PDA

View Full Version : Little Fiberglass Help!

xxBURT0Nxx
03-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Hey this is my first time attempting to work with fiberglass and it seems I have made a rookie mistake. I tore way to big of pieces of fiberglass and when applying them they made wierd folds which resulted in air bubbles. Now from what I have read I need to sand these air bubbles out before I apply the next layer...? What would be the best way to go about this? What grit sandpaper... sand by hand or with a machine? Any other techniques or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance:D:D

Random1010
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
i didnt...but then again the air bubbles are on the inside of the box. and i used pleennty of resin.

xxBURT0Nxx
03-06-2008, 05:52 PM
So as long as the air bubbles are on the inside of the enclosure and not the outside its not a big deal??

archie
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM
well if its a BIG crease it WILL affect the rigidity of the enclosure... one easy way to remedy the creases is to take a razor knife and cut the perimeter of it, then pull away what isnt attatched to the box by resin... the slight ridges that are left from cutting will cover just fine with the following layers of resin/mat... this is all assuming that you're not just resining the inside of a box?...

fbi90909
03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
get rid of the air bubbles. air bubbles can weaken the box. second don't use a lot of resin! resin is not what builds the strenght, the fiberglass is. you just want to use enough resin to get the FG wet. not slop it all over the place.
READ THIS!!!
http://fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=724&highlight=how+to+lay+fiberglass

sand with 36 grit sandpaper by hand.
after you sand down the air bubble, whipe off any dust or particles and start glassing again.

BUT READ THE POSTED LINK!!!, VERY VERY HELPFUL INFORMATION.

2critical
03-06-2008, 06:09 PM
x2 on reading at fiberglass forums, those guys will be able to help you out.