PDA

View Full Version : I was thinking about getting an intake...

krisfnbz
02-19-2008, 12:31 AM
For my 1992 civic. I dont want it for speed or anything because its all completely stock. I just want better gas milage. My friend showed me this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-1993-1994-1995-Honda-Civic-Ram-Air-Intake-Filter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ019QQi temZ290206884257QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I just want somethin cheap that will get me a lil better gas milage...

Or is this just a waste of money? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kris

89montero
02-19-2008, 11:45 AM
that thing isn't gonna do $hit
If you get a real one from K&N or another name brand then you should increase HP and millage a little. A real one will cost around $200

dman4486
02-19-2008, 11:49 AM
you will still be restricted by the throttlebody size....the only gain you will get is if you can **** cold air from outside the engine compartment...ie the wheel well, or close to a headlight....other than that you are wasting money

krisfnbz
02-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys...thats all I needed to hear.

moforose3
02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
You can make more power/gas mileage with a warm air intake also- not just a cold. Getting rid of the stock intake plumbing and airbox will open it up. Your not going to see a huge improvement on a civic though. For around $100 you can get a decent intake (aem, injen, etc.).

dman4486
02-20-2008, 08:51 AM
You can make more power/gas mileage with a warm air intake also- not just a cold. Getting rid of the stock intake plumbing and airbox will open it up. Your not going to see a huge improvement on a civic though. For around $100 you can get a decent intake (aem, injen, etc.).

:laugh:when you find some proof to that statement, post it!!!

warm air is less dense, therefore the computer would compensate by injecting less gas, and you would produce less horsepower.....less power--> more mileage

19psi
02-20-2008, 02:52 PM
dont' waste your time. hell you have a civic, you should be happy your mileage is what it is!

2002XLT
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
that thing isn't gonna do $hit
If you get a real one from K&N or another name brand then you should increase HP and millage a little. A real one will cost around $200

Thats the stupidest thing ive heard today. So if i took that same kit and put a 200 dollar price tag on it, it will be a "real" one?

An intake is an intake is an intake, they all do the same thing, provide cooler and more air into the engine. I could go to the hardware store and buy some cheap plumbing, ghetto rig it up to work and put a nice filter cone on it and it would do the same as the K & N kit i have, it just wont look as "nice."

In fact, there are plenty of walkthroughs on how to build your own online.

krisfnbz
02-20-2008, 03:48 PM
dont' waste your time. hell you have a civic, you should be happy your mileage is what it is!

yeah but hey if I could make a small improvement to get better milage... why not?....but I dont feel like really spending the money/time to just get 1mpg more or somethin now that I think about it.

89montero
02-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Thats the stupidest thing ive heard today. So if i took that same kit and put a 200 dollar price tag on it, it will be a "real" one?

An intake is an intake is an intake, they all do the same thing, provide cooler and more air into the engine. I could go to the hardware store and buy some cheap plumbing, ghetto rig it up to work and put a nice filter cone on it and it would do the same as the K & N kit i have, it just wont look as "nice."

In fact, there are plenty of walkthroughs on how to build your own online.

the $10 thing he was looking at on eBay is just a shiny tube with a fancy looking filter on it, not gonna do $hit!

The ones from K&N or other name brands, or a homemade one(if done correctly) will take air from outside the engine compartment or will have a heat shield around the filter.

Scoobydoo
02-20-2008, 04:52 PM
take the silencer box off the stock intake and slap an oem sized K&N in there, $30 and your done

Millertime1028
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Yea , in most cases "short ram intakes' cause a loss of power due to "heat soaking' which is where the intake pulls in the hot air from the engine therefore decreasing performance. If you were to get a cold air intake which is what most people would recommend you have to weigh out the cost/benifits. Let say you spend $100 on one and it gives you 2 miles more to a gallon. Its going to be a long time before that intake pays for itself if you know what I mean .

2002XLT
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
the $10 thing he was looking at on eBay is just a shiny tube with a fancy looking filter on it, not gonna do $hit!

The ones from K&N or other name brands, or a homemade one(if done correctly) will take air from outside the engine compartment or will have a heat shield around the filter.

Yes, but thats not what you said in your other post.

krisfnbz
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
exactly... which is why I probably wont end up doing this.....

Yea , in most cases "short ram intakes' cause a loss of power due to "heat soaking' which is where the intake pulls in the hot air from the engine therefore decreasing performance. If you were to get a cold air intake which is what most people would recommend you have to weigh out the cost/benifits. Let say you spend $100 on one and it gives you 2 miles more to a gallon. Its going to be a long time before that intake pays for itself if you know what I mean .

IgnoreMe
02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
let me say this.

k & n intake and a throttle body on a mustang gt resulted in a gain of 1hp to the wheel on the dyno. did the run myself...

biggest waste of cash i have ever seen.

bumpincrv
02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
i got one i get about 4-5 miles better a gallon and it sounds better power isnt that noticable but it does pull a tiny tiny bit harder

2002XLT
02-20-2008, 05:07 PM
ive raced a stock explorer VS my explorer with just the K & N, and i got off the line quicker as well as beat him buy a good fender up to 70. Didnt really see a huge gain in MPG, i still sit at 16 no matter what, but the sound above 3K is great. Plus i got mine off someone esle that was selling their truck, so i got a good deal on it. :) The papers that came with it shows my exact truck getting a 7 horsepower gain with just the FIPK, but who knows how accurate/truthful that is.

Ignatowski
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
you get what you pay for........a bad filter will mess up your engine and that my friend is one of them

Hintzyboy
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
tke a dryer hose and run it from your tb to the bottom of the engine compartment. use a zip tie to secure it and put in a filter. Will match your head-rest "mouunted" speakers

krisfnbz
02-21-2008, 12:38 AM
tke a dryer hose and run it from your tb to the bottom of the engine compartment. use a zip tie to secure it and put in a filter. Will match your head-rest "mouunted" speakers

haha thats an old pic when I first got into this stuff. Wow ive learned alot since then.Sometimes I go back and look at my previous postings like .....**** was I that stupid?...

Hintzyboy
02-21-2008, 12:55 AM
haha thats an old pic when I first got into this stuff. Wow ive learned alot since then.Sometimes I go back and look at my previous postings like .....**** was I that stupid?...

I know man, just messing with you. Unless you put on other mods, I wouldn't bother putting the CAI on. Not worth it. You'd have to go through probably 20 tanks of gas before a half-way cheap CAI would pay off. At most, I fill up once a week. I can save up enough for a new car in that time. No point.