PDA

View Full Version : subs mounted... steel inclosure?

ccandr
02-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Have a car currently being built , has an area behind the back seat that would be perfect for subs. This area is sealed but dont know the volume. Really looking for advice on mounting subs to metal structures or enclosures...any kind of special instalation tricks? or would this not be a good idea? kinda limited on space...

thanks for any and all info

regal8r
02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
a steel, or metal enclosure would resonate WAYYYYY too much to be any good for subs, not to mention it would weigh a ton..

Powers
02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Not a good idea. Why do you think EVERYONE uses MDF, even on ultra-premium installs?

mikey7182
02-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I've seen it done, but it's tough to get it to sound good because of the resonance of the steel. I've never built one personally, but I'd imagine a simple square enclosure would be 6 sides of steel welded together. Maybe deaden the inside of the enclosure with Dynamat/Raammat/etc, as well as the exterior if you plan on carpeting it or wrapping it in something. Other than that, not sure what other suggestions I'd have.

its_bacon12
02-23-2008, 02:12 PM
hm.. might have some weird resonances.. i'd suggest damping the inside of it well, and have it thick enough it wont flex.

ccandr
02-23-2008, 02:56 PM
not building an enclosure out of it ... it is already part of the car ...no added weight

OoMesKoO
02-23-2008, 02:58 PM
looks like you dont care what we have to say.

You already cut the holes.

blackbonnie
02-23-2008, 03:03 PM
if your gonna keep it like that, deaden the hell out of the inside of that enclosure and put some bracing in there

its_bacon12
02-23-2008, 03:05 PM
if your gonna keep it like that, deaden the hell out of the inside of that enclosure and put some bracing in there

i would spend no less than 12 hours actual work time deadening that enclosure.. and bracing it.. it looks like it's just sheet metal

MyFartsStink
02-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Cut out the metal and make your own enclosure out of mdf. Your making it so complicated and retarded.

Tehgregzor
02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
looks like you dont care what we have to say.

You already cut the holes.

You sound like my parents. Ha.

Anyways, *IF* those holes were made for the subs, then you might as well follow through. However, deadening is a must, whether liquid or mat. In fact, if you're not on any sort of budget, i would go ahead and deaden the entire car while you have it in that stage. Its a day and night difference when deadening is installed properly.

MyFartsStink
02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
i would spend no less than 12 hours actual work time deadening that enclosure.. and bracing it.. it looks like it's just sheet metal

He would spend alot less time cutting out the metal and making a mdf box

ccandr
02-23-2008, 03:11 PM

thanks guys for all the advice, just trying to make the best of the situation

it's braced good, can stand on it...16ga top and front

regal8r
02-23-2008, 03:12 PM
thats gonna flex and resonate like a mofugga, no matter how much bracing... thats only body steel...

MyFartsStink
02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
You might as well not ask if your going to keep on doing it. IT IS NOT RECOMENDED!!!

ccandr
02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
You sound like my parents. Ha.

Anyways, *IF* those holes were made for the subs, then you might as well follow through. However, deadening is a must, whether liquid or mat. In fact, if you're not on any sort of budget, i would go ahead and deaden the entire car while you have it in that stage. Its a day and night difference when deadening is installed properly.

I didnt make this for subs..it just turned out like that...good location I thought.
This part of the car WAS NEEDED for structure not built just for subs!

Joseph M
02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
resin the inside, then deaden over that...

IDSkoT
02-24-2008, 03:52 AM
Cut out the metal and make your own enclosure out of mdf. Your making it so complicated and retarded.

x2

Just cut out that flimsy a** sh*t, make a nice sub box perfect to specs, brace it, do whatever, slide it in, mount it, and weld the metal back on. Or, just keep it off.

IDSkoT
02-24-2008, 03:54 AM
I didnt make this for subs..it just turned out like that...good location I thought.
This part of the car WAS NEEDED for structure not built just for subs!

Bullsh*t. That defies the basic principle of physics. That metal looks like it's .125" thick. I wouldn't sit on it if given the choice, and I only weigh 115 pounds. So get out of here with that garbage.

Edit:: Not to mention there's pre-cut holes on the top, too. Presumably for rear-fill speakers.
Don't get me wrong, ****** idea. Get your own custom built car. But, don't bs us.