PDA

View Full Version : Aero Port Help

the727kid
02-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Alright, I want to switch to Aeros from my slot port to give my subs some more airpsace (2 15s with 5.5cubes is a little small for me).. anyways could anyone help me out here, I know how to design a slot port but not a aero port. How many would I need to get proper port area and the length for say 31-32hz? Box is 38.25wx16hx24.5d

thegreatestpenn
02-24-2008, 11:59 PM
I think 2 6" ports or 4 4" ports is the ticket. length depends on tuning a box internal volume

ngsm13
02-25-2008, 12:04 AM
I think 2 6" ports or 4 4" ports is the ticket. length depends on tuning a box internal volume

Minimum.

nG

miker
03-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Alright.. Didn't want to start a new thread.. so here goes..

Will it sound like **** if I don't flare it??? like.. I'm curious, how would it be different from a slot port? Just seems like the easiest most effective way to go, I just don't want to buy Aero's

I guess I could flare it, but I will have a couple Q's about that *** well.

Dingleberry
03-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Alright.. Didn't want to start a new thread.. so here goes..

Will it sound like **** if I don't flare it??? like.. I'm curious, how would it be different from a slot port? Just seems like the easiest most effective way to go, I just don't want to buy Aero's

I guess I could flare it, but I will have a couple Q's about that *** well.

You don't need to, just follow the 12-16 sq. in. of port per cubic foot rule. Put some 45's and you'll be golden. Slot ports are cheaper by far. Aeros tend to add extra costs towards the enclosure. But they do tend to make tuning easier.

galacticmonkey
03-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Quick question about tuning aeroports I have... Goes along with the OPs post.

When finding the tuning of a aeroport, is it still the same as just finding the tuning for the length?

For example:

Say you have a 2 cubic foot box, and it has 2 4" PVC ports, non flared. If in this instance the inner diameter is 4" of each pipe, that would follow as:

3.14*(2)squared = 12.56. 2 ports would be 25.12sq in of port. Say that gives a tuning of 38hz.

If you used 2 aeroports of the same length in that enclosure, that had the same 4" inner diameter, would it still be tuned the same? Or tuned differently since there is a difference in airflow?

miker
03-15-2008, 07:12 PM
There is an equation to tune cylinder ports based off of slot ports in the "ported vs sealed" sticky. I believe.

miker
03-15-2008, 07:16 PM
hmmm, nvm.. It was converting a cylinder port to a slot..

Does a cylinder port need the same airspace as a slot port?

BrianChia
03-15-2008, 07:26 PM
With a tube port, one can typically get by with less area than a slot port. This is especially true if the ends are flared.

galacticmonkey
03-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Thats where my question stems from. You need less port because of better airflow.

And since its better airflow, does that effect the length it needs to be to achieve the same tuning?

miker
03-15-2008, 07:28 PM
With a tube port, one can typically get by with less area than a slot port. This is especially true if the ends are flared.

Ok, so how do you figure the volume needed?

BrianChia
03-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Thats where my question stems from. You need less port because of better airflow.

And since its better airflow, does that effect the length it needs to be to achieve the same tuning?

The length to port area relationship essentially stays the same regardless of port shape. So if the port area of the tube ports was the same as that of slot ports, then the length would remain the same. But because you can get away with less port area, you'll be able to use shorter port (if you do use less port area), since port area and length are positively correlated for the same tuning frequency.

yunvme666
03-15-2008, 10:36 PM
i say do it, i think the aeros sound alot better musically then the slots i used b4, got a few more on the way i may try 3-4 next then one with a few more just to test......