PDA

View Full Version : Crossover Placement

Tekjive
03-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Hey all, had a few questions regarding the placement of my crossovers for my SPR-17LS / SPR-57LS. I was wondering if they should be placed as close as possible to the woofer/tweeter or if they are fine near the amp, like the pic in my sig of my old setup. I am using monster XLN 16awg twisted pair for the run. I have enough room on the back of my rear seat to mount the amp and have all 4 crossovers lined up underneath it, I think it will look very nice when I am done and with all cabling hidden underneath the carpet. But before I do I wanted to check in with the gurus to see what your opinions are. Should the crossovers be mounted as close as possible to the woofer/tweeter? If they aren't will I lose ANY sound quality? I'm taking all the precautions to make sure each and every connection is perfect, grounds, power leads, etc.

Let me know what ya think, thanks.

Rich

Post Statement ...What is the best freq for these components? Other gear is listed below if that helps. Looking for opinions from actual owners of these components. I am either going SPR-17LS/SPR-57LS or SPR-17LSx2 (If reviews are true and SPR-57LS ****, lol)

Reson8
03-09-2008, 07:02 AM
I've never heard of a loss of SQ due to crossover placement. I mean, maybe if you had the crossovers up by the speakers, you would have one less set of wires to run from the amp, therefore one less point of potential interference. However, you may get just as bad of interference being under the dash, near electronics, or subject to water in the doors. Really I think it comes down to this: Do you feel like running one set of wires from your amp or two?

Tekjive
03-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks Reson8, I didn't think so but I wanted to make sure, and I run all my cables correctly (away from sources that might inject interfernce) I think I'll stick to my original plan.

Take it ez,

Rich

helotaxi
03-12-2008, 12:27 AM
The crossovers can be placed where ever it is convenient. It won't make a difference whether the longer run of wire is before or after them on the sound. The higher power of the speaker wire signal makes it almost immune to induced noise as well.

BrianChia
03-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Placing them closer to the speakers reduces the amount of wire you need. But the placement won't affect sound quality, as long as you use wires that are thick enough at both ends of the crossover.