PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Profi Vanadium Kick

danz24
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Right now I have 220w going through through each midbass speaker. I have 2 layers ofsound deading, a deflex pad behind it, and its mounted on a wood adapter firmly in my door.

My concern is that at low-medium volumes I can hear the midbass but it the impact is not quite there. I have a pioneer 880prs and 50volume is about the loudest I would turn it up for, but the midbass is only prominent at 40-50 volume. Do I need more power for this speaker, or is it normal to have just very little midbass unless I really crank it up. In some cases, STOCK speakers have more bass impact at a lower volume than my rainbows...:crap:

thanks

filtor1
02-28-2008, 01:52 PM
What your saying is that when you turn the volume up, the mids have more out put. That should happen. If you want more midbass at lower volumes, re-tune. I have the same HU, it has a ton of goodies to help in that area. :)

danz24
02-28-2008, 02:16 PM
well ya i raise the 80 hz and 120 hz but then I can't put the system as loud as I want it be due to the limitations of the driver. Actually it a bit hard to recognize distortion, especially with my doors shaking and all, its also more of like im afraid to put it any higher because its so powerful.

I guess the best way to describe it is if it were to be put in a graph form, the loudness would be an exponential curve, rather than a linear curve..

filtor1
02-28-2008, 07:51 PM
well ya i raise the 80 hz and 120 hz but then I can't put the system as loud as I want it be due to the limitations of the driver. Actually it a bit hard to recognize distortion, especially with my doors shaking and all, its also more of like im afraid to put it any higher because its so powerful.

I guess the best way to describe it is if it were to be put in a graph form, the loudness would be an exponential curve, rather than a linear curve..

I see. It could be a phasing issue. Amp issue. Possibly even a HU issue. I have installed a couple of the Pro Van set and didn't have this issue. I would pick it apart though, start with small things like wiring (phase) and work your way back through the system. Those mids will handle that power w/o issue and should play to 60Hz at volume. That is where I set the one's I did at. Both had roughly 200watts/door. After you go through all the "hardware", spend some more time at the HU if that doesn't yeild the results you want.

I know it is a PITA but check everything. This is a weird problem. :)

danz24
02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
hmm I'll try the reversing the phase, but honestly, I have not been able to tell a difference in phase, ever.
The amp is a phoenix gold xenon 200.2 btw, and I dont see how the hardware of HU and Amp could be an issue, or what to do about it.

so ya I dunno either.. im out of ideas

filtor1
02-28-2008, 11:25 PM
That is why I suggested to start with all the things you can control or adjust before trying to replace components. Do you know someone with a different amp that you could swap out and see if it is something in the amp.

danz24
02-28-2008, 11:44 PM
ya i'll make more adjustments, I personally dont know anyone locally whois into audio.. Its just me here.
Im gonna put my ampgain higher so its at 4v, because my hU is 4v. makes sense? no? o wells...

kmanian
02-28-2008, 11:55 PM
hmm I'll try the reversing the phase, but honestly, I have not been able to tell a difference in phase, ever.
The amp is a phoenix gold xenon 200.2 btw, and I dont see how the hardware of HU and Amp could be an issue, or what to do about it.

so ya I dunno either.. im out of ideas

when you reverse the phase, turn off your subs, so you can isolate the midbass, you should defiantely hear a difference between 0 and 180 degrees out. One of the reasons you may not hear a difference also is that they are x-over to high. the higher the x-over point the harder it is to tell phase, and the impact of being out of phase.

filtor1
02-29-2008, 09:27 AM
one more thing I thought of last night. Just a thought though. Try setting your amps where the volume on your HU is different. Say you are currently at "max" volume at 50. Try setting back your gains a bit or moving them up for a different volume "max." There may be an issue with V output at that cetain volume on the HU. I have mine set for vol.54. Other than a phase issue, I really can't think of anything else.

3.5Max6spd
02-29-2008, 10:01 AM
possibilities...

1) Need to better play with Level matching, maybe you have a void or cancellations in your vehicle in that range.

2) Your expectations are too high for your install. Thats plenty of power for that speaker thermally, any more wont quite get you anywhere but maybe a damaged driver if you dont use it properly. Headroom is nice, but its purpose is to deliver 'dynamics' of the recordings/source.
You HU volume dial dictates how loud you play. If properly level matched your system should increase in the bandwidth in a 'LINEAR' fashion as you increase voltage/volume on the source.
Of course your bass will be cranking at higher volumes.

While you may not think its loud it could very show on an RTA that it is in those frequencies. Of course stock speakers 'seem' louder or fuller' as they put out higher levels of distortion and had resonance(prior to deadning) aid in their SPL. A more refined driver wont necessarily sound this way, but rather deliver the finite details and precision stock cannot offer.

danz24
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
yup so I just finished tuning my setting. Let me tell you, listening to your sound system in a quiet garage is a WORLD of a difference when I hear it with my car running (I have a loud exhaust btw.) Sounds sooo much better :) It actually heard the mids better now.

Anyway I turned the gain up which did help, but also noticed that setting the HPF to 63hz helps out a bit. Is it possible to set it to 63hz 18db even though it is meant for 80hz 12db??

Also I adjust my gains with my ear, how exactly can I tell if its distorting? From my mids? or the vocals? Its not so easy to tell distortion from this speaker its so dam clear lol.

And what songs do you use when adjusting gains by ear.?

thanks for the help.