box will be 36"x16.75x34.75
whitch is right about 10 cubes after subs installed
subs are kicker l5 15 x2
so i have 3.5" x 15.25" port area

my ? how long does my port need to be?

would like to tune them around 36-38 h

ngsm13
02-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Read the stick at the top of this section.

nG

iowaaurora
02-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Read the stick at the top of this section.

nG

i did. i tryed. i still have no idea.:confused:

ngsm13
02-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Well apparently you didn't try very hard.

I'd help, but I'm not on my home computer...

nG

iowaaurora
02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Well apparently you didn't try very hard.

I'd help, but I'm not on my home computer...

nG

back to reading i go

i have no problem trying to work it out if i can but i figure someone or 10 would pop right up whith the answer

iowaaurora
02-25-2008, 05:37 PM
well igot these answers from roe and was wonder if i could get a conformation on these #

Originally Posted by DBDesignsElite
Square Vent:
5.07 Inches would tune you to 36 cycles.
4.48 Inches would tune you to 37 cycles.
3.39 Inches would tune you to 38 cycles.

Slot Loaded:
3.32 Inches would tune you to 36 Cycles.
2.73 Inches would tune you to 37 Cycles.
2.18 Inches would tune you to 36 Cycles.

and aswell the lenth of the port if it was only 3"x8"

IgnoreMe
box will be 36"x16.75x34.75
whitch is right about 10 cubes after subs installed
subs are kicker l5 15 x2
so i have 3.5" x 15.25" port area

my ? how long does my port need to be?

would like to tune them around 36-38 h

for a 36hz tuning, you need a vent length of 5"
for a 38hz tuning, you need a vent length of 3.89"

PS: IMHO 53^2 inches of port is entirely too small for that box

zierbox
The dimensions you gave ? Inside or outside ?
Inside = 10.12 feet (before port and sub)
Outside = 12.12 feet (before port and sub)
Port area = 53.375 sq “
Port length approximately 4” @ 36-38 Hz

IgnoreMe
02-25-2008, 05:38 PM
well igot these answers from roe and was wonder if i could get a conformation on these #

Originally Posted by DBDesignsElite
Square Vent:
5.07 Inches would tune you to 36 cycles.
4.48 Inches would tune you to 37 cycles.
3.39 Inches would tune you to 38 cycles.

Slot Loaded:
3.32 Inches would tune you to 36 Cycles.
2.73 Inches would tune you to 37 Cycles.
2.18 Inches would tune you to 36 Cycles.

and aswell the lenth of the port if it was only 3"x8"

do not use 24^2 of port either...

iowaaurora
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
do not use 24^2 of port either...

please elabrate (that is spelld wrong)

ALSO ICOULD GET IT UP TO AROUND 64 maby 72 tops would it make that much of a diffrence

IgnoreMe
02-25-2008, 05:42 PM
please elabrate (that is spelld wrong)

if you are going to use any decent amount of power on those subs, it just is too small of a port area. you will get some port noise most likely. if you HAVE to do one or the other take the 53^2.

personally, i would shoot for 75-100^2 inches

iowaaurora
02-25-2008, 05:50 PM
if you are going to use any decent amount of power on those subs, it just is too small of a port area. you will get some port noise most likely. if you HAVE to do one or the other take the 53^2.

the problem i have is it is walled off from trunk (2003 impala)

and whith 2 15 that is about all the room i have
i could go to a round port but i dont see that helping me (but i dont know)

and powering them will be a zx 1500

here is link to his car
http://www.kicker.com/06/hookedup/05HUShow.cfm?ID=95051
he just sold his 12 l7 and bought the l5's
and wants them forward firing coming thriugh rear seat whith port between subs

PsychoTheRapist
02-25-2008, 05:52 PM

Agreed, but I think I would shoot for more like 120 - 160 sq. inches of port. To each their own.

iowaaurora
02-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Agreed, but I think I would shoot for more like 120 - 160 sq. inches of port. To each their own.

so should i consider aiming the subs to the rear and porting in to the cabin
or aim the port to the rear and subs into cabin

or should i leave the design alone and just try it

ngsm13
02-25-2008, 06:12 PM
WTF are all these lengths you're spouting off?

nG

ngsm13
02-25-2008, 06:12 PM
60 square inches of port is okay...

nG

IgnoreMe
02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
the problem i have is it is walled off from trunk (2003 impala)

and whith 2 15 that is about all the room i have
i could go to a round port but i dont see that helping me (but i dont know)

and powering them will be a zx 1500

here is link to his car
http://www.kicker.com/06/hookedup/05HUShow.cfm?ID=95051
he just sold his 12 l7 and bought the l5's
and wants them forward firing coming thriugh rear seat whith port between subs

if you can get away using 2 6" psp aero ports, i think that would be your best bet but its not a neccessity. the flare on those ports helps a lot and can be a great idea when your limited on space.

but honestly that zx shouldnt be too much power, its not like you got 30mm of excursion with these guys going all out, so you should be ok with about what you have. i dont know much about the kicker subs at all, i just kind of use a standard of about 60^2 or so per driver in my installs (but then again, i have the room usually) and the drivers i use usually have more linear excursion which im assuming the l5's dont have.

iowaaurora
02-25-2008, 09:23 PM
if you can get away using 2 6" psp aero ports, i think that would be your best bet but its not a neccessity. the flare on those ports helps a lot and can be a great idea when your limited on space.

but honestly that zx shouldnt be too much power, its not like you got 30mm of excursion with these guys going all out, so you should be ok with about what you have. i dont know much about the kicker subs at all, i just kind of use a standard of about 60^2 or so per driver in my installs (but then again, i have the room usually) and the drivers i use usually have more linear excursion which im assuming the l5's dont have.

thanks for your help

any more oppions on this as i am set to start building this in the am and considering the size and the fact it is gonna be a ***** to get togather in the trunk
whith as little as 4 inchs on the sides to work

zierbox
02-25-2008, 09:33 PM
for a 36hz tuning, you need a vent length of 5"
for a 38hz tuning, you need a vent length of 3.89"

PS: IMHO 53^2 inches of port is entirely too small for that box

??

zierbox
02-25-2008, 09:33 PM

??

zierbox
02-25-2008, 09:34 PM

??

zierbox
02-25-2008, 09:40 PM
I don’t think he can make his mind up
Two 6” Areo port equals = 56.52 Sq port area
After he told you 53 Sq was too small ????????????????

100 Sq is way to big (unless this is for SPL Runs only; no Music)

50-60 Sq Port Area is fine
However I do not normally like 15” Subs in a trunk (doesn’t normally work well)

iowaaurora
02-25-2008, 10:45 PM

i dont like 15's at all but he wants he gets

i tryed getting him to do a nice single 12 wanging off 1500 watts but he insisted on 2 15's

IgnoreMe
02-26-2008, 04:21 AM
I don’t think he can make his mind up
Two 6” Areo port equals = 56.52 Sq port area
After he told you 53 Sq was too small ????????????????

100 Sq is way to big (unless this is for SPL Runs only; no Music)

sounds like you need to do some research on flared ports...

1) a 6" flared aero port is ~28^2 of port. the flare on these ports allows for a reduction in vent velocity of over 50%. using a REAL aero port with a good flare will allow you to use roughly 50% the port area, with the same efficiency.

2) i said 53^2 of slot port is too small. if you actually read my post you would see where i said i use roughly 60^2 of port per 15" driver, but i use drivers that usually have 30mm or so of linear excursion and 3kw for each driver. i didnt know what kind of power he was gonna use, or how much those l5's can move. after reassessing and assuming that the l5's arent going to give him some crazy excursion, i said it should work fine.

3) i suggested aero ports for the simple fact that

a) they are more efficient and allow you to use less port area
b) take up less space

JL Audio
02-26-2008, 04:27 AM
george :)

http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/PortedBox/index.html

IgnoreMe
02-26-2008, 04:29 AM
george :)

http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/PortedBox/index.html

the updated one is in my sig. that one had a flaw or two in it. that was way back when i just learned it pretty much ;). i gave them the update, but they never did it.

zierbox
02-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I Apologize if I misunderstood your post in any way, I just ran off at the Keyboard; to quickly

In your first two posts; immediately disputed the small port area without any additional information in regard to Power, Application or Environmental issues.

I myself did the same thing (I normally demand more complete information)
I only answered his direct question of port length in regards to his preexisting box measurements and design (had already given the available port area)

I think what happened was after reading multiple post back to back with very different information was confusing; to myself and the original poster

I am familiar with the Areo Ports system; may not buy into all the marketing claims (don’t misunderstand, they are great products and help tremendously in applications)
I have had to do some experimental test in regards to accurate tuning issues because of their characteristics

Sorry again for any confusion; we both are only trying to help a brother out

IgnoreMe
02-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I Apologize if I misunderstood your post in any way, I just ran off at the Keyboard; to quickly

In your first two posts; immediately disputed the small port area without any additional information in regard to Power, Application or Environmental issues.

I myself did the same thing (I normally demand more complete information)
I only answered his direct question of port length in regards to his preexisting box measurements and design (had already given the available port area)

I think what happened was after reading multiple post back to back with very different information was confusing; to myself and the original poster

I am familiar with the Areo Ports system; may not buy into all the marketing claims (don’t misunderstand, they are great products and help tremendously in applications)
I have had to do some experimental test in regards to accurate tuning issues because of their characteristics

Sorry again for any confusion; we both are only trying to help a brother out

if you see me post on here, you will find that lots of times people need me to repeat or reexplain things. i dont know why it is, but people have a hard time understanding what i write. this doesn't only apply to forums though, as i get this in real life situations all the time as well :crap:. i write about half of what i think, and then think the rest through, and somehow i expect people to make sense of my jumbled thoughts.

not a problem bro.

iowaaurora
02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
i write about half of what i think, and then think the rest through, and somehow i expect people to make sense of my jumbled thoughts.

i am glad i am not the only one

iowaaurora
03-27-2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302592

this is the box

turn out 15.5x4.5= 69.75