PDA

View Full Version : WTF Check Engine light's on...

SethPhillips
02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
gotta 99 acura integra .. it's the model next to the gsr..
check engine light came on mid day yesterday... anyone know what it can be.. everything looks fine. sounds fine.. just changed my oil/ oil filter monday...:confused::confused:

sqhertz
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM
go to autozone and theyll let you use the obd scanner for free.

revrider1
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Mines on, been on for 6mths and nothing wrong. Go get it read with a computer, i think Auto Zone does it

2002XLT
You probably need to check your engine. :fyi:

CRXBMPN
I have an RSX and my service engine light just came on and I had to manually reset it... I wonder if this is the same thing.
Did you gas up recently and not get the cap on right??? I've had that happen a few times with my RSX and also my g/f's Sentra SE

TylerBD12
is your gas cap on tight?

could be anything really, take it to a shop or somebody who has one of those things that tell you what it's on for.

sqhertz
02-22-2008, 11:43 AM

x2.
more than likly its a sensor of some kind.
mine has been on for 200+ miles. its the knock sensor but im too broke right now to go out and get it.

SethPhillips
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM

well no **** dude..
just checked over my vacum lines, gas cap's tight, oil look's good and is at the right level... radiator fluid level look's good... i think it might be my O2 sensor's.... i'll go have atozone pull the codes when i get off of work..

sqhertz
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
well no **** dude..
just checked over my vacum lines, gas cap's tight, oil look's good and is at the right level... radiator fluid level look's good... i think it might be my O2 sensor's.... i'll go have atozone pull the codes when i get off of work..

i did that the other day. they just need your drivers lisence , so if you take off with thier scanner , they know where to find you.

tyler_fitz
02-22-2008, 11:49 AM
mine comes on randomly and its always the EGR valve. i don't what kinda gizmos your integra has but if everything seems fine i bet its something emissions related...

SethPhillips
02-22-2008, 11:50 AM
i did that the other day. they just need your drivers lisence , so if you take off with thier scanner , they know where to find you.

ahhh i forgot.. i know a guy that is a tech at the honda service center at the local honda dealer!!!

he recomended a bunch of ****... he said he would go over the whole car.. and do my timing belt and check my valve clearence for $500.. so i think i'll do that once i get PAID!@

2002XLT
02-22-2008, 11:51 AM
well no **** dude..

lol, 02 sensors **** to replace, mine went out on my old maxima and it was 600 to get fixed by the dealership. Prolly cheaper somewhere else, but still probably a few hundred.

SethPhillips
02-22-2008, 11:52 AM
mine comes on randomly and its always the EGR valve. i don't what kinda gizmos your integra has but if everything seems fine i bet its something emissions related...

other then ebich coilover's and a cold air intake it's bone stock....

SethPhillips
02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
lol, 02 sensors **** to replace, mine went out on my old maxima and it was 600 to get fixed by the dealership. Prolly cheaper somewhere else, but still probably a few hundred.

mine are easy to replace.. i just dont want to replace them till i get my skunk 2 full exhaust system.. not to mention i need 2 O2 sensor's at $95+ a pop!!!

sqhertz
02-22-2008, 11:55 AM
like i said , just go to autozone first and see what the problem is. it may be a simple fix , it may not be. so unless your car is due for belts and everything else you said , it may not be worth it.

FASTIMES
02-22-2008, 11:57 AM
after you check it with a OBD2 scanner it will gve you your code(s) heres what they can be:http://www.troublecodes.net/acura/96-02int.shtml

jdc753
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Here is the solution to all your problems, and I bet you can do it for free too. Get a small piece of black electrical tape and put it over the light and your good to go. I have heard many times of programming being in the cars computers to turn the lights on at certain mileage, for like new struts or adjustments or other stupid things. Heck it could be telling you that you have low washer fluid too lol.

Good luck getting it tracked down, definitely check with autozone for the free hookup and codes.

dman4486
02-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Here is the solution to all your problems, and I bet you can do it for free too. Get a small piece of black electrical tape and put it over the light and your good to go.

like a cap for dimming issues.....just pull the **** bulb

SethPhillips
02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Here is the solution to all your problems, and I bet you can do it for free too. Get a small piece of black electrical tape and put it over the light and your good to go. I have heard many times of programming being in the cars computers to turn the lights on at certain mileage, for like new struts or adjustments or other stupid things. Heck it could be telling you that you have low washer fluid too lol.

Good luck getting it tracked down, definitely check with autozone for the free hookup and codes.

:laugh: haha good advice...

usually the matnince req light will come on for all that stuf.. but check engine like scare's me... i onley drive like a mile total to and from work.. and now with the new house.. to lowe's like everyday....
im gunna get the codes pulled after work.
thanks ya'll

lilmaniac2
02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
ahhh i forgot.. i know a guy that is a tech at the honda service center at the local honda dealer!!!

he recomended a bunch of ****... he said he would go over the whole car.. and do my timing belt and check my valve clearence for $500.. so i think i'll do that once i get PAID!@

sounds like a waste of 500 bucks to me

99grandprixGT
02-22-2008, 11:27 PM
just go to advanced auto or auto zone like people already said. they will come out to the car and scan it for you.

mk_
02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Hmm. Without knowing any info my guess is EGR/Emissions :)

Let us know.

Michael

SethPhillips
02-23-2008, 11:34 AM
i forgot to go to autozone yesterday... but made it to lowe's.. to get baseboards:crap:

motox_727
03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
check engine lights can go on for basically anything.. just get a code reader they are like $50 or most parts stores let u use them to find the problem

BASSMEKANIK
03-18-2008, 03:31 PM
the worst thing you can do is take it to autozone...