PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Deadener treatment?

Jacobman
03-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Just ordered a roll of Raamatt and wanted to know if theres any pre door treatment before applying this stuff. I plan to wash with simple green or something then once dried apply with heat gun. 1 layer for inside and 1 for out, an additional 1-2 layers right behind the woofer. Sound good?

PatFitz9
03-07-2008, 12:52 AM
just clean it with alcohol

audiobahnuser18
03-07-2008, 12:52 AM
sounds good man if you have enough i would just say double layer it all.

Jacobman
03-07-2008, 01:06 AM
K, im pretty stoked about it. I have heard that its like night and day difference with sound deadening and not.

ItalynStylion
03-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Yep, after deadener it's a totally different car. Be sure you use it wisely; some areas don't need as much as others.

Personally, unless the surface is really dirty I don't even clean it. It's never needed it and i've never once had any deadener come off. It's actually near impossible to get off. I use damplifier though.

lostdaytomorrow
03-07-2008, 01:41 AM
No need to clean the sheetmetal unless there was already adhesive on it that you took off or something. It will stick just fine.

Jacobman
03-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Cool so how long does it take to stick once heat is applied? Will i know for sure when its on?

iDesignBoxes
03-07-2008, 01:49 AM
I used a degreaser to clean the sheetmetal before applying deadening. After that, I would put deadener down in pieces, rather than the entire sheet, and then pressed firmly with a spoon, to ensure that the two would adhere correctly. I also used a hair drier to melt the glue as I pressed the deadener onto the sheetmetal with the spoon. After I put it on, I came back out the next day and tried pulling off the deadener, but it was pretty much impossible.

lostdaytomorrow
03-07-2008, 01:55 AM
No idea why you're using a heat gun. I applied mine with nothing and it's on there for good...

Only installed with a pair of scissors and my hands.

WrenchGuy
03-07-2008, 02:21 AM
If your good you would clean it. You can use oven cleaner cuz it dulls the gloss on the paint. Then use Acetone to finish the clean cuz it evaporates faster than Rubbing Alcohol and actually cleans.

The heat gun isn't necessary but makes it nice and pliable. I also use a rubber mallet and the roller.

You went that far might as well do it and not have to go back in for a redo. I do it this way but with even better cleaners that not just anyone can get..lol To each their own though.

zeuolaxxx
03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I clean my door and then add 4 layer inner and 3 out! My door is now heavy heavy! But sound is like night and day difference with it.

headless
03-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Clean with acetone to get large particles of dirt and dust off...apply...enjoy

krisfnbz
03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
K, im pretty stoked about it. I have heard that its like night and day difference with sound deadening and not.

Its like free-airing a sub vs using the sub in the box. If done correctly you will tell a difference. I can only tell you that doing it right the first time is key. Take your time with it, and remember that some areas dont require more as others. If you have the $$ and the time, **** do multiple layers.

My drivers generally are not good with mid-bass but I can DEF tell a difference from deadening and non deadening.:eek: