money to spend on car audio after this :crap:
Learn to be persuassive. It worked for me. I didn't have the money either. Then, bam, they were here. :D

Flipx99
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I just stuck with the tweeters....hell, I couldn't even get the profi kicks to fit...lol

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Here are pics of my set...

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Aug2007Kodakdump003.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Aug2007Kodakdump006.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Aug2007Kodakdump014.jpg

Sorry about the blur in the last pic.

slick rick
03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I see a curious cat...

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
MOAR?.....

What an as s Huh

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Aug2007Kodakdump011.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Aug2007Kodakdump009.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Aug2007Kodakdump008.jpg

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I see a curious cat...

Indeed you do. Not sure if he made the camera unfocus or what. :( No matter. You get the idea.

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, I measured them...

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline001.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline002.jpg

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Better have 4.25" or these will test your patience. I ended up cutting the door panel. Yes it looks like garbage, but one side of the mid was hitting the door panel restricting movement. No issues at all now.

And as a side note. I have the Kicker ZX 850.4 bridged on the set. Roughly 415 watts per door. They like it.

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:35 PM
MOAR you say?

Doors...

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline017.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline019.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline020.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline021.jpg

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:36 PM
I should just make a thread. Maybe later.

filtor1
03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I see a curious cat...

I also just noticed. There is a SlickRick tape just above his right ear in that pic. :)

Beerdrnkr
03-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Learn to be persuassive. It worked for me. I didn't have the money either. Then, bam, they were here. :D

Oh, believe me I'll be working on it. My 3way rainbow germs might be plenty enough for me though.

nismos14
03-25-2008, 02:10 PM
3 way germs? Eh?

Flipx99
03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
the SLCs come in three way. Twas my first componet set.

Beerdrnkr
03-25-2008, 02:32 PM
3 way germs? Eh?

Well I bought the components and an extra set of mids. I'm not doing a true 3way because I'm using both mids as midrange instead of a midrange and midbass. I want it to get pretty loud in my car.

nismos14
03-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Oh that it will, that it will ;)

whitemax
03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Some very nice shots in this thread :D

slick rick
03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
I also just noticed. There is a SlickRick tape just above his right ear in that pic. :)

tight...I still need to hear these speakers

spark plugs.
03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
MOAR you say?

Doors...

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline017.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline019.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline020.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/filtor1/Powerline021.jpg

thats a nice neat install

redcalimp5
03-25-2008, 07:22 PM
MAN, I love the Powerline CS set. If only my budget loved them too. :crap:

Anyone got a set of just the mids from the set they'd want to sell?

Fast1one
03-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Well I bought the components and an extra set of mids. I'm not doing a true 3way because I'm using both mids as midrange instead of a midrange and midbass. I want it to get pretty loud in my car.Two mids or more = FTL. You are going to have combing issues if you run both of them up to the tweeter highpass...

Best way to do it is to run one woofer from the lower highpass to the tweeter highpass, then the second as midbass only up to ~2-300hz...

headless
03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
man...what's the extra set of germ mids cost? For the cost of the set of germs plus the extra mids plus the hassle of installation and tuning i'd seriously be looking at the power line cs..

redcalimp5
03-26-2008, 02:25 PM
man...what's the extra set of germ mids cost? For the cost of the set of germs plus the extra mids plus the hassle of installation and tuning i'd seriously be looking at the power line cs..

This used Germ set sold for $367 shipped yesterday.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rainbow-Audio-Components-Speakers-6-5-Inch_W0QQitemZ290216704970QQihZ019QQcategoryZ32819 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

headless
03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Wow, that's a great price for 4 mids, 2 tweeters and the x-over's.. Strange, though, he says the x-over's are made for 2 woofers, but there are only outputs for 1 woofer on the x-over picture he shows... I was under the impression that the x-over's from rainbow have different x-over points for the second set of woofers, which would necessitate a second output from each x-over. Has anyone got the official 465 set who can confirm how they function?

nismos14
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
It's the dual woofer set. Works with the xover.

redcalimp5
03-26-2008, 05:25 PM
It's the dual woofer set. Works with the xover.

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/details.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=17&art=231539

Fast1one
03-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow, that's a great price for 4 mids, 2 tweeters and the x-over's.. Strange, though, he says the x-over's are made for 2 woofers, but there are only outputs for 1 woofer on the x-over picture he shows... I was under the impression that the x-over's from rainbow have different x-over points for the second set of woofers, which would necessitate a second output from each x-over. Has anyone got the official 465 set who can confirm how they function?Thats how it SHOULD be....the set on ebay appears to be just the regular germs with an extra set of mids...

Unless rainbow neglected to make the second set of woofers midbass only (2.5 way)....which I doubt...

Beerdrnkr
03-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Two mids or more = FTL. You are going to have combing issues if you run both of them up to the tweeter highpass...

Best way to do it is to run one woofer from the lower highpass to the tweeter highpass, then the second as midbass only up to ~2-300hz...

This is my first time going active so I'm sure I haven't figured out the best way to do things but the way I have it set is the front preouts of the HU to the front input of my PPI dcx-730 to the front output of the PPI to my zx650.4 amp to power my kick mids, PPI rear out to the zx350.4 amp to power my tweeters, PPI sub out to my zx650.4 for the mid doors, HU rear to the zx350.4 for the rear fill (i like it), and HU sub out to the zx2500.1 for the sub. :crazy:

Fast1one
03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
This is my first time going active so I'm sure I haven't figured out the best way to do things but the way I have it set is the front preouts of the HU to the front input of my PPI dcx-730 to the front output of the PPI to my zx650.4 amp to power my kick mids, PPI rear out to the zx350.4 amp to power my tweeters, PPI sub out to my zx650.4 for the mid doors, HU rear to the zx350.4 for the rear fill (i like it), and HU sub out to the zx2500.1 for the sub. :crazy:

Try running the mids in the doors as midbass only(~60-200hz), then run the ones in the kicks either from the lower crossover point (~60 or whatever you choose), or as a dedicated midrange from 2-300hz to the tweeter highpass...

Beerdrnkr
03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Try running the mids in the doors as midbass only(~60-200hz), then run the ones in the kicks either from the lower crossover point (~60 or whatever you choose), or as a dedicated midrange from 2-300hz to the tweeter highpass...

Will do. I'm guessing it's going to be neverending tuning for me.

Fast1one
03-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Will do. I'm guessing it's going to be neverending tuning for me.2.5 and 3 way systems are naturally complicated, the trick is positioning the drivers the right way the first time, which can take hours...

Took me about 2 hours to find the position I liked in the kicks for fiberglass pods...Aim, listen, pay with phase, listen, level match, re aim, listen....

Worth it in the end though, less tuning :D

filtor1
03-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Oh, believe me I'll be working on it. My 3way rainbow germs might be plenty enough for me though.

When installed correctly, there is no doubt you will be happy with any set you buy. :)

filtor1
03-27-2008, 12:06 AM
thats a nice neat install

Thank you sir! I like it to look as stock as possible.

filtor1
03-27-2008, 12:07 AM
tight...I still need to hear these speakers

Let me know when you are in town again. I will do my best to accomodate. :)

HowLowd
04-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Thats how it SHOULD be....the set on ebay appears to be just the regular germs with an extra set of mids...

Unless rainbow neglected to make the second set of woofers midbass only (2.5 way)....which I doubt...

The set on ebay would happen to be the official 465s. ;)
The mids are bridged parallel at the xover for a two ohm load on the mid instead of the 4 ohm that you get with the 265. thanks for playing though ;)

and payment wasnt received on them. hence i still have em. got my listing money back though

HowLowd
04-04-2008, 04:11 AM
Wow, that's a great price for 4 mids, 2 tweeters and the x-over's.. Strange, though, he says the x-over's are made for 2 woofers, but there are only outputs for 1 woofer on the x-over picture he shows... I was under the impression that the x-over's from rainbow have different x-over points for the second set of woofers, which would necessitate a second output from each x-over. Has anyone got the official 465 set who can confirm how they function?

impression is wrong. you...yadda yadda yadda.. :laugh:

in running them you have a gang of adjustable points on the xover, but in doing so it adjusts the mids as two pairs. no individual inputs for them. used one set in the kicks a set in the doors and loved em. no rear fill. Just needed something to keep up with what i was running in the trunk. never had an issue and was more than happy with em. no issues with em ever. and after a default auction, i have a buyer that is possibly going to follow through. if so :veryhapp: if not i finish deadening the doors and throw em back in the new car lol.

Fast1one
04-04-2008, 05:49 AM
The set on ebay would happen to be the official 465s. ;)
The mids are bridged parallel at the xover for a two ohm load on the mid instead of the 4 ohm that you get with the 265. thanks for playing though ;)

and payment wasnt received on them. hence i still have em. got my listing money back though

impression is wrong. you...yadda yadda yadda.. :laugh:

in running them you have a gang of adjustable points on the xover, but in doing so it adjusts the mids as two pairs. no individual inputs for them. used one set in the kicks a set in the doors and loved em. no rear fill. Just needed something to keep up with what i was running in the trunk. never had an issue and was more than happy with em. no issues with em ever. and after a default auction, i have a buyer that is possibly going to follow through. if so :veryhapp: if not i finish deadening the doors and throw em back in the new car lol.
Not questioning if they were "official" or not, but I find it pretty ridiculous that rainbow would completely the adverse effects of running to mids two the tweeter high pass, without any compensation to combing issues and sound staging...

MTMs work at home because combing issues become less of an issue when the drivers are positioned vertically and the tweeter is equidistant from the midwoofers . Additionally, automobile cabins offer poor response for obvious reasons, which is why the set should be compensated actively...

Can it be done? Of course it can, however each mid would have to be compensated with different filters, slopes, and individual equalization to combat the issues of tonality and especially sound staging. It may have worked in your vehicle passively, but with so many variables its hard do discern if it would work in EVERY vehicle...

This is why I recommended doing a 2.5 way system. Its a whole lot easier to setup as midbass is most omni-directional, so the ".5" midbass would be much easier to integrate in to the system. 1 midrange woofer would be plenty loud enough...if its not, then TURN YOUR SUB DOWN. Its music sillies...

Thanks for playing? Thats cute :)

Remember guys, when you add more variables the system obviously becomes more complicated. Running on a set passive crossover adds another, additional mid shoots it through the roof ;)

WiCKeD 5.9L
05-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Rainbow have excellent midbass. Highs are very good as well.

bose301s
05-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Ok, since this has gone slightly off topic, I will reply to Jman's original post basically.

I love my SLC 265 Kicks. The midbass is AMAZING and this is in undeadened doors. If I turn my subs to a reasonable level, they keep up perfectly. A good demo for this is the helicopter sounds in Pink Floyd's The Wall, it is played during all of the Anothe Brink in the Wall parts. It absolutely rips in my car. And remember I am comparing these to a set of $1000 B&W home speakers, speakers that make your MB Quarts look like OEM speakers and the Rainbow's sound pretty ****ed close. The reason you see complaints about the Rainbows is you get ********* buying them, turniung the gains up all the way and blasting them. Also, the Kickbasses need to be HPFd @ 80 hz or higher, if they aren't they will be ruined. I have seen MANY complaints about the PG RSDs, from blown tweeters, mids and even crossovers as well as complaints of week midbass and incredibly harsh tweeters. All in all Rainbow has a boner status because it deserves one.

BIGsherm7272
05-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Focal, anyone?

Eugenics
05-20-2008, 12:32 AM

try the 28.

bose301s
05-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Focal, anyone?

Haven't heard any of theirs, but they make pretty good home speakers too.

konechiwa
05-21-2008, 02:25 AM
I'll be completely honest. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but when I first hooked my rainbows up, (completely undeadened doors, no door panels, tweets hanging by the wires, hooked up to a Profile 100x2 amp that later EXPLODED!) it sounded god **** incredible. Best speakers I have ever heard. I don't know If I got used to them, or the fact that I deadened my doors or changed the amp (US amps XT1600.4), but they just don't sound the same. I listened to Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape, and the bass POUNDED. I mean, I could feel it. I didn't want subs, it was that good.

But now, it's eh. I'm not impressed, but I've always been searching for that sound. And I've never had it since that original time I hooked it up.

I'm going to gutting my car, because I'm not going to be driving it (I'll be at Gonzaga U, not a big school at all, and I don't really a need a car, I might buy a little Ninja or something). ANYWAY, If i could get that original sound I heard from those Rainbows (265 Kicks) I'd never buy anything else. Thats how good it sounded to me. But from what I hear now, I'd shop around.

That being said, I have never tried to do any harm of them. 80Hz HPF, always (sometimes 100), I don't have the gain all the way cranked, Only listen to them at a moderately high level (28/40 on my HU, but of course, all my music is encoded quieter at 89.0dB, instead of the normal 95-100 level.

i just want that sound back!

WHERE HAS IT GONE?

ENDER_XVICM
05-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I had a set of Rainbow SLC 365s (not the kicks cause my amp couldent cross at 80hz). They were ungodly. When I got them tuned they were very impressive. Even the tweeter guy was impressed (he had never even heard of rainbow). The one thing I did notice about these speakers is that they are tempermental. Dont do anything that you think might hurt them because it probably will. I remember when i first put them in I was playing with the gains and cranked it to high. Blew the 6.5 drivers on each side. Luckely the person I bought them from was kind enough to replace them with no charge.

With all that said. I agree with whoever said:

"They are a boner because they deserve to be."

da_tank
05-22-2008, 03:11 PM
phd's sound better in my opinion, but i'll stick to my rainbows 'till i upgrade, even though i've had mine for almost six years.

DejaWiz
05-22-2008, 04:11 PM
And as a side note. I have the Kicker ZX 850.4 bridged on the set. Roughly 415 watts per door. They like it.

:wow: :eek:

Bad ***.

And thanks for the pics.... the Rainbow forum boner just turned into a raging real boner for a lot of people, I imagine.

fatryan
05-22-2008, 04:23 PM
i had issues with my first set of CMX kicks. granted, i was giving them 2x their recommended power, BUT theyre supposed to have been able to handle that easily. anyways, got the replacements in running active now and im sticking with recommended power. they sound great. midbass could use a tad more, but the midbass is still far better than any other comps ive ever heard. i think i just like midbass too much lol.

nismos14
05-22-2008, 04:23 PM
:wow: :eek:

Bad ***.

And thanks for the pics.... the Rainbow forum boner just turned into a raging real boner for a lot of people, I imagine.

Yea.. about 2 months ago. :rolleyes: :D

DejaWiz
05-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Yea.. about 2 months ago. :rolleyes: :D

Oh c'mon now... give me some credit. I missed this thread until today, but I was an active poster in filtor's orginal thread he created when he first got those beauties. I know excuses, excuses.....

nismos14
05-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh c'mon now... give me some credit. I missed this thread until today, but I was an active poster in filtor's orginal thread he created when he first got those beauties. I know excuses, excuses.....

Yea, creative though.