PDA

View Full Version : PG RSD Components, am I paranoid?

JoeSVT
03-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I have a Scion tC, I wired everything up to the crossover and to the amplifier, now I do not have these connected to my headunit because I still haven't gotten that from Fedex, but this is my situation.

When powering on the amplifier that is connected to the PG RSD components, I can hear a "thump" sound from the driver side components and not the passanger side, this happens when I turn the ignition key to [ON] and the amps power on, now another thing, I'm not sure why this is happening, but my sub is connected to my stock HU, when playing music on the stock rears , the sub hits hard and I notice the driver side components making a "thumping" sound and it sort of happens when the sub is hitting harder.

I do not have these connected to the sub amp, which makes me go :crazy: . Should I wait until I get my head unit in and connected with the speakers before I jump back inside the car and start tearing **** apart ? It's only the driver side that does this, the passanger is fine. Help please.

JoeSVT
03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Here is a video of what is happening, http://www.joejimenez.com/tccomp.wmv

grimreper912003
03-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Check your amp ground...Grounds make weird things happen

JoeSVT
03-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Check your amp ground...Grounds make weird things happen

I will check the grounds, should I recheck the components too, on the driver side?

Another thing, why is it only happening on the driver side? And did you see the video? The ****ing thing works fine if I have my hatch open, once I close the hatch, I hear it again!:eek::confused:

grimreper912003
03-14-2008, 05:13 PM
where is the amp grounded too?

JoeSVT
03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
where is the amp grounded too?

On the chassis, on the hatch of the car, I have it connected to rear strut tower bolt

grimreper912003
03-14-2008, 05:17 PM
did you scrape all the paint off? Works best if you take some pics of the ground bolt. I could be wrong here but I had a similar thing happen with two 12"s...one side would hit really hard when starting the car and it turned out to be the ground

JoeSVT
03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
did you scrape all the paint off? Works best if you take some pics of the ground bolt. I could be wrong here but I had a similar thing happen with two 12"s...one side would hit really hard when starting the car and it turned out to be the ground

I'll check the ground to the amp right now, if it turns out to be my ground, will you "LET ME BUY YOU A DRINK" :crazy:

JoeSVT
03-14-2008, 06:02 PM
After taking the driver side panel off, and taking the speaker out, I found something really odd.

I turned the car on, took the speaker baffle off, and the tweeter and the speaker didn't make that noise...

Now when the magnet of the speaker contacted the metal door, the tweeter started making that weird noise again. What does that mean?

JoeSVT
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
For anyone else having this problem, my solution was bad amp. One of the channels on my 2 channel amp was bad, which is why it only happened on the driver side and not the passanger, i switched the passenger to the driver and the driver side was fine and the passanger side started acting up. I switched amps and all is well, I wasn't expecting to switch amps, now instead of 100+rms per channel, it's going to be 180+rms per channel with the new amp .

Thanks!