PDA

View Full Version : sealed prefabs are not horrible......

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 04:52 PM
When talking with or trying to help some people out, most all that have to do with boxes the person will tell me "i dont want to buy a prefab sealed box because they ****. Everyone says prefabs ****." I hate that people on the forum either dont read or give off false information.

A sealed prefab box that meets volume requirements and is made out of 3/4" MDF is just as good in most cases as bj's boxes or anyone else who makes sealed boxes. A sealed box needs to be sturdy, meet volume specs, and be sealed. If all three of these are in place then you have yourself a nice box. Sometimes you can find a nice sealed prefab for a lot cheaper than it is to pay someone to build you one.

Ported prefab boxes on the other hand do **** in most cases. They are either way too small or tuned way too high. I do no recommend buying a prefab ported box at all.

I just hope some people read this and figure out that not ALL prefab boxes ****. Get that statement out of your head because it might save some people some money.

Scoobydoo
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
thanks for your words of wisdom, although i learned nothing here

jco1385
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
the thing is that most people buying pre fabs dont look into speaker specs at all.

Flipx99
02-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I bought a pre-fab from PE for my HT and it's very nice....and was cheaper than a sheet of mdf.

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
in most stiuations prefabs ****

Scoobydoo
02-26-2008, 04:57 PM
i am thinking about buying a prefab for my new sub to hold me over until i can get one built, it will be sealed

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
thanks for your words of wisdom, although i learned nothing here

well then.... smart kind sir, this was not for you unless you are the one going around saying all prefabs ****. This was only because i talk to SOOO many people who have the idea that all prefab boxes **** so they want to go spend over $150 to get someone else to make a box when they can get the same **** thing for $40 on ebay or somewhere else.

You dont have to learn anything. I couldn't careless what you learn man, why do you post to tell me you dont learn anything? That seems pretty pointless dont you think? I didnt learn anything from your post either... are we even?

goonandbuck
02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
When talking with or trying to help some people out, most all that have to do with boxes the person will tell me "i dont want to buy a prefab sealed box because they ****. Everyone says prefabs ****." I hate that people on the forum either dont read or give off false information.

A sealed prefab box that meets volume requirements and is made out of 3/4" MDF is just as good in most cases as bj's boxes or anyone else who makes sealed boxes. A sealed box needs to be sturdy, meet volume specs, and be sealed. If all three of these are in place then you have yourself a nice box. Sometimes you can find a nice sealed prefab for a lot cheaper than it is to pay someone to build you one.

Ported prefab boxes on the other hand do **** in most cases. They are either way too small or tuned way too high. I do no recommend buying a prefab ported box at all.

I just hope some people read this and figure out that not ALL prefab boxes ****. Get that statement out of your head because it might save some people some money.

you contradicted yourself though....you said if a sealed pre-fab is the right volume, sealed and sturdy than its jsut as good. why cant the same be said for pre-fab ported? if its the right volume, right frequency, and sturdy?

97gp
Prefabs ****.

budahbuddy803
in most stiuations prefabs ****

it is this kind of statement that makes people think that All ****. The only time they **** is when the company that makes them doesnt post specs on the box such as internal volume and tuning frequency. If both are posted and it meets requirements then what is wrong with it?

stuckinok
well then.... smart kind sir, this was not for you unless you are the one going around saying all prefabs ****. This was only because i talk to SOOO many people who have the idea that all prefab boxes **** so they want to go spend over $150 to get someone else to make a box when they can get the same **** thing for $40 on ebay or somewhere else.

You dont have to learn anything. I couldn't careless what you learn man, why do you post to tell me you dont learn anything? That seems pretty pointless dont you think? I didnt learn anything from your post either... are we even?

well on here most of the people that say prefabs **** build thier own boxes. yea its cheap on egay but you can build it yourself for less and it will be to the subs specs

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 05:00 PM
it is this kind of statement that makes people think that All ****. The only time they **** is when the company that makes them doesnt post specs on the box such as internal volume and tuning frequency. If both are posted and it meets requirements then what is wrong with it?

thats why i said most not all... go buy your prefab and STFU

Scoobydoo
02-26-2008, 05:00 PM

butthurt much?

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 05:01 PM
you contradicted yourself though....you said if a sealed pre-fab is the right volume, sealed and sturdy than its jsut as good. why cant the same be said for pre-fab ported? if its the right volume, right frequency, and sturdy?

no i didnt if you read correctly i say most prefabs dont list specs and are either too small or tuned too high... If it meets requirments then it is perfect unless you find one cheaper or you can build one yourself.

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 05:03 PM
haha you guys ****. I can build a box myself, this was to try to clear up some misleading information that some inexperienced forum members tell me they hear from YOU GUYS. I have no need for any help when it comes to boxes anymore. I just hate that this forum will give off misleading information making people spend a lot of money that doesnt need to be spent. Take it or leave it.

goonandbuck
02-26-2008, 05:03 PM

no you said this

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
haha you guys ****. I can build a box myself, this was to try to clear up some misleading information that some inexperienced forum members tell me they hear from YOU GUYS. I have no need for any help when it comes to boxes anymore. I just hate that this forum will give off misleading information making people spend a lot of money that doesnt need to be spent. Take it or leave it.

Prefabs still ****....

Flipx99
02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
this convo is ghey

Scoobydoo
02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
i choose leave it

Flipx99
02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Prefabs still ****....

Not always. The one from PE was $22, free shipping, and worked well for the subs I used. I put a 200 lb TV on it temporarily with no issue.

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 05:07 PM
thats why i said most not all... go buy your prefab and STFU

well i understand that part the you said most, but when you say that and are not specific its obvious to me that people are taking it the wrong way. I have helped atleaste 4 members on here and all said no matter what prefabs ****. This is not the case. If you are lucky enough to have the tools, time, and space to make your own then more power to you. I am one of those people. Some people live in places where tools, space, and time do not come as easily.... Why are you so hostile. I didnt say anything negative to you at all except your comment will confuse some people. Where did i say i was going to buy a prefab? WHY IN THE FVCK IS EVERYONE SO **** STUBBORN AND THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING?

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Not always. The one from PE was $22, free shipping, and worked well for the subs I used. I put a 200 lb TV on it temporarily with no issue.

I was just saying that to **** off the OP....lol

Scoobydoo
LOL we made the simplest thread so complicated and the OP fell for it, this place rocks!

budahbuddy803
no you said this

oh i am sorry i will go edit. That isnt what i meant to say.

MikeyB
Ill stick to the 20 dollar sheet of MDF

97gp
02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
I built a prefab box and its sweet.:fyi:

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
LOL we made the simplest thread so complicated and the OP fell for it, this place rocks!

You are 100% right. Why cant threads be informative instead of a bunch of lies, sarcasm, and dueshe bag *** comments? You kind of people enjoy making other frusterated with dumb *** comments and stupid statements? I thought the forum was suppose to be a place to learn and what not, not a place for stupid kids to get on here and fill the place with *** and ****.

stuckinok
well i understand that part the you said most, but when you say that and are not specific its obvious to me that people are taking it the wrong way. I have helped atleaste 4 members on here and all said no matter what prefabs ****. This is not the case. If you are lucky enough to have the tools, time, and space to make your own then more power to you. I am one of those people. Some people live in places where tools, space, and time do not come as easily.... Why are you so hostile. I didnt say anything negative to you at all except your comment will confuse some people. Where did i say i was going to buy a prefab? WHY IN THE FVCK IS EVERYONE SO **** STUBBORN AND THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING?

I have a large e-***** and this is ca.com. Did you really think that you can post this kind of thread and not get thrown under a bus? Iam mean come on

budahbuddy803
I built a prefab box and its sweet.:fyi:

haha is that possible? Prefab stands for prefabricated. how in the world do you build a prefabricated box?

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Ill stick to the 20 dollar a sheet of MDF

fo rizzle

Johnny Drama
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I run a prefab box.

Scoobydoo
02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
come on man, if a person doesnt realize that 3cuft sealed is 3cuft sealed no matter how much you pay they shouldnt be living

the only difference is going to be the amount of bracing in the box and the build quality

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 05:12 PM

I have a large e-***** and this is ca.com. Did you really think that you can post this kind of thread and not get thrown under a bus? Iam mean come on

haha it would have been better if you knew how to quote correctly, and i think all people that will come out and say they have a large e-***** should be banned or placed in a "big epenis" category so they can yell and jumble up their own posts and stuff. Sound like a good idea?

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=stuckinok;4280981]

haha it would have been better if you knew how to quote correctly, and i think all people that will come out and say they have a large e-***** should be banned or placed in a "big epenis" category so they can yell and jumble up their own posts and stuff. Sound like a good idea?

well then go hane teh *** with your pre fab

njaykaplan
Audioenhancers, SubZone, Sub Zero boxes, RT/Obcon, who else does prefabs that if you match up nicely, can get very nice results. I have a Audio Enhancers jug box with a huge port, and its tuned way too high for daily, but if you do your research you can get a very nice box.. but honestly the best ones will be around the same price as having a custom built one on here

97gp
haha is that possible? Prefab stands for prefabricated. how in the world do you build a prefabricated box?

Noob, you dont even know how to build a prefab box.

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
come on man, if a person doesnt realize that 3cuft sealed is 3cuft sealed no matter how much you pay they shouldnt be living

the only difference is going to be the amount of bracing in the box and the build quality

well that is what i thought, but it took some convincing for most of them. Instead of "OMG you dont know something? you are stupid and deserve to die." I tend to be a lot more mature and try to help people rather than bash them. This forum also lacks a lot of maturity. hahaha the best part is i am 17 and seem to act a lot better than most of you older cats thinking yoll are the "Gods" of the forum.

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
well that is what i thought, but it took some convincing for most of them. Instead of "OMG you dont know something? you are stupid and deserve to die." I tend to be a lot more mature and try to help people rather than bash them. This forum also lacks a lot of maturity. hahaha the best part is i am 17 and seem to act a lot better than most of you older cats thinking yoll are the "Gods" of the forum.

well then leave......

This is the internet get over it.

Scoobydoo
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
however i would think any sub with an xmax over 25mm running off 2k+ watts is gonna rip any sealed prefab apart after a little while, but never tried it myself

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 05:19 PM
haha thats the mature way to handle things. Just walk away? Ooops i had a baby i will jsut leave it. I bet you were abandoned as a child. haha w/e it is the internet i just wish people on this particular internet site werent stupid and had a little sense to them! That will never happen, not even from the older crowd. What a **** shame.

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 05:21 PM
i am done guys, you are too immature for me. You won the battle. I will leave this thread alone. Keep posted the immature things and helping all these people out! you guys rock! keep up the good work!

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
i am done guys, you are too immature for me. You won the battle. I will leave this thread alone. Keep posted the immature things and helping all these people out! you guys rock! keep up the good work!

cool man i hope your mommy and daddy buy you more prefabs in the future

AVSTANG02
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Where I am from a prefab costs $150 and the custom built joe blow box costs $40

so stfu.

stuckinok
02-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Where I am from a prefab costs $150 and the custom built joe blow box costs $40

so stfu.

same around here man 2 12s prefab is between 150-179 :eek:

bjfish11
I didnt read but a few posts in this thread. All Im going to say, is to be able to sell as ridiculously cheap as they do, they have to sacrifice something to be profiting off of it. And unfortunately, build quality is what gets cut. I had a shop come to me looking for me to take the places of their prefabs because carpet was peeling off just sitting out in the store. He also said there was areas that were easy to see werent even completely sealed, and no wood glue appeared to be used. Just an FYI.

MikeyB
IMO build quality is everything when picking an enclosure

Immacomputer
02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Every sealed prefab enclosure I've dealt with has horrible joining methods for the seams. Using a high powered driver(s) can seriously destroy a cheap enclosure. I've seen sealed prefab enclosures destroyed by subs and it is always at the joints. One I saw didn't use any glue and just a few brad nails per side. Another one just had some silicone on the end grain connected in the little slot to keep the wood in place. That is NOT the way to build an enclosure.

There is a little more to it than just airspace, 3/4" MDF, and it being sealed.

I also didn't read this thread so if stuff like this has already been posted, I don't really give a rat's ***.

jco1385
02-26-2008, 06:05 PM
my buddy has a single 12" xplod (1200w max it says...) and the prefab was flappin and ****. made the sony sound 5x as bad as normal.

Ignatowski
02-26-2008, 06:05 PM
sealed is sealed,,,,,as long as they dont leak they are fine

Immacomputer
02-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Haha, so I decided to read over parts of this thread for fun and this really cracked me up.

WHY IN THE FVCK IS EVERYONE SO **** STUBBORN AND THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING?

You say this and you also say this:

I have no need for any help when it comes to boxes anymore.

Pretty hypocritical. It's also ironic that you appear to be exactly what you hate. Good stuff.

budahbuddy803
02-26-2008, 08:14 PM
sorry guys. I dont know why i let that **** get to me. BJ is right, maybe those boxes do ****. i let **** get to me and acted a fool just like you guys do.

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
02-26-2008, 11:52 PM
What is wrong with prefabs for beginners who do not have the time or ability to build their own? I was able to get an sealed Probox for half of what it would cost to have one built. It matches my subs specs, seems put together well, and for extra security I spent $5 and a few minutes to reseal the inside for safe measure. For a beginner, it will do as good as a custom box, but allow me to invest more money in a sub since I was on a budget. Yes, for those with the knowledge and time to build boxes, prefabs are not good. For those like me, it is a great way to go. When I see a box on the web for 20 bucks shipped, obviously something isnt right. However, there are some prefab enclosures that are built very well. Most of the people who buy prefabs are just using it in their daily driver, not competitors. Prefabs are excellent for their intended use: giving those like me a decent box at low cost. Yes, there might be a db or two difference, or maybe a slight difference in sound, but someone new will not notice the difference. Said my peice, explained my experience, all I can do.