PDA

View Full Version : Want to make a cut-through on my truck.

jdraughn
02-17-2008, 10:45 PM
I have a 91 Extended Cab Ranger and would like to keep the little bit of seating space I have behind the front seats, so I am thinking I would put the enclosure in the bed of the truck and use that accordian RV seal to seal the hole I cut between the cab and bed.

I have seen a few pictures it, but no in progress pics and have a few questions about the enclosure itself, and how it should be attached to the truck.

My original thoughts were to build the sides and front of the enclosure, set it in the bed of the truck where it will be installed, then lay duct-tape and fiberglass to create the botton of the enclosure. By doing this I can lay the fiberglass in the grooved channels that are in the bottom of the bed, and create a very very strong bottom, that fits perfectly.

Then I read about the bed flexing, so now im thinking thats not the best way of doing it. I don't want my enclosure to break because of the stress put on it from the bed flexing, and I do plan on doing some off roading this summer. I am thinking of angling the bottom of the enlosure so the back of it is a inch or two higher then the bottom of the bed, so if it flexes it has a little room underneath. But that would put a ton of strain on the front of the enclosure since it would be holding up a ton of weight, depending on the size of the box.

Should I cover the whole enclosure in fiberglass to help waterproof the MDF? Should I use bolts to attach the enclosure to the front wall of the bed around the cut-through hole?

I have so many questions about how this should be done to do it right. I have been out of the car audio game for a few years now, and im starting to get the bug again big time.

What are the good subs now adays? Back when I was into it, Adire Audio Brahma's, JL Audio W7's, RE XXX subs, they were some of the best in SQ and SPL. I have no idea what is out there now, and I need to get some idea of what I am going for before I start working on this enclosure. I am thinking of 4 subs, 10", 12", 15"? maybe even 18"? I would like SQ to be the focus, but would like to be pound the pavement if I wanted too. I would like to keep the price as low as possible. I currently have 3 older 12" Infinity Perfects, and they are really getting worn out. They have taken a crap load of abuse over the last 10 years.

2critical
02-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Don't worry about "bed flex", The cab and the bed move independently from each other and this will not effect the box at all. I built my box as big as I needed then I cut out for the wheel wells and gas filler neck (??) and fiberglassed around them, then coated the entire box with fiberglass resin to waterproof. When you build it "in the bed" like this and bolt a couple subs in it there is no need to bolt it down. It fits very tight.