PDA

View Full Version : boxes tuned differently...

05F150SuperCrew
02-26-2008, 10:53 PM
ok, so i know that a smaller volume box tuned low will give good transient response & more volume will do just that... louder... question is, i have 2 10" audiobahn flame q's and only have room to make a decent size box for one of them. i was thinkin about makin 2 seperate boxes for them... one would be 0.8ft^3 and tuned to 30hz and the other box 2.5ft^3 tuned to 40hz. now, this is my first "real" build, but i want good response and a lil boom to go with it. and by "lil", i mean just that. should i make both boxes the same? due to where the subs have to go is why i can't just split the volume and make both boxes bigger. and of course, i want good response... i listen to mostly rock, so lots of double bass. and in the same respect, my friend likes to throw in hoochie mama every time he gets in my truck (i'm the only one of my friends w/ any type of aftermarket system)... as i'm sure u can tell by now, i'm a little lost in this... so help would be greatly appreciated.

ps... theyre bein powered by a hifonics brutus 1606d

redrider13
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
make the boxes the same...

05F150SuperCrew
02-26-2008, 10:57 PM
will i get cancelation or something?

loudcartunez
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
honestly bro i would get some different subs get a good 10'' and u will be fine

cshaw
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
if you want some good response get a better woofer. i listen to mostly rock as well, my rl-p 15 liked a big sealed box or a large low tuned box. both sounded great, just one had more output than the other. if your stuck on the a bombs, just use one woofer in a good box. and please dont tune to 40hz try 28-32.

redrider13
02-26-2008, 11:01 PM
they're going to sound different, it won't be one note. I can't really explain too much cuz I don't know the science but I know it will sound different.

and you should get a "lil" boom from almost any sub. A "lil" boom to me is hearing the sub, a boom, is rattling my car, and holy ***** thats loud is a real setup.

05F150SuperCrew
02-26-2008, 11:19 PM
if you want some good response get a better woofer. i listen to mostly rock as well, my rl-p 15 liked a big sealed box or a large low tuned box. both sounded great, just one had more output than the other. if your stuck on the a bombs, just use one woofer in a good box. and please dont tune to 40hz try 28-32.

i hear ya, but i have these... i'm slowly buying better components, but not ready to get a sub yet... i will... the only reason i was thinkin 40hz is bc that's what audiobahn reccomends... so i'll make both boxes the same and tune them low... i've already started saving for a better sub... so...

cshaw
02-26-2008, 11:23 PM
how much room do you have in cubes and whats the rec. size for ported?? 1 woofer in an ideal box will be better than 2 in not so ideal boxes

05F150SuperCrew
02-27-2008, 12:03 AM
ok, they're goin where the center seat used to be... so they can't be further than 24" back... i need to put an arm rest in so my kids don't climb over and step on them or something. i was thinkin about facing them down, but my inertia switch for my airbags is right there and when i had the 1 faced down, my air bag light used to come on when i turned it up... kinda bugged me out a little. the box for the first 2' can't be more than 15" tall then 20" after that where the arm rest would be... i was thinking i could take up the leg room for the middle seat in the back bc there's just a car seat there and her feet don't pass the seat anyway. so... no wider than 13.5", no taller than 15" (except for a foot or so where the arm rest would be) and no longer than about 4'... i'll get a more accurate measurement on the length, but the rest are pretty dead on...

within those dimensions, i could make both in one box, seperate them... whatever. i was just wonderin what would happen if i tuned them differently. i'm prolly just gonna put them in about 1.5' 3 seperate chambers and tune them to around 30hz... although, it might be easier to put them both in a 3'^3 box and do one big port... idk how accurate it is, but i've been checkin out the calculators here... clicky (http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31) audiobahn reccomends the box tuned to 39-40 hz and the ports they reccommend just seem way too small to me. i think i'm gonna do 1 box, 3'^3 with a port of 3"x12"

cshaw
02-27-2008, 12:35 AM
both in one box sounds cool. check out the re box calc. at http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

that port would be just about right. let us know how it turns out!

05F150SuperCrew
02-27-2008, 09:17 AM
cool, cool... i was reading a thread yesterday that said the re calculator was off... is this right? (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295117)

cshaw
02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
ive heard it was off in tuning, never cutouts, i used it last week and my box came out great, no problems. but using that formula is a lot more fun imo.

05F150SuperCrew
02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
cool... i might start it tomorrow night, but i'm not sure... i'll post pics as i make it... thanks.