PDA

View Full Version : Router help

Propimp
02-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I dont have a plunge router i have a fixed base router, here is the link to what I have http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100002215

Can I buy an attachment to make it a plunge router? I want to buy a jasper jig so I can start doing boxes for friends and such. or will the jasper still work for me? I went to go pick one up local and it said for [B]plunge[B] routers
thanks in advance for any help

Propimp
02-21-2008, 10:08 AM
ttt

vwrx_freak
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
it does not have to be a plunge router just the bit needs to be one that can plunge into the wood.

Propimp
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
BUT HOW DO I DROP IT A 1/4 inch each pass then ?

Atimm693
02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
BUT HOW DO I DROP IT A 1/4 inch each pass then ?

I guess you'll have to leave it on and loosen the screw and drop it down, or do it REAL slow in one pass.

Immacomputer
02-21-2008, 05:30 PM
But going slow in one pass can easily burn the wood and bit and it's not good for the bit at all.

You can do single passes as long as you let the bit and router do the work and not your arms (you DON'T want to force the router through the wood. I have used an old straight cut bit for over 20 circles of varying sizes and I have done almost all of them in one pass and the bit is still fine. It's become dull over time but still cuts fine.

Another option is to make your own jig and use 1/4" MDF as the main jig and then make some attachment pieces of 1/4" MDF to go between the main jig and the router. That way you can start high and then remove a piece for each pass. Annoying, but it will work. I would really just do it in one easy pass with no stops, especially if you're not doing this everyday.

Propimp
02-22-2008, 10:24 AM
thatnk you. It has an adjustment on it but I think I can only drop it a 1/4 of an inch. Maybe this is a dumb idea, but can I actully drop the bit some. As in not putting as much of the shank in the router this way the bit sticks out more?

maybe this is what Fargof was talking abuot

Mr Cabinetry
02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with the whole drop the bit in and make the cut the one pass, all that does is put more wear and tear on the router.

I definitely have to disagree with the using 1/4" spacer blocks idea, that's an accident waiting to happen.

If all you have to work with is a fixed base router and you want to use a Jasper Jig to make the cuts, then do this.

Drill a hole thru the material that is larger in diameter than the router bit with the edge of hole at the cut diameter you are going to do, this way, when you lower the router bit to make each pass your not dropping the bit lower into the material and it's a hell of alot safer.

And if your going to to be doing boxes on a continual basis, Ryobi has a pretty good plunge router a decent price that won't bust your wallet.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

Immacomputer
02-22-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the whole drop the bit in and make the cut the one pass, all that does is put more wear and tear on the router.

I definitely have to disagree with the using 1/4" spacer blocks idea, that's an accident waiting to happen.

I can see why you would worry about the router as it does add extra strain but doing 5 circles a year with a single pass in 3/4" mdf is not going to destroy a router. I have been using an old ghetto craftsman router that was rusted up when it came to me and everything is still fine on mine after doing a number of single pass cuts. I'm not saying that single passes aren't harmful in the long run, but for the non-carpenter user, he should be fine. I should have mentioned drilling a hole first but I would think you would have to be a moron to just drop the router straight on top of the wood and if you have the homemade jig screwed down, it would be impossible to do.

How though, could the spacers be "an accident waiting to happen"? If you cut out the spacers to fit on top of the jig, you should be fine but you will need larger bolts for the router.

Something like this:

http://i26.tinypic.com/10zvlll.png

bjfish11
02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Ive used a fixed base router to cut circles with the jasper. Its actually pretty easy.

Raise the bit all the way up, turn on the router, lower it down a little, make your pass. Lower a little more, make another pass, and so on.

Just be sure you lower it very slowly, and make sure you get the depth adjustment tight before you move on.

**Also, I will not be held liable for any fingers lost during the procedure... LOL