PDA

View Full Version : i think i have the design i'm gonna go w/...

05F150SuperCrew
03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
its 2.5ft^3 with the subs disp taken out... its tuned to 30 hz... port is 2.5" x 12". it will be a down firing box, inbetween my front two seats, all the way back to my back seat. the port will be in the back...

any thing you guys think i can do to make it better? i appreciate the input... i'm prolly gonna start it soon... its still pretty cold and i don't have heat in the garage...

05F150SuperCrew
04-11-2008, 10:50 AM
thinkin about changin it up a lil bit... gonna build it when it stays nice out for a bit. i'm a little worried because i haven't seen something like this before... its 2.82 ft3 after all displacement and tuned to 25hz. i'm tuning it low because i can always cut the port down if i don't like it...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26503354&stc=1&d=1207925324

mdillon
04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
why do you want the exposed port?

05F150SuperCrew
04-11-2008, 12:24 PM
i don't necessarily want it exposed, but i can't figure out how to get the port length and area i want and fit it all between the seats... that's why i'm throwin it on here... if u have an idea, it'd be greatly appreciated.

05F150SuperCrew
04-11-2008, 12:25 PM
and that design encorperates a handy arm rest... and the first one would be above the level of the rear seat...

jdawg
04-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I would make kinda like a false space inside it to accomandate some cup holders and **** like that, looks fun

05F150SuperCrew
04-11-2008, 12:44 PM
there should be just enough room in the front of it for me to pull out my factory cup holders and fit my mid woofers...

jdawg
04-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I meant for the people in the back

05F150SuperCrew
04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
they have cup holders on their car seats... i was thinkin about how i could work in the factory cup holders that used to be under the center seat... don't think its gonna happen though... i'd like to find another of the pass side rear seats and run the box all the way to the rear wall... but its not in the budget for this build.

ThatChevyGuy
04-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't adivise a tune under 29 hz for every day driving.

05F150SuperCrew
04-11-2008, 03:12 PM
cool... i thought i might be tuning it a lil low... but on the second design, its pretty easy to cut the port back. so i'm gonna test it out at 25 but just to see what it sounds like... it'll probably end up higher.

05F150SuperCrew
06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
ok, just made a cut sheet for it... hopefully startin it really soon.

http://a259.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/40/l_e9c0fd2d77f76ef8f34170fbd0d3c3f2.jpg

http://img2.putfile.com/main/6/15515073693.jpg

http://img2.putfile.com/main/6/15515073660.jpg

should be interesting... still not sure how i'm gonna finish it though... all i have to do is set up the table saw and get the mdf and glue. got the plexi already and finally got the last bit of wire needed.

edit.... btw, i'm takin your guys advice. this one is 3.18ft3 (after subs) tuned to 32Hz

05F150SuperCrew
06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
that thing in the middle looks like flaps will be hanging into your port?

I would think thats a no-no?

unless im seeing it wrong.

what thing?

05F150SuperCrew
06-04-2008, 06:44 PM
this help?

http://img2.putfile.com/main/6/15518333355.jpg

BrianChia
06-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I think I would go with the first design. The port will be less obstructed and also it will be harder for stuff to fall into the port accidentally. If you need the raised armrest area just build that separately, but I would keep the port on the bottom.

05F150SuperCrew
06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
the only prob with the first design is that it'll stick up about 6" above the rear seat... what is obstructing the port? is it that the subs are all the way in front?

Mr Cabinetry
06-05-2008, 11:01 AM
The first design imo blows because you have the port firing directly into the floor, unless the bottom of the enclosure is going to be raised off the floor to a point that it won't choke the port.

I like the second design, though I would make some design changes to it.

Make the bottom of the enclosure even to allow the bass response of the subwoofers propagate in all directions as much as possible.

Fire the port up or up at that angle on the back, but, sure as He!! don't fire it into the floor.

05F150SuperCrew
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
that's kinda what i was figuring... if i did the first one, the whole box would be about 4" off the floor... but it'd stick up past the seat quite a bit... with the last design i was actually tryin to get as much volume out of it as possible... i guess i could try and work something out with it to make it even... i can actually bring the port foward a bit, the way it is now it'd be up to the back of the front seats... which was a problem i needed to look at anyway. thanks for the input... i'll mess around with it some more.

Mr Cabinetry
06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Here's a thought to chew on. Make the back of enclosure extend a few inches beyond the seats, take the height to the point of the height of the top of the dash.

Now, you come back forward and inch or two past the seat front, angle that front to the angle of the seat, go back down top the top of the enclosure , then come straight forward to the front of the enclosure.

Something like this:
http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/3/0/9/1/0/consoleex.JPG

Use the space in front to port section to make arm rest with lid for some storage or whatever.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

05F150SuperCrew
06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
i hear ya... problem is, the box goes all the way back to the back seat... and almost all the way to my dash. i have 2 kids in carseats in the back which is why i wanted the port foward or down... maybe i could tighten it up and go up in between the seats like that... you think i should fire the subs up? i have one in right now firing up... wanted to fire them down because i'm a smoker and they tend to get kind of dirty...

Mr Cabinetry
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
i hear ya... problem is, the box goes all the way back to the back seat... and almost all the way to my dash. i have 2 kids in carseats in the back which is why i wanted the port foward or down... maybe i could tighten it up and go up in between the seats like that... you think i should fire the subs up? i have one in right now firing up... wanted to fire them down because i'm a smoker and they tend to get kind of dirty...

I was just using that as a reference to give ya idea where my head was at in the design.

There's all sorts of ways this design can be worked, it purely a matter of space and design for the function to do the job.

Based on the info you posted as to the enclosure design relative to the parts sizes, I figured the enclosure was 13 1/2" w between the seats and the 55 1/2", I figured you were stopping at some point at the front and going back in depth as far as you could take.

I didn't know what subs you were using per the design to make or form any other evaluations as to how the design could be changed to offer further possibilities.

So, basically, If we start from the beginning and work are way from there, I think we can come up with something and the rest is a matter of details need or are wanted as part of that design.

Got no problem with helping you out, just need to know where to go from here to offer suggestions for possible designs that would work to your liking.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

05F150SuperCrew
06-05-2008, 10:34 PM
u have no idea how much i appreciate it... you have to be the most helpful person i've ever met on a forum... thanks a lot. i'm gonna pull the box that's in there now out and take some measurements again. i can't find the original measurements i took and wanna make sure i'm workin off the right stuff.

the subs are audiobahn aw1006t's run off a Hifonics Brutus BXi 1606D... i know nobody likes my subs and they do tend to get a lil sloppy in the lower range, but they seem to like double bass... i'm runnin one now and its a lil sloppy with the kick drum, but i think its because its in a poorly built box. i had it in a sealed box when i tested it, and it was a lot cleaner, but i couldn't get much volume out of it and it was gettin pretty warm... ok, enough defending the subs i'm not even sure i'm gonna like, they're what i have, so...

i'm gonna take the measurements again, and draw some stuff up. you actually gave me quite a few ideas... i really appreciate it. i'm gonna work on some stuff tomorrow at work (hopefully) and i'll get back here tomorrow night. thanks again.

in case you don't know the subs... Flame Q's (http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06/pages/woofers.html)

Mr Cabinetry
06-06-2008, 11:38 AM
u have no idea how much i appreciate it... you have to be the most helpful person i've ever met on a forum... thanks a lot. i'm gonna pull the box that's in there now out and take some measurements again. i can't find the original measurements i took and wanna make sure i'm workin off the right stuff.

the subs are audiobahn aw1006t's run off a Hifonics Brutus BXi 1606D... i know nobody likes my subs and they do tend to get a lil sloppy in the lower range, but they seem to like double bass... i'm runnin one now and its a lil sloppy with the kick drum, but i think its because its in a poorly built box. i had it in a sealed box when i tested it, and it was a lot cleaner, but i couldn't get much volume out of it and it was gettin pretty warm... ok, enough defending the subs i'm not even sure i'm gonna like, they're what i have, so...

i'm gonna take the measurements again, and draw some stuff up. you actually gave me quite a few ideas... i really appreciate it. i'm gonna work on some stuff tomorrow at work (hopefully) and i'll get back here tomorrow night. thanks again.

in case you don't know the subs... Flame Q's (http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06/pages/woofers.html)

Opinions aside, there your subs, that's what ya have to work with and you want to use. Could you get better subs, sure, but that's up to you. Never heard Audiobahns, so, I can't make any judgements because I heard alot of other subs and cannot make a comparison.

05F150SuperCrew
06-06-2008, 04:59 PM
http://img2.putfile.com/main/6/15716582715.jpg

05F150SuperCrew
06-12-2008, 03:12 PM
ok, took some measurements... been busier than i thought i would... gonna work up a design this weekend... any ideas appreciated. thanks.

http://img2.putfile.com/main/6/16321152159.jpg

matte
06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
i live about 15 mins from bergen .. pm me if you need help or anything

05F150SuperCrew
06-12-2008, 03:36 PM
i live about 15 mins from bergen .. pm me if you need help or anything

sweet... thanks man... it seems that what's givin me the most trouble is actually designing it... i'm not worried about building it, i'm just havin trouble puttin togeather a design that will work.