PDA

View Full Version : HELP... PG RSD 6.5 Comp. Question...

coastalbn
03-05-2008, 02:12 PM
I'll start off by saying I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some help with a tweeter problem. My problem involves distortion with the PG RSD 6.5 Comp. tweeters. I've got the components in the front of a 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, running passive on a JL A4300 (which has been re-rated at 500 watts in the new G-Series) in conjunction with a set of the PG RSD 6.5 coaxials in the rear. I'm running these off the factory radio (wanted to keep stock look) with an AudioControl LC6. I had it installed at a reputable local car audio shop. When I turn the volume up to about halfway, the tweeters are distorting. I'm just wondering what could be causing this and how it can be fixed??? The equalization of the factory head unit is still active and I've alleviated some of the problem by turning down the BASS, MID, and TREBLE controls on that, but it's still not exactly right. Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

UCF52
03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Is it on both tweeters? It is possible that the installer connected the tweeters to the bandpass channel on the crossover (although doubtful) and the mid bass to the high pass channel. I kind of doubt it, but I accidentally did the same when I installed my set - hooked up one tweet to the mid bass connection; same symptoms as you though... distortion at medium volume levels.

coastalbn
03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
UCF52, thanks for the reply. Just took it back to the shop and the head car audio guy adjusted everything from the LC6 to the amp gains and basically said that was all the volume I could get out of a factory head unit. It just seems, if my memory serves me correctly, that the last set-up I had (which was far inferior than what I have now) gave me more volume without distorting. I guess I can try and take the door panels off to check the possible problem you mentioned with the crossovers. Thanks a lot...

tcguy85
03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
see my other post in the thread you posted in the general forum...