PDA

View Full Version : Does a cheap passive xover = crappy SQ???

ccates21
02-20-2008, 11:18 PM
About every two years, we get new leased worktrucks, so I decided I would drop a few bucks into a sound system for my new 2008 Silverado (company vehicle) this time around. I already have a Kenwood DDX-7015 and an Alpine MRV-1005 to run a Boston Pro 10.4.

Last up is the front stage. I'll be pumping a bridged 150w RMS to each channel/crossover from an old Alpine 3555 (50w x 4)-- so I wanted something decent, but not overboard. Since "dwman" hasn't return my PMs about some used Boston components (or anything else for a few weeks) I resorted to buying a cheap set of Audiobahn 5.25" components to start things off. Fortunately, I've also had a pair of virtually unused Boston Pro 6.4LF Midbasses tucked away in my closet for a rainy day. They were used as a display at a local shop, and I picked them up cheap, hoping to make a nice front stage someday.

Long story short-- While I'm waiting for my truck to get here from the factory, I started shopping for a crossover to properly run the 3-way component front stage that I'm Frankensteining together. I didn't like the options I saw with active x-overs (remember, worktruck = BUDGET). So I went looking for passives to mimic the old Boston 6.4.3 setup I used to love so much. (I really like Bostons!)

That's when I came across these Audiopipe 3-way passive xovers on ebay--
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-PAIR-3-WAY-PASSIVE-CROSSOVER-CAR-AUDIO-FREE-GIFT-3003_W0QQitemZ280201159482QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 280201159482

For $30 shipped, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. No big risk, if they're junk, I'm only out $30. But do cheap crossovers necessarily mean bad SQ? I mean, AUDIBLY bad SQ for everyday listening? I know that the Audiobahn's aren't going to help my cause, but I would hope that the x-overs (being made inexpensively) aren't going to make things worse. After all, they're just passive electrical components... Right? (Again, this is a worktruck... I'm picky, but its not like I'm freaking competing! I just like loud, clean sound.)

Will going cheap on these crossovers really make any REAL audible difference????

tcguy85
02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
as long as the set crossover points work ok with the drivers themselves and the vehicle itself it should be ok.

2critical
02-21-2008, 06:04 PM
as long as the set crossover points work ok with the drivers themselves and the vehicle itself it should be ok.

:iagree:

konechiwa
02-21-2008, 06:40 PM

x3

I used more then one crossover for my SLC's and couldn't hear a difference.

squeak9798
02-21-2008, 09:51 PM
I would be a little worried about the position of those inductors. Looks like a good candidate for crosstalk, which can audibly affect the sound.

ultimate157
02-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I would be a little worried about the position of those inductors. Looks like a good candidate for crosstalk, which can audibly affect the sound.

x2... Off axis FTW

BrianChia
02-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Component quality CAN make a difference as can physical layout. Generally it isn't a problem and the design/topology of the network is typically more important. But if you go cheap enough there can/will be audible effects.

kowboy
02-22-2008, 01:03 AM
fwiw, I replaced my x-overs from my rainbow slc365's with that exact audiopipe x-over. I could NOT tell a difference in sound quality. ymmv though...

helotaxi
02-23-2008, 08:46 PM
And of course if the passive network is just plain wrong for the drivers (impedance, freq, etc...) then the sound and possibly the drivers themselves will suffer.