PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix gold xenon meltdown! (x6.5")

BAZ
02-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Long story short, the crossover for my x6.5's literally melted during a trip from Arizona to Wisconsin. Gain was set very conservatively. (read sig for specs on system) I'm assuming I just overheated it somehow from continuous playing over an extended period of time.

Also, I lost a tweeter because it got detatched from the actual woofer, (they're convertible, meaning you can mount the tweeter directly to the mid driver kind of like a coaxial) and it got crushed in the door when I slammed it.

Basically, I need new speakers. I liked the fact that the xenons were convertible and I thought that when they worked, they sounded great. But they're discontinued.

I'm not really looking to spend more than 100 bucks for a new set so I realize my options are limited but give me some advice on what to buy. If I could score a set of xenons cheap, I'd grab them.

Thank you for reading.

Towncar
02-15-2008, 11:49 PM
If You can live without having the convertables, then I would just get some rsd comps. They sound far better than the xenons ever did.

BAZ
02-16-2008, 06:34 PM
If You can live without having the convertables, then I would just get some rsd comps. They sound far better than the xenons ever did.

I've been reading around and that sounds like the conensus. I may sound ignorant here but would they be okay with my current amp? The rsd's only seem to have a RMS rating of 60 watts when the xenons had 150 RMS if I remember correctly.

BAZ
03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Bump?

mdillon
03-30-2008, 05:27 PM
how did i know someone would recommend rsd's

kidwolf909
03-30-2008, 05:33 PM
how did i know someone would recommend rsd's

Because for the price, they're amazing?... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry one bit about the RSD's seemingly low RMS rating. I'm pushing 150wRMS to each door off my PDX2.150 and they take it like a champ. I've never bottomed them out or heard the coil slapping and I've cranked them pretty **** high...too high for normal listening conditions. The RSD's take a lot more than they're rated for and do it well. Another member here, tcguy, runs each of his doors off 210wRMS if I recall and has no issues whatsoever.

DejaWiz
03-31-2008, 10:41 AM
If you want to stick to convertible comps, check out the Cerwin V-Max65's.