PDA

View Full Version : Need Bass w/ no sub!

drzenitram
02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
So I'm going to be buying a Honda Fit soon. The fit is really stinkin' sweet because it has tons of room in the back and has a lot of configurations for space.

I'd like to maintain that amount of space. My speaker size options are 6.5"(4) all around in the front and the back.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy Alpine Type X Ref series 6.5" for the front since I absolutely love the tweeter and they produce pretty decent midbass and my dilemma is what I'll get for the back speakers. I'm thinking I'm going to run an Elemental Designs NINe.4 with them.

Now, what rear speaker 6.5" size(probably going coax) will produce good enough midbass that I won't be crying for a subwoofer?

dman4486
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
So I'm going to be buying a Honda Fit soon. The fit is really stinkin' sweet because it has tons of room in the back and has a lot of configurations for space.

I'd like to maintain that amount of space. My speaker size options are 6.5"(4) all around in the front and the back.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy Alpine Type X Ref series 6.5" for the front since I absolutely love the tweeter and they produce pretty decent midbass and my dilemma is what I'll get for the back speakers. I'm thinking I'm going to run an Elemental Designs NINe.4 with them.

Now, what rear speaker 6.5" size(probably going coax) will produce good enough midbass that I won't be crying for a subwoofer?

tangband ftw

thegreatestpenn
02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
there are 6" subs, but they require a true IB configuration. If that cannot be achieved the drivers and response will suffer. Some also switch to 8's to get more response on the low end, but having the space for them may be tough in that vehicle.

exige
02-25-2008, 02:38 PM
try a CDT M6+ if you can deaden the heck out of the rear panels. tang band is also a good option as previously mentioned.

skateboardkid
02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Check out parts express
6.5" and 7" Tangband subwoofers they have between 9.5 and 12-13 mm of useable throw, not sure how they are gonna work IB though.

drzenitram
02-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Check out parts express
6.5" and 7" Tangband subwoofers they have between 9.5 and 12-13 mm of useable throw, not sure how they are gonna work IB though.

those CDTs are beautiful but I think they're a bit out of my price range.

do the tangbands have to be used in IB? Or can they be mounted like a 6.5" coaxial?

dman4486
02-25-2008, 03:28 PM
those CDTs are beautiful but I think they're a bit out of my price range.

do the tangbands have to be used in IB? Or can they be mounted like a 6.5" coaxial?

believe they are made for ib

ebrunn
02-25-2008, 04:41 PM
That car has plenty of room for a single 10 sub in the back.

drzenitram
02-25-2008, 04:59 PM
That car has plenty of room for a single 10 sub in the back.

I agree, but I don't want to put a single 10 sub in the back. :-/ It's more space than I want to use up, in fact I was having trouble deciding where I'd even mount an amp.

galacticmonkey
02-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Midbass isnt bass....

Two different frequency ranges.

For subbass, you need a subwoofer.

LaserRed38
02-26-2008, 09:43 PM
That car also has plenty of space of a shallow mount 8 or 10 or 12. All in the install.

redrider13
02-26-2008, 09:53 PM
The sub doesn't take up much room at all. My friend has Fit with a Type R & kenwood amp in a small ported box (sorry don't know specs its some $100 fancy looking one from bestbuy, ewww, he's not a diy'er). It makes that little car bump. The rear view mirror moves around so much he can never crank it unless he doesnt want to use his rear view. You could mount the amp to the underside of the left seat, I believe there is enough room to fit an amp under there and still be able to fold the seats down. Or you could just mount it on the back of the seat. Its your choice, the sub really doesnt take up as much room as you think. You just gotta get a smaller enclosure (unfortunately).

drzenitram
02-27-2008, 12:40 AM
The sub doesn't take up much room at all. My friend has Fit with a Type R & kenwood amp in a small ported box (sorry don't know specs its some $100 fancy looking one from bestbuy, ewww, he's not a diy'er). It makes that little car bump. The rear view mirror moves around so much he can never crank it unless he doesnt want to use his rear view. You could mount the amp to the underside of the left seat, I believe there is enough room to fit an amp under there and still be able to fold the seats down. Or you could just mount it on the back of the seat. Its your choice, the sub really doesnt take up as much room as you think. You just gotta get a smaller enclosure (unfortunately).

yeah man, I'm thinking I'm gonna get an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10d VQ, I've heard they're sick in a .75ft^3 sealed box and I can do that with something like 12"x12"x12" which is pretty tiny.

I'm gonna mount the amp under one of the seats, as I hear it folds down just fine even with an amp mounted. Also, I'll put on some easy-disconnect connectors so that if I ever have to load a lot of stuff into the car I can just pull the sub out, scoot the wires back and have all of my trunk space.

With an application like this, how would you guys keep the sub from moving in the back?

LaserRed38
02-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Ok, if you're going to go for it, you can get better equipment for the money. What's your budget, what kind of music do you listen to?

drzenitram
02-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Ok, if you're going to go for it, you can get better equipment for the money. What's your budget, what kind of music do you listen to?

Well, I just heard that that specific driver sounds excellent in a small box. I'm looking to spend probably $200 on the sub, I was thinking about the RL-i 10". I absolutely loved my 15" RL-p.

Not sure what amp I'll go with. I'm probably going to end up with a NINe.5.

LaserRed38
02-27-2008, 04:18 AM
I'd much rather go with that ^ set-up than anything Infinity...

headless
02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Good decision. You need a sub for sub bass - even the monster 7" power line cs woofers don't produce much in an IB setup below 50-60hz at high volumes...and they're just under 4 inches deep; they use the same baskets as rainbow's 7" subwoofer.