PDA

View Full Version : Average 5.25" or 6.5" Hz range comparsion

ronjon228
03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
I looked around for a bit for a thread that had this and was unable to find one. I think it's a good idea to get a set of data for what people run their drivers at (Hz range). Specifically the low end cut off. Doesn't really matter the size, just that it's a woofer only. This will give people a good base line to go from for different size drivers and overall the difference between size of driver and REAL usable range.

Also, I'll add in some more details because the setup, volume, wattage, etc. can make a large difference on the tonal quality and real world response range on any driver. For the listening volume and midbass response I'll use a 1 to 10 scale. 1 being the softest listening 10 being the loudest. 1 being the worst midbass response, 10 being the most robust. Just use your personal experience to determine the number, it's kind of hit or miss, but at least gives me and others an idea.

I'll start with mine and others can follow. Just use my information as a template.

Drivers: Infinity Reference 5000cs
Size: 5.25"
RMS wattage: 100w total (50x2)
Active/Passive: Active
X-over Range: 110Hz - 3.5KHz
Average Volume: 8
Midbass Response: 3 (with 110Hz what do you expect?)

Drivers: Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs
Size: 6.25"
RMS wattage: 100w total (50x2)
Active/Passive: Active
X-over Range: Still testing - 3.5KHz
Average Volume: 8
Midbass Response: 6.5

Notes:
One thing I'm looking for is more midbass response from the 65cs. I know from what I've read they are great in this area. While I do notice a HUGE step up from the Infinity comps, I think my door setup may require some attention before I can unlock the full potential of the RSD's. Also, at 50w per driver, I think they are begging for more. I'll soon be putting 125w RMS to each driver and 50w RMS to each tweeter. I think this, along with deadening my doors and sealing the small gaps on my modified factory door mounts will get me where I want to be for midbass response.

tcguy85
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
RSD65CS's :

-mids are playing from 80hz/12db up to 2.5k/24db
-tweeters from 4k/24db and up
-sub from 63hz/12db and down

-the mids have 200 watts available per, the tweeters have 100 watts available per, the sub has 620 watts available.

-doors are deadened AND sealed off, mids mounted on a treated 3/4 MDF baffle, closed cell foam behind each mid in a checkerboard/egg crate pattern.

-tweeters are in the kick panels on-axis

and to the op: yes you need more power, lots more! and deaden and seal off your doors, it WILL make a huge difference in mid-bass response.

anything else man?

ronjon228
03-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Looks good tcguy, thanks for the data. Hopefully more people will add theirs soon. I think this could be a great tool for some one looking to buy new comps or drivers and wondering how they sound and are set up in real world conditions.