PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 7998 self service question

Tekjive
02-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey all, just got an Alpine 7998, looks new, not 1 scratch. But I noticed slight grinding noise on bottom left side when adjusting angle and bottom right side when head retracts. Almost like it's trying to skip a few gear teeth. The alignment looks good but could it be off? Is that why is skips teeth at different times? Can new grease fix this? Has anyone ever came across this with their 7998? That is really the only problem and I want it the head to eject/retract like glass. Any help would be great.

Also it's not slow or anything like motor is dying, fully functional at all angles, cd load/eject, head eject/retract. Just sounds like skipping teeth at full angle / full retract.

frzninvt
02-26-2008, 07:42 AM
United Radio Alpine's 5 Star Service Center is right in Syracuse, NY and they will go through and fix, test, and grease that unit for $85 flat rate which is certainly worth it because it is better than any of Alpine's current offerings. You get a 90 day warranty to boot. I had mine done about a year and a half ago even though it was working fine.

The gears and mechanism are delicate so it takes electro-mechanical repair skills and not left to some joe off the street to get it right. If you feel ballsy order the parts you think you need from www.pacparts.com and try the fix yourself.

Tekjive
02-26-2008, 11:53 PM
All I needed to know, tyvm.