PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer "LOUD" button

wrx_dad
02-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I have an older Pioneer HU. It came w/ the truck and the model is a DEH-16.

Was wondering if any of you that own pioneer HU's use the LOUD button (Low, Med or High) option.

I have one 12" RE w/ a US AMP XT 1600.2 and I did bridge it and it seems to get louder by using the LOUD button, but sounds like POOH and no power to the sub w/o using the LOUD button on the HU :(

I messed w/ the SLA option, crank up the +6 on the eq and it just does not sound good but BASS does come alive, but only when I use the loud button option, which I prefer not to use though...

I'm thinking that I should get another HU. What do you all think?? :crap:

Here is the pioneer HU specs:
http://www.analogstereo.com/cassette_deck_pioneer_deh16.htm

whitemax
02-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Did you set the gains properly the first time around? I would reset them and stay away from the loud button.

ThatChevyGuy
02-16-2008, 06:00 PM
yeah. Turn the source level adjustment (SLA) up to +4 and run your bass flat at 0.

ProgMtl
LOUD button = bad!!

wrx_dad
Did you set the gains properly the first time around? I would reset them and stay away from the loud button.

Yep - sure did. I played w/ the low, mid and high settings, SLA (when playing a CD) and it just sounds like a weak signal to the sub. Press the loud button and (low, med or high) and as I mentioned above, gets loud, but man... I can only get to about volume level of 7 and no more then 10 (its sounds uncomfortable/really bassy).

Press the loud button off, I can crank it to 20 and :crying: weak.

Then when listening to the radio... BLAH!!!

ultimate157
02-16-2008, 06:01 PM
I had the same problem that you are having today. I got it all sorted out.

I ended up with EQ settings of:

Low: +6
Mid: +1
High: +1

I turned down the gain on my amps, and raised HU volume to 55/62. Perfect location before clipping. (HU clipping, not amps)

I then set the gains on my amps. Turned out to be perfect.

Beware, though, that this is just for a reference, because you do not have the same amps as me, and the HU might not be identical either.

I would suggest starting with +4 or +5 on the sub, and HU volume to ~45. Set the gains on the amps and see how that sounds.

wrx_dad
02-16-2008, 06:02 PM
LOUD button = bad!!

I know.. thats why I do not want to use it :crazy:

I think I might swoop up a clarion, Alpine or Kenwood deck.
I never been a fan of the pioneer decks.

ultimate157
02-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh, and I did all the settings with the loud function turned OFF. It can be done, just need to tune it some more. :)

ProgMtl
02-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Does your deck have the "bass engine" BBE button....that one works pretty well without getting a lot of the boominess

wrx_dad
02-16-2008, 06:06 PM
See this is where I have to be careful. Reason being is I am using coaxial speakers speakers and they are wired directly to the HU. So clipping can get bad, real bad at higher volume . That is why I want to allow more power from my amp to the sub. Even if I LFE the amp, set all gains high... its no help getting to sound right w/ BASS. Press LOUD button BOOOOM!! Really BOOMY. $hit rattles everything, but like I said, I cannot go to loud on the volume as my coaxial speakers start to clip. lol :wow:

I had the same problem that you are having today. I got it all sorted out.

I ended up with EQ settings of:

Low: +6
Mid: +1
High: +1

I turned down the gain on my amps, and raised HU volume to 55/62. Perfect location before clipping. (HU clipping, not amps)

I then set the gains on my amps. Turned out to be perfect.

Beware, though, that this is just for a reference, because you do not have the same amps as me, and the HU might not be identical either.

I would suggest starting with +4 or +5 on the sub, and HU volume to ~45. Set the gains on the amps and see how that sounds.

ultimate157
02-16-2008, 06:08 PM
See this is where I have to be careful. Reason being is I am using coaxial speakers speakers and they are wired directly to the HU. So clipping can get bad, real back at higher sounds. That is why I want to allow more power from my amp to the sub. Even if I LFE the amp, set all gains high... its no help getting to sound right w/ BASS. Press LOUD button BOOOOM!! Really BOOMY. $hit rattles everything, but like I said, I cannot go to loud on the volume as my coaxial speakers start to clip. lol :wow:

Do you have bass blockers on your coaxils? I assume that's where most of the distortion is coming from, especially if you're running a full signal to the speakers.

CRXBMPN
02-16-2008, 06:09 PM
that deck does not have a dedicated sub out, does it?

wrx_dad
02-16-2008, 06:11 PM
that deck does not have a dedicated sub out, does it?

Not sure what you mean by that, but it has RCA Preouts (x1 pair) (Rear)

Here's more info about the deck http://www.audioallies.com/getitem.asp?Item=DEH-16&Sys=GG

wrx_dad
02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Do you have bass blockers on your coaxils? I assume that's where most of the distortion is coming from, especially if you're running a full signal to the speakers.

Humm, what are bass blockers? Is it like a capacitor to shut off bass to the coaxils??

ultimate157
02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Humm, what are bass blockers? Is it like a capacitor to shut off bass to the coaxils??

Exactly.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=761&i=127BB150A2&search=bass+blocker&tp=3216

This will help you out a lot, allowing you to turn up the volume some more without distortion.

wrx_dad
02-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Exactly.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=761&i=127BB150A2&search=bass+blocker&tp=3216

This will help you out a lot, allowing you to turn up the volume some more without distortion.

Ok. I'm still old skool on all car audio so I am trying to catch back up ;)

I do still need to dynomat my doors, which I got some today, that should kill the echo that I am getting from my door panel and all the holes on the door itself.
Thanks all.