PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement... Good idea?

OoMesKoO
03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Can anyone help me out with if this would be a decent idea, or totally worthless. What im planning on doing is taking a midrange or comp. set, possibly even a set of Eminence Alpha 8's and putting one on either side of the backseat... See picture....

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2980000-2980999/2980500_4.jpg

(Not mine, Thanks for cardomain.com)

See that opening to the left and right side of each backseat headrest? My enclosure is the full width of the cargo area. Id like to build a seperate little enclosure for each, facing forward towards the front seats. Anyone see this as a good idea?

Ken448
03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
do you sit in the back? If not, then leave the stage in the front!

OoMesKoO
03-15-2008, 12:19 PM
the main reason is I hear my passengers talk **** because all the soundstage is in the front. So the backseat passengers can ONLY hear subwoofer, with very faint highs/mids. lol. Figured that should even it out throughout the seating area.

Ken448
03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
are they buying? If not, tell em to STFU and enjoy the massage

OoMesKoO
03-15-2008, 12:29 PM
are they buying? If not, tell em to STFU and enjoy the massage

lol. I hear ya.

Do you think it would help out the overall vocals in the vehicle in any aspect? Id like to fiberglass some kickpanels... I just dont think id be able to do it.

Ken448
03-15-2008, 12:36 PM
glassin something really inst that hard to do if you have the patience to do it right! And can handle the fumes (they get bad!)
As for the helping the sound thing.. In every install I do, I may leave the speakers in the back (so I have tunes available if I need to yank everyhing out for some reason) but I just fade them out completley. Turn the bass down, and turn the volume up so your passengers stop complaining. It has a lot to do with personal preference, but for me... No singing behind me please :)

RAM_Designs
03-15-2008, 12:44 PM
the fact that you're considering Eminence is frightening.

OoMesKoO
03-15-2008, 12:46 PM
the fact that you're considering Eminence is frightening.

:crap: Never heard them before. Just heard they got pretty loud.

OoMesKoO
03-15-2008, 12:55 PM
I know its kind of hard to tell where it is im talking about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/oomeskoo/seakers.jpg

Those 2 spots. Speaker facing forward towards the front seats.

2002XLT
03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
dont you have door speakers?

OoMesKoO
03-15-2008, 01:04 PM
The back doors of my tahoe dont have speakers. lol. Dont ask me why. There seems to be a spot for them, just not enough room to mount any. Also, i figured with this idea, id still get some of that soundstage in the front seat.

2002XLT
03-15-2008, 01:08 PM
so your truck only had 2 speakers from the factory?

OoMesKoO
03-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Its got the setup for 2 front door speakers... 2 tweets... and 2 rear 4x10s in the roof of the cargo area. Pretty useless if you ask me.

2002XLT
03-15-2008, 01:13 PM
2 4 x 10s in the roof? wtf. lol. Have you tried upgrading those and possibly amping them? I think you would have better luck doing that and working with what you have vs adding 2 speakers in that location. Not only that, but i would be a lot more pissed if i had a speaker blaring RIGHT in my ear vs not hearing anything, i mean where thats located would be right next to a passengers ear. JMO.

OoMesKoO
03-15-2008, 01:16 PM
2 4 x 10s in the roof? wtf. lol. Have you tried upgrading those and possibly amping them? I think you would have better luck doing that and working with what you have vs adding 2 speakers in that location. Not only that, but i would be a lot more pissed if i had a speaker blaring RIGHT in my ear vs not hearing anything, i mean where thats located would be right next to a passengers ear. JMO.

Thats pretty much the idea. Kind of like a "**** you" to the rear passenger. lol. Id assume it would help out the soundstage in the front of the vehicle as well, no? Hhhhhhmmmmmmmm........

:confused:

oldschool4me
03-15-2008, 01:25 PM
yea you dont want to blast them out with schrillness straight to the ear. i would recommend a nice midbass so that you dont ruin your front stage and gives the people in the rear something to hear and if you blend them right it will improve your midbass frequencies and give you a warmer over all sound. you should hardly hear them from the front seat.

ronjon228
03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Honestly, adding any speaker behind you is going to throw off the sound stage. It's something that can't really be avoided. It's easier with low Hz tones are they are less directional, but none the less, it still can mess things up.

I'd say put some speakers back there, and like others have suggested, leave them off when it's only you in the car. Then, when you have passengers, go ahead and turn them on. That way you have the best of both worlds.

This is how my setup is now. I have presets for driver balance that are "driver only" and "passenger". Obviously you can figure out what they mean. Basically when some one is riding with me, I enable the passenger preset and it equals out the driver balance, taking the passengers presence into account.