PDA

View Full Version : mdf material



grizzjwill
05-01-2003, 09:19 PM
i am wanting to build a box and i heard everyone saying they use mdf so were can i find this and what is it like a particle board

tommyk90
05-01-2003, 09:23 PM
It stands for Medium Density Fiberboard, kinda like particle board, but a whole lot better. They sell it at most major hardware stores such as Home Depot and Menards, etc. Get 3/4" thickness too. I think it's ~$20 for a 4x8 sheet.

grizzjwill
05-01-2003, 09:25 PM
how much would it cost to get enough for one box 12" L7 sealed

Mac11
05-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by grizzjwill
how much would it cost to get enough for one box 12" L7 sealed

depends on the size/dimentions of the box
figure out what the dimensions of the box will be then total up how big all the sides will be and see if you can get all that out of 1 sheet of 4' X 8' MDF...mostlikely youll be able to unless its a BIG box....and 2 pieces should deffinatly do it.


-Mac

more_spl
05-01-2003, 10:43 PM
mdf is highly compressed saw dust..... And maybe some glue paste solution in it to hold it together? idk..

evo2k3
05-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by more_spl
mdf is highly compressed saw dust..... And maybe some glue paste solution in it to hold it together? idk..

kind of....the biggest difference between that and particle board is how the resin fiber mixture is harded (under heat if I am not mistaken).

phocas
05-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by grizzjwill
how much would it cost to get enough for one box 12" L7 sealed

At my home depot it was $15 dollars for enough for a dual 12 box and i have leftovers.

ShaunMac
05-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by grizzjwill
how much would it cost to get enough for one box 12" L7 sealed
I had nearly half left over when I built my 3.5cu ft. slot ported
box for my e15k.

It was a simple rectanglular design with a slot port.

paikiah
05-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by ShaunMac
I had nearly half left over when I built my 3.5cu ft. slot ported
box for my e15k.

It was a simple rectanglular design with a slot port.

I think I used too much, in that case. My box took me about 2/3rd's of a 4 X 8 and the darn box is only 1.5CuFt...sealed...

gotta get a simpler, ported design, just as soon as I get a new sony hu.

Gauntlet
05-01-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by evo2k3
kind of....the biggest difference between that and particle board is how the resin fiber mixture is harded (under heat if I am not mistaken).

Yeah....particle board is compressed sawdust joined by glue....which is why it's more brittle, is more prone to splitting, doesn't cut as clean, and screws strip easier in it. MDF is highly (well, medium) compressed sawdust, joined together with a synthetic resin and bonded under heat. It's better than particle board in every single aspect...

paikiah
05-02-2003, 12:49 AM
... in other words (quoted by woodcrafters in Korea) "MDF is just a hard slab of glue with sawdust compressed the **** out of it".

Be careful, don't inhale the dust while cutting, it's toxic.

awalbert88
05-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
Be careful, don't inhale the dust while cutting, it's toxic.


Oh, sure, now you tell me. :banghead:

dave_3148
05-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by awalbert88
Oh, sure, now you tell me. :banghead:

trial and error for me when i hung out at a buds shop all day for the first time

paikiah
05-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Unless you're sanding it or something, it's a smart move to attach your vacuum cleaner on the jigsaw and vutting only then. There will still be particles flying around like crazy, so you should always wear a dustmask and googles.

awalbert88
05-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Bah, I didn't start wearing goggles and a dust mask until today when I was sanding some stuff. Oh well.

paikiah
05-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by awalbert88
Bah, I didn't start wearing goggles and a dust mask until today when I was sanding some stuff. Oh well.

I have an army issue gas mask for fiberglass work (didn't start though, only used resin) and I use that for wood-working. Bulky, but it does the job right.

evo2k3
05-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
I have an army issue gas mask for fiberglass work (didn't start though, only used resin) and I use that for wood-working. Bulky, but it does the job right.

lol....i do glassing, cutting alll that stuff without a mask and gogles......hope I am not developing tumors or anything.