PDA

View Full Version : Square One, please help.

mswartz
03-01-2008, 05:00 PM
I received a set of speakers and an amp from my uncle, plus misc. cables. I would like to hook these up in my car but I need to build a box for the speakers. I've been told I should make a ported box, but I don't know the specifications for my set of speakers. If anyone feels interested in helping me out, here are some details:

What I drive --
2002 Toyota Corolla CE

The speakers (2) --
Pioneer
TS-W251C
300W (max. music power / 120w nom. power)
4 ohm, impedance, strontium magnet, 930g (32.9oz)
"Sealed enclosure type subwoofer"

Amp (1) --
Bazooka
CSA150.1
2 ohm, stable, 250 watts max power

CD player --
In the process of acquiring this from a friend, but I don't see this being an issue.

If I'm not mistaken, I have monster speaker cable as well. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

BEAVER.989
03-01-2008, 05:59 PM
"Sealed enclosure type subwoofer"

Why do you want to port them?

mswartz
03-01-2008, 09:41 PM
That was just what was written on the speakers themselves.
This is what I'm working with (cell phone quality pictures):
http://xs225.xs.to/xs225/08090/noname998.jpg
http://xs225.xs.to/xs225/08090/noname2660.jpg
http://xs225.xs.to/xs225/08090/noname3230.jpg

Trixter
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
so again...if it says "sealed enclosure subwoofer" why do you wnat to port them??

mswartz
03-07-2008, 12:14 AM
I have to build a box for these things so I can stick them in my car, and I was told that a ported box was the best option. Can we please stop asking questions about my motive and lend some help instead? I don't mean to sound rude but if my logic is wrong then point me in the right direction instead of questioning it.

Trixter
03-07-2008, 01:21 PM
a port vs. seald box is sub dependant....just because someone says you sould go ported in a car because it's the best may not be true for your situation. also true that even if a sub is said to perform best in a sealed enclosure by the mfg., does not necessarly mean you MUST use it sealed....however, they made the thing and know it best.

if you want to port them try about a 2cu' box ported with 26.25sq" of port (that would be 10.5 x 2.5...assuming your box has an internal heighth of 10.5, external of 12). make the port 29.75" long...this will tune you to 32Hz. if you need me to draw something up and get you a cut sheet...lmk...

mswartz
03-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty much oblivious as to where to even start. I don't know what kinds of materials to use for the box, what measurements to cut, or anything else important. All I know is that I have these two subs, an amp, and some wiring. I originally stated ported because it's what I heard from friends that sound the best, but I came on here to find out exactly what I should do.
So what I'm getting here is that I should use a sealed box (based on what the subs say on them, which I didn't really know meant anything before now heh). If you want to draw a sketch/measurements/cut sheet that would be amazing. Thanks!

EDIT:
I also don't know if I should make two boxes for them, or put them both in one box, and how that would effect the sound quality or if it would at all.