PDA

View Full Version : 2 10" premiers vented box build

netzero
03-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Hey guys, started my box build for my two 10" Premier TS-W1007D2s. I wanted to give them a try in a ported box instead of my over sized sealed. The box is pretty close to 1.5 cubes per sub after all displacements tuned to 33 Hz. I got in a box building frenzy and forgot to take pics, but I've got my CAD plan and i put primer and some paint on it today so i'll post some finals tomorrow.
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8017/boxanglesmallug3.png

netzero
03-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Ok heres the first ported box i built for a friends 12"
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3020/dsc00636smalliw8.jpg
This is my first ever sealed with angled back that my subs are in now. (2.2cubes)
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1199/dsc00645smallzz9.jpg
and this is my new ported box drying from some clear coat. (1.5 cubes per sub, 40.5 In.^2 of port area, tuned to 33 Hz)
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3554/dsc00641smallve1.jpg
After hearing some horror stories of painting a box was i was a little skeptical at first but i really like how it came out :D. I'm 16 and i paid for everything myself, planned it myself, and built it all myself :D. I did use my dad's tools in his basement though..

Max_Power
03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
looks pretty nice, whats it sound like?

PV Audio
03-17-2008, 07:50 PM
That batting is doing just about nothing in that enclosure.

netzero
03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Not sure what it sounds like yet, I sold my last amp to the guy I built the first ported box to, and i havnt had the cash to get the ZX750.1 I plan to lol. As for the batting, some guy I was talking to a while back said he was a custom audio guy and told me to always put batting on the walls of the box, to keep sound from distorting from behind or something. So having it in there doesnt matter? I can rip it out?

netzero
03-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh and as for sound quality, i cant test mine, but my friends sub was a sony xplode in a crappy sealed prefab box. As soon as we dropped it in the new ported box, world of a difference and we both were very pleased so im hoping its the same with me. People have been hounding me to put them in a ported box for a while so i finally am going to.

PV Audio
03-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Not sure what it sounds like yet, I sold my last amp to the guy I built the first ported box to, and i havnt had the cash to get the ZX750.1 I plan to lol. As for the batting, some guy I was talking to a while back said he was a custom audio guy and told me to always put batting on the walls of the box, to keep sound from distorting from behind or something. So having it in there doesnt matter? I can rip it out?That little in a car audio enclosure won't really make an audible difference.

netzero
03-17-2008, 08:19 PM
That little in a car audio enclosure won't really make an audible difference.

I was planning to finish covering all the walls and double layering it top, bottom, left, and right. Will that be any different or should i just scrap the whole idea and pull it out?

PV Audio
03-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Honestly, I don't even worry about it in car audio. In a home audio situation, that's different, but for this, it really won't yield too much beneficial.

netzero
03-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Ok thanks, other than that, hows it look?

PV Audio
03-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Looks great :)

Kold_Killa
03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Very nice for 16 years of age... I'm glad to see you building your own stuff and doing it pretty well at that... IMO, I'm very impressed

netzero
03-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I owe 99% of my hobbies knowledge to everyone on the forums here, yes the search button is a very good friend. I'm having some legal issues with my ex employer that are preventing me from buying anything right now, but when thats cleared up and i get working again i plan on saving up for a ZX750.1 and 2 PBX Evos. I thought my premiers sounded alright on crappy 250 kenwood watts.... Can't wait

revrider1
03-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I paint all my boxes, looks nice

netzero
03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I paint all my boxes, looks nice

When you paint them, what kind of paint do you use? Do you spray them with a airless or do you roll/brush? I rolled and sprayed clear coat, but its not as smooth as id like, If i use our sprayer in the future with the right kind of paint will it be nice and smooth? Thanks

BrianChia
03-17-2008, 10:57 PM
It looks good--nice job. Premier is great equipment. Let us know how it sounds. :)

netzero
03-17-2008, 11:00 PM
It looks good--nice job. Premier is great equipment. Let us know how it sounds. :)

Thanks man, I will in the future!

PV Audio
03-18-2008, 06:26 AM
Your painting issues lie in the preparation. You must, and I mean must, use both a sealant, and a primer before you paint. You can use water or oil based sealers, but I prefer oil based, such as minwax sanding sealer. The primer must be a high build primer such as used in automotive applications, or a primer for lacquer paint. It takes a long time to perfectly prep a cabinet for paint, but the rewards are very worth it. :)

netzero
03-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Okay, what i did was got an oil based wood sealer/primer from lowes and put a coat on, scuff sanded it and put another on. I was going to do one more primer coat but when dad came to check on it he thought the latex paint i was going to put on wouldn't work with the oil based primer so he told me to stop and let the primer dry as best as it could and go ahead and put the latex on. I heard that oil based primer will work with any over coat and people doing that here, is that true? When my dad told me that i freaked out thinking my paint wouldn't adhere right.

PV Audio
03-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Wow, two coats of sealant? You need about 3x that for effective sealing. Oil based sealants are fine, btw.

netzero
03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Ya It bummed me out. Dad was a little worried that the latex might not adhere to the oil based primer so he just wanted me to put the paint on. But its cool. We've had issues with oil based inside our house so i thought the same for primer, but it seems like i would have been fine. Oh well Its my first go at it and i think its looking pretty nice, putting two more coats of clear on it today. I dont really show off my subs anyway lol, might now though because it looks **** :)