PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new box

cheeto
03-10-2008, 07:15 PM
oookkkkk so I finally eliminated all the variables possible for why my SD2.515 isn't getting as loud as I think it should... Every possible problem lead to the box. The box right now that I have is ***... it's got some split MDF on a few joints, a baffle that's in too far, all kinds of crap like that.

So I've come up with a few options for a box

First:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7541/boxnewlk9.png

Would the straight port piece affect that? I mean, would just having that single port piece, rather than 2 for an L port, affect the sound?

Second:
Same dimensions, only with aero ports. The only reason I wouldnt is because it costs too **** much, I think it's $40 for a 6" precision sound tube, and I'd need two of those... but I have a few questions about those.
Is there anything different about the frequency tuned to when using aeros?
Is the port area needed the same with aeros?
Would I see a large enough gain to buy the aeros?
I used the PSP calculator but that didn't really help in explaining much.

thanks

Atimm693
03-10-2008, 07:35 PM
oookkkkk so I finally eliminated all the variables possible for why my SD2.515 isn't getting as loud as I think it should... Every possible problem lead to the box. The box right now that I have is ***... it's got some split MDF on a few joints, a baffle that's in too far, all kinds of crap like that.

So I've come up with a few options for a box

First:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7541/boxnewlk9.png

Would the straight port piece affect that? I mean, would just having that single port piece, rather than 2 for an L port, affect the sound?

Second:
Same dimensions, only with aero ports. The only reason I wouldnt is because it costs too **** much, I think it's $40 for a 6" precision sound tube, and I'd need two of those... but I have a few questions about those.
Is there anything different about the frequency tuned to when using aeros?
Is the port area needed the same with aeros?
Would I see a large enough gain to buy the aeros?
I used the PSP calculator but that didn't really help in explaining much.

thanks

You generally need less port area with aeros. It probably wouldn't gain much sound wise but it makes building a box easier and it takes up less airspace.

Partsexpress has aeros, im not sure on the price but its probably cheaper that psp.

skadude016
03-10-2008, 07:40 PM
You wouldnt need 2 6 inch aero's. 1 would suffice. Also that single port piece is just the tuning at that box volume and depth and what not.

cheeto
03-10-2008, 08:14 PM
You generally need less port area with aeros. It probably wouldn't gain much sound wise but it makes building a box easier and it takes up less airspace.

Partsexpress has aeros, im not sure on the price but its probably cheaper that psp.

that's why I was thinkin of doin an aero box. Looks seksi too. Partsexpress doesn't have a 6" aero though that's not PSP :<

Oh yeah to the other guy - I'm puttin a 15 in, why only 1 six?

cheeto
03-11-2008, 08:57 PM
A few more questions lol

When the end cu. feet is determined, is that without the sub and the ports? or with? Cuz I came up with a 5 cu ft box that went down to about 4.19 when I estimated port and sub's cu feet.

What's the recommended port area for a 15, aero port wise?

miker
03-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Why does the port area needed change? and do you get A LOT of port noise if the ends aren't flared?

Sorry for the thread jack. . .

cheeto
03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Why does the port area needed change? and do you get A LOT of port noise if the ends aren't flared?

Sorry for the thread jack. . .

Its cool, that's basically the same questions I had but forgot to ask.