PDA

View Full Version : bandpass boxes

king ranch
03-19-2008, 12:01 AM
whats the whole concept of those and are they louder than ported boxes and sound better or what

BrianChia
03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
yes

king ranch
03-19-2008, 12:29 AM
do they need as much or more space than ported and do tehy cost more

Random1010
03-19-2008, 12:30 AM
80inches you are neeeeded

Moto959
03-19-2008, 12:31 AM
lawlz

king ranch
03-19-2008, 12:32 AM
wow this place is extremely helpfull

tommyk90
03-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Depending on the design and size/number of subs, they are usually larger than a normal ported box.

Bandpasses are also more difficult to design and can be very picky. One little math error or design flaw can throw the whole performance of the enclosure off.

They CAN be louder if designed properly, but a normal ported box will suffice for the majority of people.

miker
03-19-2008, 12:33 AM
They take up a lot of room.

basically for a single 12" type R I was told I would need about 6 cubes of space.

king ranch
03-19-2008, 12:36 AM
someone was telling me a single reflex box or something like that takes up less space

Random1010
03-19-2008, 12:37 AM
pm 80inches. he is the bp god

tommyk90
03-19-2008, 12:38 AM
someone was telling me a single reflex box or something like that takes up less space

Single reflex?

No.

Reflex usually refers to a normal ported box. Bass reflex is the term most commonly used.

After that it only gets more complicated. 4th order, 6th order, 8th order, aperiodic bi-chamber, etc. and so forth.

tommyk90
03-19-2008, 12:38 AM
pm 80inches. he is the bp god

Too bad I have yet to see any of his boxes perform even remotely better than a properly designed ported box.

ContourSPL
03-19-2008, 12:56 AM
The only bandpass enclosures I ever got to work, the front chamber was quite large, especially compared to some of the bandpass designs floating around here.

80INCHES
03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Too bad I have yet to see any of his boxes perform even remotely better than a properly designed ported box.

lol u funny
last time i checked u live in IL and i live in NY
i doubt u heard any bandpass i designed
u may get a review from folks online but u havent heard the numerous boxes i designed in nyc

if u want to know how my bandpass box sound
ask slammed,dalucifer,dvrmstrng,6spdcoupe, 3.5maxspd,neverenuffbass,path2spl,and a few others that has heard my setup
and they like what i had..the only downfall was i didnt have enuff power and thats going to change in the comming weeks
so be4 u start bashing me ( as u always do when it comes to me designing something for some1) make sure u have ur fact striaght...its a reason folks hit me up for bandpass designs...

phantom240
03-19-2008, 09:18 AM
They take up a lot of room.

basically for a single 12" type R I was told I would need about 6 cubes of space.

Now what about mounting two of them isobaric, so that it would take up hella less room?

Immacomputer
03-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Now what about mounting two of them isobaric, so that it would take up hella less room?

Less room but only output potential of one of them.

Bandpass enclosures can be loud with a small bandwidth or they can have a more narrow bandwidth with less potential output. The same thing applies to ported enclosures too so it is almost impossible to say one is better than the other. Now ported enclosures are almost always smaller though.

GnFnRs
03-19-2008, 09:47 PM
only ones i ever built were the one's orion had going around in the early 90's when everyone jumped on the bandpasswagone lol and one i designed on my own for a pair of orion NT 10's the carbon fiber ones..with a single 225hcca on them in a f150 ext cab it did 141 on flashdance legal..yes flashdance i am old LOL. this was in 1997 when usac made ya play that crap.it wasn't all that big tho. i read someone say 6cuft for a single 10? mine was 36x14x14 with a 6"x8" port 8" long. have no idea what it was tuned to but dang it pounded the bass note on creed's song one LOL

Pyro_By_Nature
03-19-2008, 09:57 PM

All he probably does is punch numbers in winISD, then comes on here and gets known as the "bandpass god". Quite comical :laugh:

phantom240
03-19-2008, 10:09 PM
All he probably does is punch numbers in winISD, then comes on here and gets known as the "bandpass god". Quite comical :laugh:

I wouldn't go THAT far...

tommyk90
03-19-2008, 10:12 PM
lol u funny
last time i checked u live in IL and i live in NY
i doubt u heard any bandpass i designed
u may get a review from folks online but u havent heard the numerous boxes i designed in nyc

if u want to know how my bandpass box sound
ask slammed,dalucifer,dvrmstrng,6spdcoupe, 3.5maxspd,neverenuffbass,path2spl,and a few others that has heard my setup
and they like what i had..the only downfall was i didnt have enuff power and thats going to change in the comming weeks
so be4 u start bashing me ( as u always do when it comes to me designing something for some1) make sure u have ur fact striaght...its a reason folks hit me up for bandpass designs...

There's this thing called a video camera. You should look into one.

Or how about you hit up a sanctioned competition or something.

Not trying to knock you down, but the comments I've read about your boxes are pretty darn identical to those I've read about normal designs. Thus the basis for my statement.

Forgive me if i'm mistaken, but wasn't there a time when you realized your bandpass ****** *** compared to a normal ported box and you posted something in your sig along the lines of "i've seen the light"? Whatever happened to that?

Anyways man, if you haven't noticed by now I can be a bit of a jerk sometimes. Don't take anything I say to heart, just speaking my mind. Hope there's no hard feelings or beef between us. Hopefully I'll meet you down in daytona.

97srad750
03-19-2008, 10:16 PM
only ones i ever built were the one's orion had going around in the early 90's when everyone jumped on the bandpasswagone lol and one i designed on my own for a pair of orion NT 10's the carbon fiber ones..with a single 225hcca on them in a f150 ext cab it did 141 on flashdance legal..yes flashdance i am old LOL. this was in 1997 when usac made ya play that crap.it wasn't all that big tho. i read someone say 6cuft for a single 10? mine was 36x14x14 with a 6"x8" port 8" long. have no idea what it was tuned to but dang it pounded the bass note on creed's song one LOL

I remember when you had to play flashdance. Those were the days of SPL for me. Everyone had a wall, and everyone drove to shows. This was right when the super reinforcing started to hit.

DBDRAGGUY
03-19-2008, 10:17 PM
I have heard a few impressive BP designs. I liken them to adding a supercharger to a motor and making big power in a certain range of rpm's. The Bp will boost a certain window of frequencies at the expense of losing output above and below the band.

tommyk90
03-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I have heard a few impressive BP designs. I liken them to adding a supercharger to a motor and making big power in a certain range of rpm's. The Bp will boost a certain window of frequencies at the expense of losing output above and below the band.

I've heard quite a few impressive bandpass setups as well. Eric Alexanders 6th order with 12 12's comes to mind. :) 162's at the headrest FTW.

DBDRAGGUY
03-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I've heard quite a few impressive bandpass setups as well. Eric Alexanders 6th order with 12 12's comes to mind. :) 162's at the headrest FTW.

I Hear he is rebuilding. Before the van I remember the little purple hatchback it made som good numbers .

tommyk90
03-19-2008, 10:26 PM
I Hear he is rebuilding. Before the van I remember the little purple hatchback it made som good numbers .

Yes, he is rebuilding. Hopefully bigger and better. :)

Every setup that he's built and I've heard has been impressive. He's got that stuff down to a science.

motomonkey
03-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I built a bandpass box in my classic Bmw so the bass wouldnt get muted from all the insulation between the trunk and interior. All i have is a 3" port in my rear package tray that I painted dark gray to match the package tray covering and it looks great!! It also sounds tight and clean. I tried a ported enclosure but it was so mutted by the insulation/rear seat that I had to crank the sub just to hear it inside the interior. You could hear it more out of the car than in with the ported box, now with the band pass all the punch goes directly inside.:D Thats why I love my band pass. I am only running one 10" sub so my box is only 1.7cf. I dont consider this excessive. You do have to know what you are doing to get a band pass to sound clean though.

ContourSPL
03-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I talked to Eric at World Finals and he said his rear chamber was tuned to 22 hz! His old van was violent.