PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for '08 Subaru Impreza

ridingsilence
03-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Hey all,

Like I said, I have an '08 Impreza sedan with a 4 speaker factory installed system which I am looking to change because quite frankly they are unlistenable. The catch though is I have absolutely no idea of where to start. I looked on Crutchfield and it said that they all are 6 1/2" dia.

I am not looking to change the HU for now but will probably change it too in the next year or so. I am not looking to put in an amp either so the speakers would require to be sensitive enough to be powered by my existing HU which most probably is very low powered (I may be persuaded to change that if absolutely necessary).

I basically listen to a lot of post rock (Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor!) and progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree). Basically the majority of the music is of a very dense composition and requires the speakers to separate the various instruments to sound good. Although I am not much of a bass head, I like it to have a good thump but any bloating and clouding of the mid-ranges is an absolute no-no. I would gladly sacrifice the bass to have a perfect guitar and vocal definition. In short, speakers with a good soundstage and dynamism. (If any of are into high end headphones, basically something that sounds like a Grado RS-1 (http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=123&graphID%5B1%5D=&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones))

So I guess the questions are:

1) Which speakers would fit my requirements (high sensitivity, liquid mid range, bass expendable, good separation)?
2) Would I need to change all 4 speakers or would the front two suffice? (I am not exactly sure what the relationship between the front and rear speakers are)

Budget is flexible but with most bang for the buck qualities. Would like to keep it around $250 though.

Thanks guys. Would really appreciate if you could help me out.

PS: Are the demands unreasonable?