PDA

View Full Version : Solid Walnut Box

SEVEN_ELEVEN
02-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Im currently building a sealed box out of solid 3/4" Walnut hardwood. I will be coating the inside with fiberglass resin to fill in the knots and any other possible air leaks. My question is has anyone ever done this before, and if so how will it work?? Im building it at school and I needed a project to work on so if its not really a good idea its not a loss to me. BTW its 2.5 cubes and is going to be housing my 2 12" CVR's.

mokedaddy
02-21-2008, 08:47 PM
As long as it is braced properly and doesnt flex it should be just fine.

bones22
02-21-2008, 11:36 PM
seen some done before they can turn out looking amazing.

IDSkoT
02-21-2008, 11:54 PM
This made me go "WTF? Awesome!"

But, yeah... as long as nothing leaks and it doesn't flex, it'll sound just like a MDF box (at least, in theory... Idk. I'm just a noob. But air space = air space)

BrianChia
02-22-2008, 01:56 AM
The reason real hardwood isn't often used often is because -- it's expensive, it comes in RWL, and most hardwoods do contain voids which can resonate or ring. I'm not sure that resin can eliminate the effects of voids completely, but I'm sure it will help. To be honest though, I don't think you'll have a problem with your enclosure and that is a good project to work on at school.

hempy
02-22-2008, 12:19 PM
You better make it look good. That means no butt joints, cleanly sanded, and a good stain/lacquer job.

Now go.

tyler_fitz
02-22-2008, 12:22 PM
You better make it look good. That means no butt joints, cleanly sanded, and a good stain/lacquer job.

Now go.

and pics, possibly a log...