PDA

View Full Version : i got ma subs, and i need help with box

rockmo
02-25-2008, 07:10 PM
i just got some ma audio subs and the book recomends 2cuft@40hz. is this ok? i was lookin at some box plans on here and they all seem to be down around 32 to 35 hz. so my question is, i will be goin to a few local sound off days for some spl and want these to really get with it. is there anyone here that can tell me what i should do? go with factory recomendations or is there somethin better?

zierbox
02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Just a note; All you guys wanting enclosure designed / built or what ever
I keep seeing all these air space or volume request with speaker size/ tuning frequencies and so-on
It is very important to know more information
like the type of vehicle and more
The environment (Vehicle) will seriously effect “ALL” these factors
An Experienced Subwoofer Enclosure Designer (not just builder)
Needs to account for All the variables

True available space
Locations and surroundings for new enclosure
Distance to the Listeners
The Acoustical Characteristics of the Environment (different vehicles and certain
locations inside of that vehicle will react differently
Power Demands
Audio Objective (Type of Music, Response and SPL Levels)
Cosmetics (Looks)
Cost (The Cost of a Custom Subwoofer Enclosure can go and be divided up in
many directions)
You can spend a lot of money on just Looks (Fiberglass, Paint, Vinyl, Plex, Neon,

ECT...)

You can spend a lot of money on Performance (SPL or Sound Quality)
It’s finding the right Balance for that particular Project

An Expensive Subwoofer and Amplifier dose Not Equal GOOD BASS

Straight cut MDF and a Box Program dose Not Equal GOOD BASS

Smaller and\or Fewer Subwoofers Done Right Will Out Perform More and\or Larger Subwoofers Done Wrong

Big and Expensive Subwoofers (W7, 9500, Power T) is Not Always More Bass

Big and Expensive Subwoofer Sound Bad in Cheap Boxes; Spend the money on the Enclosure not the Sub

rockmo
02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
thanks zierbox. very good point. and as you pointed out i am a newbee to the competition thing. i am on a limited budget, so i want to do it right the first time.

i have a 91 chevy 1/2 ton ext cab, back seat is coming out, and box goin in! i have 2 of these ma1200xl subs but i may buy one more if there is room. i have not measured anything yet, but i am goin to the sterio shop where i got the subs today and we are goin to look at what room we got! i will post up some measurements later. thanks

rockmo
02-25-2008, 10:02 PM
62" wide, 14" tall, and 23 to 24" deep. only thing is the floor has the trans tunnel and the raised part at the back of the cab floor. i may make the box fit down further but that is alot more calculating! so the measurements above are to sit the box on top of all that.

can 2 cubes ported be done out of this? and would going with lower hz for the tune be better for spl? as i stated before, the factory specs are 2cft @ 40 hz.

will going lower hurt the subs? i am already going to be over powering them a little! but being carefull about it.

zierbox
02-25-2008, 10:10 PM
some thing like this
with the seat out; no prob 4-12" 2 or 3 15"

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc19/zierbox/boxxes062.jpg

zierbox
02-25-2008, 10:11 PM
maybe a better pic

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc19/zierbox/boxxes068.jpg

zierbox
02-25-2008, 10:17 PM
You should have 10 to 15 feet below the window line no problem in that truck ( I have done many)
For really good street bass (and good bass in the front seats) I would fire the subs and port down (floor: like in the pic)
Port tuning 30-to-35Hz be fine

rockmo
02-25-2008, 10:38 PM
that looks sweet, but i dont need anything that extravagant. i do want to build it so that i can put 4 subs in there, just gotta save a few more bucks to buy 2 more.
so what would a set of plans cost for a 8 cube box? i do want the subs firing down or back. but would i gain more for spl if the ports fired foward or down?
thanks for the pix, you build that setup? very sweet work!

ThatChevyGuy
02-25-2008, 10:40 PM
subs up, port up or to the side with clearance.

rockmo
03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
well, i got my ma audio's in the truck, built the 2 cubes at 35hz boxes and these things rock! very good soounding subs! i am happy,,,,for now;)