PDA

View Full Version : winISD???? how to.

miker
03-16-2008, 05:57 PM
umm yeah.. First off, the stuff is in liters and meters.. So that doesn't help..

I just really don't get how to use it.

help would be cool

MemphisCherokee
03-16-2008, 07:29 PM
.......i havent used winisd in a while
if i remember right, if you click the measurement unit it change from metric to imperial

Atimm693
03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Pick the first driver on the list, it wont change anything, then change it to ported.

For the metric conversions just click on them till you get standard measurements. Enter volume, tuning frequency, port width and height, and bam you get you're length.

Also the alignments are worthless, so just hit ok or next.

miker
03-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Ok, thanks..

Like, how do you decide how much port area you want?

MemphisCherokee
03-16-2008, 07:38 PM
are you serious or just being a troll
im thinking troll by your post count

Atimm693
03-16-2008, 07:42 PM

Me or the OP? :confused:

He asked a question and i helped answer it. It just happened you posted a few seconds before i did.

miker
03-16-2008, 07:43 PM

No.. I really don't know.. I've heard that you want a certain amount of port area, jsut don't know how much I want, or how to figure that..

and if this was directed at me.. I don't give a **** about post count...

BrianChia
03-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Read the help file, do some research on what different T/S parameters mean. Read the "how to design a ported box" sticky in this forum.

DBDRAGGUY
03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
No.. I really don't know.. I've heard that you want a certain amount of port area, jsut don't know how much I want, or how to figure that..

and if this was directed at me.. I don't give a **** about post count...

winISD is good for calculating enclosure frequency. as for how much port you will need depends on your particular driver and what you are wanting from it. Most of the other tools on it are useless to me. But I have never been able to load a new drivers specs into it.

BrianChia
03-16-2008, 07:52 PM
The other tools are very versatile if you understand/know how to use them. For example you can predict the transfer function of your car to plot a more accurate response graph for your sub. You can also estimate port area with WinISD.

Port area is dependent on the volume of displacement, Vd. Vd is dependent on the excursion of the driver and the power being supplied to the driver. Mechanical power handling is dependent on the Xmax of the driver. WinISD Pro can predict port velocity vs. frequency for given port dimensions and supplied power. You want to try to keep this figure below 30 m/s which is <10&#37; the speed of sound (just a guideline). Ideally 15 m/s or less would be optimum to avoid any port turbulence/compression problems.

PSturmer
03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
winisd really doesnt do much. it doesnt take into account the acoustics of the car making it not accurate.

miker
03-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Alright.. I got 39sq in port. 22in long. 2.7c ft, @37hz..

For a 12in Alpine type R. .