PDA

View Full Version : Good Rear Fill?

P.T.R.
03-18-2008, 07:31 PM
I have an 03 hyundai tiburon, looking for some rear fill, I have orion p6 comps up front, and am trying to figure out which way to go with the rear fill. I could straight replace the 6X9s back there, or I could add another component set or some 6.5" coax back there. Any suggestions for a set around a hundred bucks used or new would be great. Running 100 at 4 to each up front, and can run 100 at 4 or 175 at 2 to the rear (nine.5).
Oh, and if it has any effect, 2 12" realm audio subs in sealed enclosure getting 600 to the pair.
Thanks
Phil

rollerdj
03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
i think just a cheap set of coax would be ok. i personally don't use any.

Etac
03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
ideally what i think you would want to do is...

first you're gonna have to come close to matching power otherwise you wont even hear them.. try running them without a tweeter this way it wont pull the image back... and if possible turn the tweeters up front higher.. this way it helps equal out the frequencies..

another thing to try to avoid is mixing speakers.. granted its not impossible.. but its very common that two different drivers wont blend together well..

audiobahnuser18
03-18-2008, 09:06 PM
ygpm

zeuolaxxx
03-18-2008, 11:33 PM
rear fill waste of money!

MBrock4u
03-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Depending on your setup and needs, rear fill is not a waste of money. You see this all the time. Polk db's would be a nice choice. Alpine type S. Both are around 100 bucks.

P.T.R.
03-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Well I'm only going to have 150W RMS up front to the comps, figure rear fill is more like a 2nd kick panel, it's probably only 20" or less from my head, about a 9 inches away from the front seat straight back.

DejaWiz
03-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Why not bridge your amp and send around 2x250w rms (or more) to a nice set of Rainbow CMX Kicks... if you can find a set. You won't even have to **** with rear fill.

LBC99
03-19-2008, 07:52 PM
why not just leave your stock 6x9s in and use the money for something else?

hoss
03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
the best rear fill is an empty hole :fyi:

P.T.R.
03-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Does it make sense to power the rear stockers off the HU, or should I still run power from the amp to them?

oldford
03-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Something to try: Run LHU+ to LHSP+ and RHU+ to RHSP+ and connect LHSP- to RHSP-. The rears will only play the difference (stereo content) and level will be low since they're in series and ONLY get the difference from LH and RH stereo content. More of an ambient type of rear fill as opposed to direct so it shouldn't detract from your front stage.
---Will

miker
03-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Does it make sense to power the rear stockers off the HU, or should I still run power from the amp to them?

Either way they will distort... Bad..

Take em out.

Etac
03-22-2008, 10:58 PM
well you can set it up so they wont distort.. but unless you have a speaker with a sensativity rating and give it enough power that equal up to your fronts - you're not even going to hear it

unlike what some ppl say here i dont think rear fill is a waste of money.. if you do it correctly..

tcguy85
03-22-2008, 11:10 PM
no rear fill.

P.T.R.
03-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Everybody is hating on rear fill eh?

hoss
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Everybody is hating on rear fill eh?

yup. invest the money more wisely.

hoss
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
that is, unless you plan on riding in the back of your own car...

Etac
03-22-2008, 11:49 PM
that is, unless you plan on riding in the back of your own car...

well i can kinda relate to the idea of him wanting rear fill... if you have a perfect setup.. rear fill is not needed

however, some cars - arent perfectly setup for a perfect installation.. i dont have room in my car for kicks.. and were my stock speakers are basically point straight my akles.. im defently more of a SQ guy rather than spl..so this kinda goes against that but i am also considering throwing a pair of matching mids in my back doors.. they're so close to me that they wont pull that much back (i dont like rear shelf installtions) and turn the tweets up a little to help equal it out.. and it should sound pretty good. its not like im gonna compete

and this might kill the idea of a front stage.. but should surround you more in music (kinda like wearing headphones) and if you like how it sounds.. fk what anyone else thinks.

but i do agree with the fact you should consider rear fill later.. if ever.. get a solid front stage and go from there

oldschool4me
03-23-2008, 12:15 AM
i personally would run with a decent set of midbass speakers in the rear. you dont want much high freq coming from them that will pull from your front stage. or just use a coax with less power applied then your front stage. you actually dont want to hear them much but if DONE PROPERLY will give you a much warmer sound then haveing nothing at all in the rear. i recommend getting baffles for them too so your subs dont distort them. this is very hard to achieve but once you get it right it is great and you will from then on feel it is of great importance to your system. alot of people have strayed away from this because it is so hard to get right and alot just dont even try and dont understand, possibly because they have been told otherwise. i would at least try it out. im not one to tell someone not to try things to improve the sound of their system.

oldford
03-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Did anyone see my reply to rear fill?..apparently not. It emulates the first iterations of Dolby surround. You already have the speakers and HU so no money wasted! Try it...you just might like it! ---Will