PDA

View Full Version : What speakers should i get...

KarimyBaby
03-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I have a 2002 Honda Civic and currently have 12" Apline Type R being powered by Rockford Punch 2 Channel 500 Watt amp...hopefully it's taking my sub to it's fullest potential :confused: but anyway now i wanna add some speakers to my system...fronts right now because i've heard rears are not really neccessary unless you are in competition. I believe the size are 6 1/2 and i love to listen to Hip-Hop and especially R&B so clarity or i guess vocals is something im big on. I work at Best Buy and have asked my coworkers that work in Car Audio wats best for me and they say Infinity's are the way to go but i've seen posts here saying that they **** and should go with some pioneers...any recomendations please..preferrably i would like to buy the speakers at Best Buy since i can use my discount :D but im open to all suggestions. Thanks

miker
03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
NO. you could give that Type R 1000+

krisfnbz
03-12-2008, 07:36 PM
I am not a big fan of Alpine/Pioneer and Infinity... or really anything best buy sells as a front stage in my car.

Get a good set of component speakers and drive them with a nice 2 channel amp and install them properly with your front doors deadened and you should be straight.

Some Speakers I would reccommend that arent to high in cost would be:

CDT CL-61A's
Some rainbows, Either 265SLX, 265SLC's, or kicks.
PG RSD's- for some reason they are suppost to be beast $87 comps.

miker
03-12-2008, 08:26 PM
I am not a big fan of Alpine/Pioneer and Infinity... or really anything best buy sells as a front stage in my car.

Get a good set of component speakers and drive them with a nice 2 channel amp and install them properly with your front doors deadened and you should be straight.

Some Speakers I would reccommend that arent to high in cost would be:

CDT CL-61A's
Some rainbows, Either 265SLX, 265SLC's, or kicks.
PG RSD's- for some reason they are suppost to be beast $87 comps.

I agree with you on the infinities.. They sound terrible. . . Especially for how much you would be spending, the PG RSD's would be such a better choice.

Platinumxpimp
03-13-2008, 01:07 AM
if you're on a tight budget the RSDs are the way to go

KarimyBaby
03-13-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm not on a tight budget..its more like best bang for my buck..don't wanna spend hella money on a pair whn I can spend less for better or equivalent quality...so nobody think some pioneers...I think I saw some other posts I think on pioneer revs???...the speakers don't have to be sold at best buy...it would just be a convinience...and u don't think my 2 channel 500watt amp is fully powering my type r...its 500watt rms i believe? It sounds good to me but maybe it can be better...only thing is the trunk rattle...wat do u suggest dynamaat or insulation foam...same for da doors whn I do get speakers. Thanks for da suggestions.

KarimyBaby
03-13-2008, 02:21 AM
bump^^

moh.vze.com
03-14-2008, 01:44 AM
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_23_128&products_id=659

http://www.edesignaudio.com/logos/ms6a+9.2

That's what I have except I bought it seperate.

I paid ~$210 or something for the nine.2 and ~$230 for the DLS MS6A from a different seller.

They sound really good.

DejaWiz
03-14-2008, 09:56 AM
I work at Best Buy and have asked my coworkers that work in Car Audio wats best for me and they say Infinity's are the way to go

This is all subjective... go and audition them for yourself. Don't rely on anybody to tell you what is a good sounding speaker and what is not, as it's up to your ears to decide. There are exceptions to this, such as the RSd's, but these come once every 4 blue moons.

Certainly don't limit yourself to Best Buy's selection... head on over to some local audio shops and tote along your own music. Take notes about things that stand out (both positive and negative) so you can sit down and compare what you've auditioned.

Keep in mind that a set of speakers are going to sound very different in a store's soundboard than they will in an actual car, so ask coworkers and employees if they have an actual car install with (insert your speaker model here) that you can audition.

It's going to be a time consuming process, but you have to listen to your choice every day you drive, so why not make it well worth the effort? ;)

ace_800
03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
If your not worried about budget, I'd suggest Boston Acoustic Pro60's. Can easily take 200rms, I had my PG200.4 bridged and they wanted more. Priced ~250 IIRC. I'd put these in over almost anything else I've heard...

KarimyBaby
03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Im going to go to Sound & Alarm today and check out some speakers..hopefully they got those PG RSDs everyone talks about..that is kinda wat i wanted to spend but i can go a bit higher if others are worth it...if i do go wit the RSDs which shud i go wit..da coaxials or da components and why..thanks

krisfnbz
03-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Pioneer revs are good for rear fill,Most pioneer shyt in the front thats on the cheaper side is garbage compared to what is out there for the same price.

KarimyBaby
03-14-2008, 09:37 PM
So i went to Sound & Alarm and they didnt have PG RSDs but the guy working there recommended Alpine Type X or da MB Quarts...and they had a car installed wit sum MB Quarts but they whr the Premium series and they sounded great...i dont kno if its because the car had like 3 layers of Dynamat but i liked the sound...i still would like to hear the RSDs so ima try another place but if any of u guys kno where to find the MB Quarts Premiums if its worth it to pay da extra or find em cheap or just da RSDs are better?

KarimyBaby
03-15-2008, 02:54 AM
In shorter terms... how do the MB Quart [PVF-216] vs PG RSDs stack up...is the extra money worth it for the premiums or even their reference series or is it just a slight difference between those and the RSDs..im guessing the alpine type x cant compete...thanks.

"that boy asad"
03-15-2008, 02:59 AM
i was about to get the MB Quart Premium PVF-216 myself, but i went with Hertz Hi Energy HSK 165 instead... i was soo glad that they told me to get the hertz instead!!!

they are both around the same price, but its much better to go with Hertz than the MB Q's

"that boy asad"
03-15-2008, 03:00 AM
i was about to get the MB Quart Premium PVF-216 myself, but i went with Hertz Hi Energy HSK 165 instead... i was soo glad that they told me to get the hertz instead!!!

they are both around the same price, but its much better to go with Hertz than the MB Q's

Bipolar
03-15-2008, 07:43 AM
PG RSD's all the way..Get a pair off line if you cant find them local.

KarimyBaby
03-15-2008, 08:58 PM
So i've decided to get the PG RSDs since they r my first set...now i just need to kno wat amp i shud get for em and how i shud connect em..i dont even kno wat bridge means..i want to get a Rockford amp..and wat cables shud i get..thanks for all the help guys...

DejaWiz
03-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Look for an amp that will output in the 2x120-160w rms range for best results. This amp (http://www.millionbuy.com/kenkacx20.html) would be a great choice for the money, imo.

tcguy85
03-16-2008, 03:06 PM
get as much power for them as you can afford. but get a minimum of 120 per side. they will take pretty much any amount of clean power that you would want to throw at them.

KarimyBaby
03-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I bought the PG RSDs..i couldnt find em for $87 shipped..bought em from ebay for 79.99 plus shipping..all is left to buy is da amp..i want to get Rockford and u guys say give them 100-125watts minimum but i dont kno which rockford amp...i find sum rockford amps but im afraid if i give them too much power they will blow...or wat ohm they shud be 2 or 4???:confused: wat will ohm do or wat is it??

KarimyBaby
03-17-2008, 07:25 PM
I may have found the rockford amp...Rockford P5002..it says 125w x 2 @ 4 Ohms...i think its the same amp thats powering my 12" Type R..wat do u guys think?? Also i saw the P550.2 rockford but it doesnt say how many watts x 2 @ 4ohms

tcguy85
03-17-2008, 08:24 PM
I bought the PG RSDs..i couldnt find em for $87 shipped..bought em from ebay for 79.99 plus shipping..all is left to buy is da amp..i want to get Rockford and u guys say give them 100-125watts minimum but i dont kno which rockford amp...i find sum rockford amps but im afraid if i give them too much power they will blow...or wat ohm they shud be 2 or 4???:confused: wat will ohm do or wat is it??

give them whatever amount of clean power you want. they will be happy on an amp that does 125 per side as long as you stay out of clipping. they will actually laugh at that amount of power.

i think i am probably the person on here giving them the most power and they love it. i actually haven't heard of anybody giving them as much as i am.

KarimyBaby
03-17-2008, 08:39 PM
How would i make it start clipping?? Wat do u mean by clean power?? I just want to make sure they dont get blown over time

tcguy85
03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
pretty much get an amp that'll have more power than you will use so you won't be pushing the amp to, or past it's limits.

KarimyBaby
03-17-2008, 09:11 PM
pretty much get an amp that'll have more power than you will use so you won't be pushing the amp to, or past it's limits.

Ooh..gotcha...but for example if i get like a amp that can do like 300+watts per channel..how does it feed wat i want it to feed so they dont get blown? Like if i only want it to do at most 160 per channel

miker
03-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Set the gains right...

tcguy85
03-17-2008, 09:18 PM
it might be kind of hard to understand i guess.

i have 5 times the rms rating on mine.

KarimyBaby
03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Ooh..well ima get it professionally installed so they will set it ryte..kuz i dont kno how and i want them to deaden the doors too...i dont kno if u kno how the inside to a 02 civic looks like but u got any ideas whr i can put the tweeters...any as for the sub...i saw ur pictures..can the sub be place to the side of the trunk and sound good or it gotta be in da middle kuz all i got is a box and it moves around the trunk whn i drive..i put a blanket under to help it stop moving alot...thx man..u been alot of help.

tcguy85
03-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Ooh..well ima get it professionally installed so they will set it ryte..kuz i dont kno how and i want them to deaden the doors too...i dont kno if u kno how the inside to a 02 civic looks like but u got any ideas whr i can put the tweeters...any as for the sub...i saw ur pictures..can the sub be place to the side of the trunk and sound good or it gotta be in da middle kuz all i got is a box and it moves around the trunk whn i drive..i put a blanket under to help it stop moving alot...thx man..u been alot of help.

for the tweeters i'm not familiar with the interior layout.

for the sub put it wherever sounds best. try different places. mine is where it is because it sounds best there.