PDA

View Full Version : Parametric vs Graphic

Macklessdaddy
02-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Pound for pound which is better,take for instance pioneer's 980 has 16 bands and kenwoods x991 has a 4 band peq,can somebody explain which is better and why and is 16 bands really necessary.Break it down 4 me.

zSnb
02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I'll take all the bands of EQ I can get. If you have the ability to adjust more frequencies then you will just have that much more control of your sound. Graphic and parametric are generally just different ways of doing the same thing. I prefer graphic just because to me its so much more straight forward and simple to use. In graphic you simply pick a frequency and decide to either increase or decrease it. It doesnt get more simple than that. I would take a 16 band graphic over a 4 band peq.

loserpunk
02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
your main adavantage for parametric over graphic depends on how many bands your graphic is and how far(how many octaves) the freq selections are, if your system is tuned almost flat and spikes at one specific freq that the graphic doesn't let you choose, then you have to cut the two freq on the graphic (one above and one below) thereby effectively getting your system out of tune, with the parametic you simply select that freq and tune you aren't limited to a certain freq. and in most cases if you take the time to RTA a system a parametric eq can do just as good of a job if not better than graphic however as stated above some people find graphic a lot easier to use

audioarsonal
02-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Parametric by far gives more control.Being able to change freq as well as Q is much better then only being able to raise or lower on a graphic eq.