PDA

View Full Version : build me a box!

jamesdean
03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
I've admitted defeat! I wanted to build my own box but after tools and material, it would be more than having someone else build it. So if you live in tampa, fl and build then please give me price to build a box with these dimensions:

29" x 14.5" x 12"
11 3/8ths opening for two twelves
double faced

Thanx in advance

mobeious
03-16-2008, 03:03 PM
im about 45mins from u send me a PM of what u want

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 03:24 PM
My Christ, are you serious?

IgnoreMe
03-16-2008, 03:26 PM
yea, because renting a drill at home depot is gonna be more than a $250 shipped box :rolleyes:

jamesdean
03-16-2008, 03:43 PM
yea, because renting a drill at home depot is gonna be more than a $250 shipped box :rolleyes:

Alright smartasses! let's break it down:
$40 in lumber
$3 glue
$3 caulk
x amount for carpeting and spray adhesive
x amount for clamps
$30 for saw(home depot didn't have any to rent)
$5 for wire posts
= roughly $ 90 to $100

also, if u actually read my post it said LOCAL, this way to avoid shipping. I have local shops that will make an excellent box with rounded corners for $125 (keep in mind that all I want is a simple but quality SEALED box) but I'd like to see if it can be made for less by an individual.

IgnoreMe
03-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Alright smartasses! let's break it down:
$40 in lumber
$3 glue
$3 caulk
x amount for carpeting and spray adhesive
x amount for clamps
$30 for saw(home depot didn't have any to rent)
$5 for wire posts
= roughly $ 90 to $100

also, if u actually read my post it said LOCAL, this way to avoid shipping. I have local shops that will make an excellent box with rounded corners for $125 (keep in mind that all I want is a simple but quality SEALED box) but I'd like to see if it can be made for less by an individual.

yes lets break it down:

1) you wont need more than 1 sheet of mdf = $25

2) you dont need clamps...ive built 8 or so boxes now without clamps...

3) carpet and spray adhesive is cheap

4) home depot can cut the wood for you...thats how i had a **** load of boxes done before i had access to a circular saw even

hmm, looks pretty cheap to me. if i had to spend $100 on a box everytime...i wouldnt be into car audio.

miker
03-16-2008, 03:47 PM
25$ for wood. about 20$ for carpet and such

tools.. You can use them again and again.. You will always be wanting new boxes.

Nothing wrong with someone building it for you, jsut your reasons for it are wrong..

IgnoreMe
03-16-2008, 03:50 PM
**** i forgot, with a tiny *** sealed box you can probably just buy a half sheet of mdf that lowes sells for about $15 bucks, if not less

mobeious
03-16-2008, 03:52 PM
depending on the size of the box.... well for 1 cubes sealed carpeted i charge $110 that with rounded corners.. terminal... carpet flush mount

Random1010
03-16-2008, 03:57 PM
depending on the size of the box.... well for 1 cubes sealed carpeted i charge $110 that with rounded corners.. terminal... carpet flush mount

wow for 1 cube sealed, sanded, primered, painted, and rounded corners and terminal i charge like $40

miker
03-16-2008, 03:57 PM
wow for 1 cube sealed, sanded, primered, painted, and rounded corners and terminal i charge like $40

it would cost you more in materials than 40$... I think..

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:02 PM

like $40? ya....b/s.

:bsflag:

JarvisB
03-16-2008, 04:02 PM
^^ 40? oh please

I ll vouch for mobeious, great builder! built me a nice box! Great price nonetheless

BTW, dont ever have Home Depot cut wood for you if you decide to do it yourself, unless if they are going to cut it with a table saw and some kind of measurement on hand.. Because when I built my box before, I didnt have table saw and the Home Depot nearby my home cut my MDF on some kind of slider that goes from top to bottom to cut wood.. hard to explain, but the cut was bad, all of the wood were off by at least 1/4 inch

IgnoreMe
03-16-2008, 04:03 PM
like $40? ya....b/s.

:bsflag:

at 1 cubic foot for $40...you can make a lot more than 1 box out of a 4x8 sheet of mdf... its not like he's gonna scrap the mdf right after that. hell for all you know the deal could be that he keeps the mdf

mobeious
03-16-2008, 04:04 PM
well the wood i use is 38 a sheet so that 40 would be out the window for me lol but hey if u can do it for 40 more power to ya

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:06 PM
umm im serious..i just built 4 cu ft at 30hz for 2 10"s routered and sanded with terminal for $80. still sitting in my garage waiting for pickup. takes like 45 minutes to make a 1 cu ft sealed box i mean cmon..its ****in 4 sides..i actually do it for the fun of building tho..i dont care about the money

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:07 PM
well the wood i use is 38 a sheet so that 40 would be out the window for me lol but hey if u can do it for 40 more power to ya

i use 3/4 mdf. its $22.98 here. i bought 12 cans of high gloss black last year and it was **** cheap so paint isnt a problem for me. labor costs..i dont really care because building is farr from my main source of income

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:07 PM
i actually do it for the fun of building tho..i dont care about the money

Then make me one for free. :)

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
i use 3/4 mdf. its $22.98 here. i bought 12 cans of high gloss black last year and it was **** cheap so paint isnt a problem for me. labor costs..i dont really care because building is farr from my main source of income

Where do you get your mdf?

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Then make me one for free. :)

sure give me money for materials and shipping. balls in ur court now big guy.

JarvisB
^^ Lol

thats cool that you dont mind the labor cost.. Then I guess you can build this guy a box.. Good luck..

Random1010
Where do you get your mdf?

Lowe's. home depot just raised their mdf price to $25.40

97gp
03-16-2008, 04:11 PM
umm im serious..i just built 4 cu ft at 30hz for 2 10"s routered and sanded with terminal for $80. still sitting in my garage waiting for pickup. takes like 45 minutes to make a 1 cu ft sealed box i mean cmon..its ****in 4 sides..i actually do it for the fun of building tho..i dont care about the money

No wonder it's so cheap, it doesnt have a top or bottom.

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:11 PM
^^ Lol

thats cool that you dont mind the labor cost.. Then I guess you can build this guy a box.. Good luck..

no i really hate shipping boxes to be honest. finding packaging materials, dragging it down to ups, paying an assload for shipping..nah. ive only shipped once and probably wont do it again. i get plenty of business locally, right now ive got 4 boxes i havent even started on. im finishing up the fiberglass center console today and tomorrow i start a box for a reconed T4 18"

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:12 PM

LMFAO :laugh:

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:12 PM

haha ya got me..i prefer 3 sides actually. wait..**** my six key doesnt work! wtf..
344578..wow thats gay.

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:14 PM
There are two problems with this thread:

1. The threadstarter is an idiot. You posted that you wanted a box made without saying internal space, tuning, port requirements, vehicle, nor speaker, and expect someone to do this for you. That's just laughable.

2. The people arguing about how much it costs to build a box. If someone likes living in the red by selling a painted enclosure for 40 dollars out the door, then let them keep lowering the mean IQ until they huff a bit too much paint. Problem solved.

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:15 PM

1. The threadstarter is an idiot. You posted that you wanted a box made without saying internal space, tuning, port requirements, vehicle, nor speaker, and expect someone to do this for you. That's just laughable.

2. The people arguing about how much it costs to build a box. If someone likes living in the red by selling a painted enclosure for 40 dollars out the door, then let them keep lowering the mean IQ until they huff a bit too much paint. Problem solved.

living in the red? excuse me sir but i build boxes on the weekends for fun. i make plenty during the week and building is one of the best ways ive found to release some stress and relax. whats wrong with me building and selling at the price i want? do you have a problem with that?

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:16 PM
3. You complain too much. (PV Audio)

mobeious
03-16-2008, 04:19 PM
well building boxes is good and all but once uv built hundreds its not the same building a box for material cost .. i mean really id rather be doin somthing else not making money then enhaling MDF dust for a couple hrs.... and u get wear and tear on ur equipment every time u build a box so if u keep building them for no charge u will eventually go in the hole because ur going to have to replace a tool sooner or later. Id rather make a lil money then loose it.. but thats just me .. and shipping boxes isnt that bad really.. go up to UPS and buy some boxes and it takes just a couple mins to box it up.. if the buyer is willin to pay shipping there shouldnt really be a problem... ya sometimes its costly.... i just shipped a box for 4 12's and it was around 265 for shippin alone

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:20 PM
3. You complain too much. (PV Audio)
You've been here for one week, and you think you know me. Wow.

living in the red? excuse me sir but i build boxes on the weekends for fun. i make plenty during the week and building is one of the best ways ive found to release some stress and relax. whats wrong with me building and selling at the price i want? do you have a problem with that?There is no problem; if you could read, you would see that's the entire purpose of my post.

miker
03-16-2008, 04:21 PM
LOL at this thread.. Go buy a ****ing saw. Build a box, have some fun! build some more!!!

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:22 PM
well building boxes is good and all but once uv built hundreds its not the same building a box for material cost .. i mean really id rather be doin somthing else not making money then enhaling MDF dust for a couple hrs.... and u get wear and tear on ur equipment every time u build a box so if u keep building them for no charge u will eventually go in the hole because ur going to have to replace a tool sooner or later. Id rather make a lil money then loose it.. but thats just me .. and shipping boxes isnt that bad really.. go up to UPS and buy some boxes and it takes just a couple mins to box it up.. if the buyer is willin to pay shipping there shouldnt really be a problem... ya sometimes its costly.... i just shipped a box for 4 12's and it was around 265 for shippin alone

ya i saw that box..ive been following that whole setup. should sound great..
i make enough profit to easily keep the tools going..plus im not the only one who uses my garage. 2 friends do the same thing so maintenance really isnt an issue. i actually just bought a new table saw blade yesterday.
i understand what you're saying though. i wont be building for much longer because im getting really busy with other things. work is picking up and getting hectic. after i finish the 4 upcoming boxes ill probably do 2 more in the next 6 months and cut back to that kind of rate..

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:22 PM
LOL at this thread.. Go buy a ****ing saw. Build a box, have some fun! build some more!!!Dead on.

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:23 PM
You've been here for one week, and you think you know me. Wow.

Did you see in any of my posts that I said "I know you?" No, you didn't.

:read:

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Dead on.

x2..
anyways to the OP...just build the box. you'll learn a lot doing it yourself and it'll definitly help you build in the future.

mobeious
03-16-2008, 04:24 PM
how much did u spend on ur blade?

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Did you see in any of my posts that I said "I know you?" No, you didn't.

:read:Again, you've been here for exactly a week. You haven't been here long enough to pass judgment on any members.

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:27 PM
how much did u spend on ur blade?

to be honest my friend was the one to go buy it. i think it cost around $100? i owe him $55 for it i just dont know how much he put up..

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:27 PM
ya i saw that box..ive been following that whole setup. should sound great..
i make enough profit to easily keep the tools going..plus im not the only one who uses my garage. 2 friends do the same thing so maintenance really isnt an issue. i actually just bought a new table saw blade yesterday.
i understand what you're saying though. i wont be building for much longer because im getting really busy with other things. work is picking up and getting hectic. after i finish the 4 upcoming boxes ill probably do 2 more in the next 6 months and cut back to that kind of rate..But why NOT charge money? Seriously, like mobes said, it's fun until you need to replace your saw blade, or get new drillbits, or hell, cook a router and need up upgrade. If you don't have a net income, you're just going to sink deeper and deeper. There's a partial limit on what you can learn building boxes; but once you pass that asymptote, you realize that you should've been charging all along because you're pouring money down the drain.

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Again, you've been here for exactly a week. You haven't been here long enough to pass judgment on any members.

Well, apparently I've been here long enough to know that you sir are a *******. I joined 3.08.08. Today is 3.16.08. 16 - 8 = 8. One week = 7 days. I've been a member for 8 days.

Nice try though...

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Well, apparently I've been here long enough to know that you sir are a *******. I joined 3.08.08. Today is 3.16.08. 16 - 8 = 8. One week = 7 days. I've been a member for 8 days.

Nice try though...If you want to get all in detail, you've been here for 7 days and a few hours. Considering most people don't sign up at midnight, we'll round it to 7 days, aka, a week. Just leave.

97gp

Nice try though...

Go kill yourself.

Random1010
But why NOT charge money? Seriously, like mobes said, it's fun until you need to replace your saw blade, or get new drillbits, or hell, cook a router and need up upgrade. If you don't have a net income, you're just going to sink deeper and deeper. There's a partial limit on what you can learn building boxes; but once you pass that asymptote, you realize that you should've been charging all along because you're pouring money down the drain.

i do charge money. if the box is going to take longer than 2 hours to build ya sure i charge. someone on here is having me build an 8 cu ft box at 36hz. im charging $200. $45 for wood. and ive got all the rest at the garage.

mobeious
03-16-2008, 04:30 PM
But why NOT charge money? Seriously, like mobes said, it's fun until you need to replace your saw blade, or get new drillbits, or hell, cook a router and need up upgrade. If you don't have a net income, you're just going to sink deeper and deeper. There's a partial limit on what you can learn building boxes; but once you pass that asymptote, you realize that you should've been charging all along because you're pouring money down the drain.

glad someone thinks like me

miker
03-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Lol, Ban???

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:31 PM
If you want to get all in detail, you've been here for 7 days and a few hours. Considering most people don't sign up at midnight, we'll round it to 7 days, aka, a week. Just leave.

Maybe I'm not most people.....

Random1010
Lol, Ban???

ur a ****tard.

mobeious
8 cube ported i could prolly knock out in 2hrs if it was a simple design... so does that mean i still should charge 40?

PV Audio
i do charge money. if the box is going to take longer than 2 hours to build ya sure i charge. someone on here is having me build an 8 cu ft box at 36hz. im charging $200. $45 for wood. and ive got all the rest at the garage.Eh, to each his own, but I like that chedda, know what I'm sayin? :D

miker
03-16-2008, 04:32 PM
ur a ****tard.

I asn;t talking about you..

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:33 PM
8 cube ported i could prolly knock out in 2hrs if it was a simple design... so does that mean i still should charge 40?:eek: Are we including finishing? If so, you must be on speed to cut, build, sand, and finish an enclosure in under two hours.

Random1010
03-16-2008, 04:34 PM
8 cube ported i could prolly knock out in 2hrs if it was a simple design... so does that mean i still should charge 40?

would you honestly be satisfied with your work? i know i wouldnt be. bigger box is obviously going to cost more money. plus more materials. dont take what i say and try to apply it to every idea you come up with. use some **** common sense man.

Eh, to each his own, but I like that chedda, know what I'm sayin? :D

absolutely. right now im building a fiberglass box that im charging $400 for. but its a learning experience so im fine with it

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Where's Dylan and fishface when we need 'em? :(

mobeious
03-16-2008, 04:36 PM
i could knock it out in 2hrs befor carpet... but i was just making a point of u said anything under 2hrs u would charge 40

miker
03-16-2008, 04:37 PM
guys.. this is nothing to argue about.. lol.

Terra, enjoys building boxes. He makes a small profit on them, but does it mostly for the fun of it. I feel that, b/c thats what I wuold do too.

Mobeious has built so many boxes that now it's more about the profit, and he can charge what he does b/c people need boxes and he does a good job (not saying you don't terra)

serisouly it's nothing to argue about..

dannyz122001
03-16-2008, 04:38 PM
how do yall go about charging what you do? i know that some arent worried about the money and all and i cant agree with that, but how do you go about stating your price as far as labor and all?? by the hour? thanks

***i CAN agree with that

mobeious
lol this dudes thread has went to hell... he is prolly like wtf happend

Random1010

Terra, enjoys building boxes. He makes a small profit on them, but does it mostly for the fun of it. I feel that, b/c thats what I wuold do too.

Mobeious has built so many boxes that now it's more about the profit, and he can charge what he does b/c people need boxes and he does a good job (not saying you don't terra)

serisouly it's nothing to argue about..

lol we're not arguing..simply discussing the finer aspects of the cost over labor/materials ratio.

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:39 PM

serisouly it's nothing to argue about..Of course it's nothing to argue about, but it's a sunday, I don't feel like doing C++ homework and I left my running shoes in my dorm, so why not sit back and discuss some issues? :D

miker
03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
lol we're not arguing..simply discussing the finer aspects of the cost over labor/materials ratio.

haha, seems like an argument, but call ti what you like.

You two aren't going to change opinions.. They're both perfectly acceptable, but w/e.

miker
03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Sorry. I'm ruining yuor fun guys.. i'ma leave now ;)

Moto959
03-16-2008, 04:43 PM
It's fine. You're just adding to the argument.

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 04:44 PM
how do yall go about charging what you do? i know that some arent worried about the money and all and i cant agree with that, but how do you go about stating your price as far as labor and all?? by the hour? thanks

***i CAN agree with thatYou just have to do it enough to tell how much it costs to build one, then realize what profit you should make off it. Usually, it's pretty easy to set some baseline numbers i.e. 1 ported 12" is 120 from me, because after countless times making the same 2.25 at 32hz enclosure, its the best price for them and me.

miker
03-16-2008, 04:50 PM
I would jsut set aside 40$ for material costs (excluding carpet/ paint) for a smaller ported box (like up to 3.5 cubes)

then charge what you think your time is worth.. How good of a job you do etc.

dannyz122001
03-16-2008, 05:05 PM
got ya. thanks

Pyro_By_Nature
03-16-2008, 05:20 PM

If you're a builder, I KNOW you don't have to go buy a sheet of MDF for a 1 cube box. :laugh:

mobeious
03-16-2008, 05:39 PM
well the way i do is if it takes most of a sheet to do the box i charge for the full sheet.. most of the boxes i do i can layout the cutout to use the most of the sheet of wood... so i rarely have any left over.. only time i do is if i have like 1 piece i cant fit on the layout

bjfish11
03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Where's Dylan and fishface when we need 'em? :(

In the house!

BTW, I can knock out a slot port box with carpet in about an hour and a half. :laugh:

If I didnt have to watch the paint dry

jamesdean
03-16-2008, 09:02 PM

First off *******, I'm not an idiot, I'm just new in car audio and secondly I gave the dimensions and said I wanted it sealed which I'm no car audio geniuse but it does not require ports. if I left out any required information, all anyone had to do was ask. If all you do is trash on other people threads than maybe you should stop jacking off to the computer and walk outside and find yourself a life!

mobeious
03-16-2008, 09:03 PM
pm details and i can help ya out

PV Audio
03-16-2008, 09:16 PM
First off *******, I'm not an idiot, I'm just new in car audio and secondly I gave the dimensions and said I wanted it sealed which I'm no car audio geniuse but it does not require ports. if I left out any required information, all anyone had to do was ask. If all you do is trash on other people threads than maybe you should stop jacking off to the computer and walk outside and find yourself a life!:laugh::laugh::laugh: