PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood opinions

Andy C
03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Im looking for opinions on the kenwood KDC-X689 with the D-Mask+ feature. I think this HU was made in 2005 and I know previous D-Mask+ units had problems with the ribbon cable tearing. Was this a problem even with the newer D-Masks? I have heard from a few that the newere ones came out with better ribbons that would last longer. Any help with the D-Mask+ feature or the X689 would be helpfull. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15383

Nitewing911
03-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Several years ago I had the Kenwood KDC-x859, which featured the D-Mask that the model you're looking at has. I've also had a couple models that followed that featured the 3D Mask (not the same, but a large moving part nonetheless). I never had any issues with these models, though I never owned one longer than a year. I would sell it and move on to newer things. But I have a soft spot for kenwoods and I've never had major problems with any I've used, including a couple refurbs. Hope that helps.

MBrock4u
03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Thats a nice deck. I used to have one, no problems with that one. I just let my brother have it. I upraded last year to the X-990 WOW! Awesome dexk. Excelon's are some great decks.

rollerdj
03-07-2008, 10:13 PM
every kenwood HU i've owned was the mask style. including the very first one that flipped all the way around. all of them have had some kinda problem up until i got my current HU. i've had if for.... oh, 3 years i think. i got it as soon as they came out. i havn't had a single problem with it yet. so i think they finally got something right. :D