PDA

View Full Version : HU 2v vs 4v... 2v higher gain??

johnnyblaz3
03-18-2008, 01:08 AM
for my amp the gain is/says 6.5 all the way to the left.. and 0.2 all the way to right.. i have a 4v head unit and set the gain so its about 4.. but if i had a 2v head unit and set gain to 2v which would be higher(to the right more). it doesnt make sense.. if i had a 2v head unit i would have my gain up to 2 which mean it would sound more bass at 2v since to set to 2v is more to the right?

johnnyblaz3
03-18-2008, 01:09 AM
may want to get a new 2v HU if this is true, since my head unit is weird and seems to have uneven bass at diffrent times

johnnyblaz3
03-18-2008, 01:10 AM
i think i might of messed up the old HU cause i had the bass all the way up befor for a while or maybe its just getting old or something.. or maybe it could be another problem

johnnyblaz3
03-18-2008, 01:33 AM
no answears yet? so 6.5 all the way left and 0.2 all the way right... so which means about 3v with the gain half way(in the middle).. so to set a 2v its just a bit passed the middle to the right? which means theres more bass correct?

ProgMtl
03-18-2008, 06:52 AM
NO....it won't have more bass....the gains are set compared to the amount of voltage going to your amp....if you set the gains with a DMM so you get the proper wattage to your woofers it won't make a difference whether you have a 2v or 4v head unit.

Don't go by the markings on the amp...most amps I've had are not "split" at the mid-point of the knob....either set them by ear (listening for distortion) or set them with a DMM.

audioarsonal
03-18-2008, 10:20 AM
The answer to you question is...The less voltage that the deck is suppling the more amplification the signal will need.So if you have a 2v preout you would require more from the amp to get the same output as supplied from a 4v preout.So the higher the preout voltage the more to the left you would turn the gain to avoid clipping and distortion.
And if you measure the preout voltage it is probably only 1.2-1.5v before clipping sets in.
Use a DMM to always check and set gains.