PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Question: If its sealed, how does the sub move?

silenkiller
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
I mean, if we assume you have a air tight sealed enclosure, where no air escapes from inside of the box, how would the subwoofer be able to move? Like, for it to extend it would create a vacuum, thus not allowing any extension/excursion? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this thought just dawned on me and I'm curious as to an explanation.

hoxie08
02-21-2008, 03:47 PM
it just compresses and decompresses teh air as it moves.

hoxie08
02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
air can compress and decompress very easily. thats why they dont use it in hydrolic stuff.... think about air compressers... air is a gas and fills whatever container it is inside of.

silenkiller
02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah I understand this, but I did not think it would compress so easily heh.

Immacomputer
02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Have you never pushed on a speaker in a sealed enclosure? It is fairly easy to move (depending on the sub and size of the enclosure). Air compresses and expands just like all gases.

Also, a sub has a pretty good amount of force to it when powered properly.

Oh, and there isn't a vacuum when the sub moves out; the air is just expanding as it is a gas and that is the very nature of a gas -- to expand to it's container.

ThatChevyGuy
02-21-2008, 04:04 PM
meh

dleccord
02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Have you never pushed on a speaker in a sealed enclosure? It is fairly easy to move (depending on the sub and size of the enclosure). Air compresses and expands just like all gases.

Also, a sub has a pretty good amount of force to it when powered properly.

Oh, and there isn't a vacuum when the sub moves out; the air is just expanding as it is a gas and that is the very nature of a gas -- to expand to it's container.

Would you say that the more power fed, the more easier it is to move compress?

ThatChevyGuy
02-21-2008, 04:07 PM
What is this retard day?

silenkiller
02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah roger that, I knew that, just dumb moment :rolleyes: