PDA

View Full Version : which components to get...

quiimari
04-22-2003, 10:46 PM
I've got about 250$ to spend... on 6.5" components,heres a couple choices, but I am not sure what to get, so make some suggestions to help me out...

hijon
04-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Alpine SPX-177A http://www.ikesound.com/1024.htm ($245)

Diamond Audio M661 http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/caraudio/product.asp?sku=12431 ($229)

JL Audio XR650-CSi http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/caraudio/product.asp?sku=11421 ($269)

Some suggestions to think about. I've heard great things about all of these as well as the Infinitys and Focals mentioned in your poll.

Gauntlet
04-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Of those in your poll, I'd get either the Infinitys (if it's the Perfect model), or the Focals...

nswartley
04-23-2003, 10:57 PM
i second the alpine type-x's....awesome all around comps for the price.

-nate

quiimari
04-23-2003, 11:35 PM
how would you guys compare the type X's you listed versus the Focal Polykevlars??

mykeys
04-23-2003, 11:49 PM
Focal the Type X is no contest from my hearing.. ID Chameleons would be another to think about.

Mike

quiimari
04-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by mykeys
Focal the Type X is no contest from my hearing.. ID Chameleons would be another to think about.

Mike

sorry I dont follow... "focal the type X..." hmmm, again which is better?

dave_3148
04-24-2003, 12:47 AM
yeah im thinking if going with the pines also

Acid
04-25-2003, 05:27 AM
I have the alpines and the treble seems abit harsh..anyone has this problem? It could be a setting problem...but I really don't know..I tried backing down the treble from the head set...but it still sounds harsh...hmmm
I heard my pal's Kickers and they sound great! Thought of changing now. any comments?

bumpin_blazer
04-25-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Acid
I have the alpines and the treble seems abit harsh..anyone has this problem? It could be a setting problem...but I really don't know..I tried backing down the treble from the head set...but it still sounds harsh...hmmm
I heard my pal's Kickers and they sound great! Thought of changing now. any comments?

tweets can be tamed if you know how to tune simple as that plus if you have a good eq. on that list the focal's blow everything else out of the water.

adam

dave_3148
04-25-2003, 05:34 AM
**** i dont know what to get either!!!

Acid
04-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Anyone tried boston acoustics components?

bumpin_blazer
04-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Anyone tried boston acoustics components?

heard them good stuff, boston pro's are better but my fav. are the one's i'm getting in june the boston z1's.

adam

Acid
04-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Oh the Z1? Not the Z5 or Z6? well they are way above my budget....and why are u going to get the older stuff? Issit better? or isst just personal preference? I realised thathey didn't give the RMS for the Rally series....they only gave a output from 20-275watts.Does anyone know the RMS for the RC620?

bumpin_blazer
04-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Oh the Z1? Not the Z5 or Z6? well they are way above my budget....and why are u going to get the older stuff? Issit better? or isst just personal preference? I realised thathey didn't give the RMS for the Rally series....they only gave a output from 20-275watts.Does anyone know the RMS for the RC620?

it was a typo my good man. i honestly dont know when i'm getting them but when i get my new truck is when i'm picking them up for 400 new from a shope here.

adam

MTXTANT
04-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Definitely the Focals.......the polyglass are great comps for the price.

-peace

brycefowles
04-26-2003, 09:36 PM
you could always put a resister on your twet to get it to produce less sound.

MikeofTulsa
04-26-2003, 09:39 PM
already had a 4 page threed like this .....but im suggesting adire audio koda 6.1's

bumpin_blazer
04-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Goddyd4me
already had a 4 page threed like this .....but im suggesting adire audio koda 6.1's

i thought i already suggested em good job goodyd4me great comps just 100 bucks more than what your looking to spend but if you can wait save the extra 100 and get em.

adam

quiimari
04-27-2003, 05:27 PM
since I will have the component focals in the front, should I get mids for the back? or stick to a coaxial?

bumpin_blazer
04-27-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by quiimari
since I will have the component focals in the front, should I get mids for the back? or stick to a coaxial?

you don't need more than 1 set or properly amped speakers in your car. i'd say stick with a 2 way setup in the front and leave it as that. if you want stuff in the back get coax or 3-way speakers back there and i don't mean 3 way seperates just 3 way speakers.

adam

MikeofTulsa
04-27-2003, 06:43 PM
agreed.....genrally adding speakers in the rear will throw off your imaging........

MTXTANT
04-27-2003, 08:06 PM
I run MB Quart 3-way comps up front and MB Quart 5.25" 2 way comps in the rear and have never had an imaging problem. I just have the gain down on the rear channels so I don't lose the imaging.

-peace

MikeofTulsa
04-27-2003, 08:09 PM
well......for the best imaging u want the music comeing from in front of you......no rear fill......

MTXTANT
04-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Agreed.......but with the proper amount....rear fill can add depth to the image. Not much is needed...and is easily over done if you're not careful.

-peace

MikeofTulsa
04-27-2003, 08:38 PM
well im not going to argue w/ you about it....but looking at it from a sq comp point of view rear fill is almost always going to damage your imaging......

avistar23
04-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by MTXTANT
Agreed.......but with the proper amount....rear fill can add depth to the image. Not much is needed...and is easily over done if you're not careful.

-peace

As far as i kno... rear fill does nothing but damge your imaging.

Gauntlet
04-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Goddyd4me
well im not going to argue w/ you about it....but looking at it from a sq comp point of view rear fill is almost always going to damage your imaging......

Definitely....if you really need rear-fill, put a dedicated midbass driver back there...

MTXTANT
04-27-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by avistar23
As far as i kno... rear fill does nothing but damge your imaging.

Well, do you claim to know everything ?? If not then that was a worthless statement. I use rear fill because I like it and thats it. I don't care if it's "wrong" in other peoples ears because its MY system. Maybe YOU may think it damages imaging but I happen to think it enhances it. Enhancements are something I happen to like. Thats all I'm trying to say and Goddy4me I also understand what you're saying and I agree with you as far as what you were trying to get accross. I just happen to like rears is all.

-peace

nswartley
04-27-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MTXTANT
Well, do you claim to know everything ?? If not then that was a worthless statement. I use rear fill because I like it and thats it. I don't care if it's "wrong" in other peoples ears because its MY system. Maybe YOU may think it damages imaging but I happen to think it enhances it. Enhancements are something I happen to like. Thats all I'm trying to say and Goddy4me I also understand what you're saying and I agree with you as far as what you were trying to get accross. I just happen to like rears is all.

-peace

just read..... http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Phasing/Phasing.htm

-nate

MTXTANT
04-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by nswartley
just read..... http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Phasing/Phasing.htm

-nate

Why would I need to read that ?? I know what I like already. I have what I want and don't need anything else. Thanx anyway though.

-peace

MTXTANT
04-27-2003, 11:31 PM
I just want you guys to know that I agree with what all of you're saying. I'm not trying to argue with ya guys one bit. From a standpoint of competition you guys are correct. I'm just the type of person that believes that it doesn't have to be what the pros say it should be in order to be right. I look at it like this. I have the room in my car to put 2 more speakers (rear) in the back and utilize them for the sound that I want. When I go to a sound off I'm going to fade to the front. I'm a huge fan of 360 deg sound and thats what I'm trying to accomplish.

-peace

Gauntlet
04-27-2003, 11:35 PM
If it sounds good to you, then that is all that matters......I personally prefer to have the mids and highs coming from the front, and the bass from the back....having any form of mids/highs in the back throws everything off for me....

bumpin_blazer
04-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Gauntlet
If it sounds good to you, then that is all that matters......I personally prefer to have the mids and highs coming from the front, and the bass from the back....having any form of mids/highs in the back throws everything off for me....

i fully agree with that statement. i know right now i have nothing but canton 5.25"s up front with 100watts per speaker. i have a pair of 6.5"s mb quarts that i am going to put back in my rear doors but have it faded to the front at 25 so there is no rear fill at all for when it's just me by myself or with 1 other person. now when i have anyone in the back i'm going to put the fade a little bit more evenly faded so that the people in the back have something to hear other than 63hz and below. i just have to find an amp that does 100 watts per channel to each speaker that i like.

adam

Gauntlet
04-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by bumpin_blazer
i fully agree with that statement. i know right now i have nothing but canton 5.25"s up front with 100watts per speaker. i have a pair of 6.5"s mb quarts that i am going to put back in my rear doors but have it faded to the front at 25 so there is no rear fill at all for when it's just me by myself or with 1 other person. now when i have anyone in the back i'm going to put the fade a little bit more evenly faded so that the people in the back have something to hear other than 63hz and below. i just have to find an amp that does 100 watts per channel to each speaker that i like.

adam

Bah. Fu*k the backseat passengers, they aren't paying thousands of dollars for the system. If they wanna hear anything above 63hz, they can drive their own car. ;)

bumpin_blazer
04-28-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Gauntlet
Bah. Fu*k the backseat passengers, they aren't paying thousands of dollars for the system. If they wanna hear anything above 63hz, they can drive their own car. ;)

1000's hehe yeah right. under 400 for subs, built box 100, 325 for amp 500 for h/u 125 for comps and 100 for kick panels, wiring was 70 bucks for all of it maybe 300 in dynamat xtreme my parent's bought it b/c i told em it would keep more sound in and rattle the house less hehe. so maybe 1500 hehe but it is mainly either girls that ride in my back seat that are my fiance's friends or my family or good friends and i want them to hear somethin.

adam

quiimari
04-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by bumpin_blazer
1000's hehe yeah right. under 400 for subs, built box 100, 325 for amp 500 for h/u 125 for comps and 100 for kick panels, wiring was 70 bucks for all of it maybe 300 in dynamat xtreme my parent's bought it b/c i told em it would keep more sound in and rattle the house less hehe. so maybe 1500 hehe but it is mainly either girls that ride in my back seat that are my fiance's friends or my family or good friends and i want them to hear somethin.

adam

i feel the same way...