PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Separation

netzero
03-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Hey guys im thinking about going to components in the front of my escape. particularly the phoenix golds. Two things, are the ryvals any good? I'm going as low price as i can right now, iv got kenwood 6x8 coaxis getting 40 RMS right now though.... Im getting a kicker 2 chan amp to power no comps. would the ryvals be ok or should i go with the RSDs? also, if my woofer is on the very bottom of the door and i put the tweeter in the sail panel will that make the sound funny? I heard they shouldnt be a foot apart? thanks

blackbonnie
03-14-2008, 05:19 AM
go with the rsd's they are not that expensive. if you cant afford the rsd's you shouldnt be into car audio

DejaWiz
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
go with the rsd's they are not that expensive. if you cant afford the rsd's you shouldnt be into car audio

ZING!

But seriously, the RSd65cs is one of the best value/performance choices out there right now, IMO.

netzero
03-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Ouch lol. I know there not expensive, I'm just 16 and my parents HATE the fact that I love car audio and they tend to control my spending when it comes to it... I had seen the rsd's on a website a while ago and had set my mind on them, then came here and saw all the excitement around them. Anyone have any thoughts on the distance between the woofer and tweeter? How far is too far and whats it gonna sound like around 1.75 feet apart? thanks

MTXman
03-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Tweeter/woofer distance isn't much of a factor in sound quality, you don't want them really close but other than that you will be fine - on axis/off axis is more what you need to focus on.

The RSD's tweeters sound pretty good off axis IMO, never had them on axis, but I'd only assume they'd sound better.

netzero
03-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Ok so when you say on axis, you mean directly above, below, left, or right? Heres a pic of what my door looks like. http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1228/doorpanelzq7.jpg
Would the two red spots be ok for woofer and tweet locations?
Not my car btw, just the only good pic i could find. Thanks

netzero
03-14-2008, 05:56 PM
goin out for a gig, bump for knowledge please :)

DejaWiz
03-14-2008, 07:50 PM
On axis means that the mid and tweeter are pointing in the same direction. Off axis means that the mid would be pointing one direction and the tweeter would be pointing another; like if the mid was pointing at your leg/center console and the tweeter was pointing a little towards your head.

netzero
03-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Ok so if i put the tweeters high in the sail panel and the woofer in the factory spot, it doesnt really matter as much as how far away from each other, but of of that there aiming the same direction? If thats true, if the woofer is points perpendicular to the door the the tweeter should also and not aim it towards the ears? Thanks

DejaWiz
03-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Nope. Well, maybe.... it's all going to depend on how the tweeters perform on or off axis and what sounds best to you. Some people prefer to have the tweeters as close to the mids as possible, others prefer to have them sitting a little ways apart. It's going to take some experimentation on your part to determine what's best for your ears.

netzero
03-15-2008, 08:57 PM
OK thanks, I understand the axis thing, now i'll just experiment, though i hope they sound good in the sail panel just for installations sake lol. thanks everyone

DejaWiz
03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Almost every tweeter will do fine in a sail panel, it just comes down to a personal preference thing. I prefer mine in the sail panel or a little ways up on the a-pillar.

MiniVanMan
03-15-2008, 11:20 PM
It really depends on how the set is designed overall. So, mostly it comes down to the crossover. Since companies don't tell us how the crossovers are designed, we usually just have to go with trial and error.

However, it is safe to assume that many sets in the price range you're looking at are designed to be played with the woofer in the door and the tweeter up high.

Oh, and on-axis, off-axis is in relation to the listening position, not the position of the speakers. Yes, a tweeter can be off-axis from the mid, but when the term "off-axis" is used, it's in relation to how a speaker will sound when it's aimed at a particular angle away from the listening position.

Here's a thread where I outline a little bit of what that all means.

It's the 5th response in this thread.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7107

DejaWiz
03-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh, and on-axis, off-axis is in relation to the listening position, not the position of the speakers. Yes, a tweeter can be off-axis from the mid, but when the term "off-axis" is used, it's in relation to how a speaker will sound when it's aimed at a particular angle away from the listening position.

Aaaack! I meant to clarify that, as well! I know some people that refer to a tweeter being off axis from the mid if a mid is in a kick panel pointed at the listener, but the tweeter is not aligned the same.

So yes, if a mid is mounted in a manner so it's pointed 90 degrees from the position of the door panel, then it's would be roughly 35-60 degrees off axis (depending on the vehicle) from the listener sitting in the front seat. More so if sitting in the back seat.

netzero
03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Ahh thanks guys, I think i got it now:toast:! Now just to get the speakers....

squeak9798
03-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Tweeter/woofer distance isn't much of a factor in sound quality, you don't want them really close but other than that you will be fine

:wow:

DejaWiz
03-17-2008, 12:06 AM
:wow:

x2

A lot of people prefer to have the mids and tweeters as close as possible so that the sound source is localized, which can impact imaging tremendously.