PDA

View Full Version : those smooth round sub enclosers...

DaviX
04-28-2003, 04:00 PM
how do you build these cool looking enclosures

i might have heard plexyglas what is that? can a ordinary hardworking man make one by himself? what does it take to make one like this?

Audio N00B
04-28-2003, 04:04 PM
I think you're talking about fiberglass but plexyglass can also be very cool looking...
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/glassing/
the one link I have bookmarked about it:D

Brock
04-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Audio N00B
I think you're talking about fiberglass but plexyglass can also be very cool looking...
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/glassing/
the one link I have bookmarked about it:D

thanks...that helped

DiB
04-28-2003, 07:19 PM
I'd assume that when you get into irregular box shapes like that you need calculus or some sort of high math to figure the volume. So...how "do" you, figure out the volume when you construct a box like that?

nswartley
04-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by DiB
I'd assume that when you get into irregular box shapes like that you need calculus or some sort of high math to figure the volume. So...how "do" you, figure out the volume when you construct a box like that?

estimation is the key :D

-nate

mgaidica
04-28-2003, 07:29 PM
just use something like foam peanut things u get with packages and just load the box up with those and stop when its full, then take out all of those and measurew them outside the box. Then you get more and more precise using corn curnels or something of that sort..

more_spl
04-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Heck, i'm sure anything that is small will work.. Popcorn kernels may be good. Then just measure in a container that has LITERS measure on it, then find a conversion that does Litres--->Ft^3..... easy

evo2k3
04-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by more_spl
Heck, i'm sure anything that is small will work.. Popcorn kernels may be good. Then just measure in a container that has LITERS measure on it, then find a conversion that does Litres--->Ft^3..... easy

its freaking fiberglass....its water proof, fill it with water!!!.....no need to convert to cubic feet...the imperial system ***** anyways, stick with si (metric).

mgaidica
04-29-2003, 06:31 PM
yeh, but water weighs a lot more than foam... :)

ramos
04-30-2003, 03:38 PM
You want to build a cool sub box. That is really unique. Try making a spherical (sp) sub enclosure. Just use a large ball like the crap rubber balls you can buy at the grocery store for a mold. Find one large enough for the volume you need. Then get to glassing :)

YodaPez
05-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by DiB
So...how "do" you, figure out the volume when you construct a box like that?

Yup, fill it with water. There are plenty of freeware conversion programs out there to convert gallons to cubic feet.

SasquatchBump
05-09-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ramos
You want to build a cool sub box. That is really unique. Try making a spherical (sp) sub enclosure. Just use a large ball like the crap rubber balls you can buy at the grocery store for a mold. Find one large enough for the volume you need. Then get to glassing :)

That would be AWSOME!!! Just be sure to have a flat surface on the bottom and a flat baffle.

mykeys
05-09-2003, 09:27 AM
I saw a pic of sphere like that about a year ago. He had three Concept 12's on it mounted inverted. I think it was a common chanber. but it was very cool.

ramos
05-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by SasquatchBump
That would be AWSOME!!! Just be sure to have a flat surface on the bottom and a flat baffle.

Mounting rings for the subs. And another on the bottom will make life so easy :)

BassRacer
05-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Are ya talkin about something like this

http://www.subthump.com/images/plex%20boxes/plexW7.jpg but a cylinder type

mgaidica
05-14-2003, 07:48 PM
naaaa.. fiber, not plexi.